Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Upcoming Epic Gems and Profession Changes

Quote Originally Posted by drumsandguns
    Hah! All the other professions get their bonuses pretty easily and right away, but blacksmiths HAVE TO shell out on epic gems (gonna be a lot in the beginning, I'm sure) to get their bonus.
    Only the gathering professions get bonuses upon skilling up (LW/Mining/Herb) whereas BS/Enchanting/Tailoring/Eng have to craft their benefits so stop acting like you're being singled out.

Quote Originally Posted by stupid11
    It's to equalize the benefit you receive for being every other profession in arenas.

Now I wonder what the new values on the Engineering shit is......
    We can make a reasonable guess.

Currently, engineering receives the same ivalue increase as every other production profession, it just isn't as good in realistic terms because haste isn't as good as spellpower. Tailoring gets an increased effect for the same reason as engineering has a reduced one: Because it's trading haste for spellpower instead of spellpower for haste.

Currently, every profession gains 33 item value (that's 33 rating points, or 37-39 spellpower, rounding-dependent--spellpower costs 6/7ths of an item value point). To illustrate the current tailoring and engineering values:
    Engineering gives 340 haste with 1/6th uptime, or 56.67 haste. This is 56.67 item value. It replaces a 28 spellpower (24 item value) enchant, giving engineering haste gloves a value of 32.67. Slightly low, but remember, rounding.
    Tailoring gives 250 spellpower with 1/4th uptime (such procs with 45 second internal cooldowns are designed around one proc per minute--in realistic terms it tends to have higher than this, but from Blizz's balance standpoint, it's 1/4th), or 62.5 spellpower, a value of 53.57 item points. It replaces a 23 haste enchant, which is worth 23 item points. An increase of 30.57. Slightly "low", from Blizzard's standpoint, but considered overpowered nonetheless.

The epic gems, if previously mined data is correct, will be worth 20 points instead of 16. The yellow gems have 20 rating instead of 16, the spellpower gems have 23 (rounding down) instead of 19 (which rounded up--this may reduce how often you're better off with a red than an orange in a yellow socket and ignoring a socket bonus). So blacksmithing is gaining 8 value since its two extra gems will be gaining 8 value. I assume this will make the new value for all professions +41. In spellpower terms, this is 46-49, depending on how they round.

So I can guess the new ring enchants will be +24 instead of +19 each. The new Dragon's Eyes will be 36 spellpower each instead of 32, or 31 rating instead of 27.

Using the same math above to reverse "engineer" the engineering and tailoring enchants, the new lightweave embroidery would be 300 spellpower proc instead of 250 (could be slightly below, 280-300, depending on how they round and whether they use exactly 1ppm or something odd like 1.04), and the new engineering haste gloves would be 390 haste (again, could be anywhere from 380-400 really, but expect something near here) for 10 sec every 60.

Quote Originally Posted by stupid11
    Now I wonder what the new values on the Engineering shit is......
    I imagine it's something awesome like "520 haste / 1820-2100 damage / 1200 armor".

Quote Originally Posted by Xentropy
    We can make a reasonable guess.

Currently, engineering receives the same ivalue increase as every other production profession, it just isn't as good in realistic terms because haste isn't as good as spellpower. Tailoring gets an increased effect for the same reason as engineering has a reduced one: Because it's trading haste for spellpower instead of spellpower for haste.

Currently, every profession gains 33 item value (that's 33 rating points, or 37-39 spellpower, rounding-dependent--spellpower costs 6/7ths of an item value point). To illustrate the current tailoring and engineering values:
    Engineering gives 340 haste with 1/6th uptime, or 56.67 haste. This is 56.67 item value. It replaces a 28 spellpower (24 item value) enchant, giving engineering haste gloves a value of 32.67. Slightly low, but remember, rounding.
    Tailoring gives 250 spellpower with 1/4th uptime (such procs with 45 second internal cooldowns are designed around one proc per minute--in realistic terms it tends to have higher than this, but from Blizz's balance standpoint, it's 1/4th), or 62.5 spellpower, a value of 53.57 item points. It replaces a 23 haste enchant, which is worth 23 item points. An increase of 30.57. Slightly "low", from Blizzard's standpoint, but considered overpowered nonetheless.

The epic gems, if previously mined data is correct, will be worth 20 points instead of 16. The yellow gems have 20 rating instead of 16, the spellpower gems have 23 (rounding down) instead of 19 (which rounded up--this may reduce how often you're better off with a red than an orange in a yellow socket and ignoring a socket bonus). So blacksmithing is gaining 8 value since its two extra gems will be gaining 8 value. I assume this will make the new value for all professions +41. In spellpower terms, this is 46-49, depending on how they round.

So I can guess the new ring enchants will be +24 instead of +19 each. The new Dragon's Eyes will be 36 spellpower each instead of 32, or 31 rating instead of 27.

Using the same math above to reverse "engineer" the engineering and tailoring enchants, the new lightweave embroidery would be 300 spellpower proc instead of 250 (could be slightly below, 280-300, depending on how they round and whether they use exactly 1ppm or something odd like 1.04), and the new engineering haste gloves would be 390 haste (again, could be anywhere from 380-400 really, but expect something near here) for 10 sec every 60.
    too much common sense, logic, and reason being applied here. GTFO.

all kidding aside, great post. i think you're right on.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

holy shit epic gems from titanium is fucking awesome.

i have a shitload of titanium rotting in my bank

Quote Originally Posted by Zhabin
    Only the gathering professions get bonuses upon skilling up (LW/Mining/Herb) whereas BS/Enchanting/Tailoring/Eng have to craft their benefits so stop acting like you're being singled out.
    Think you´re missing his point a bit there.
    BS is the only profession who don´t get the upgraded itemstats on their profession for free when the patch comes.
    Ringenchants, embroideries and engineering-gadgets already put on your item will just magically be a little bit better.
    Not so for blacksmiths, the 2 extra sockets will still have the same gems you have in there now, there comes the need to get epic gems
    to feel the effect of the buff to professions in the patch (unless you are a JC plus a little silly and put your prismatic gems in a socket with no bonus before the patch...)

Oh, I'm not a BS. That's why I laughed. But the mats for the others, if they are unchanged, are going to be pretty easy to get. And can be purchased now, well before there is demand. BS are either going to have to hoard titanium and hope for the best or shell out tons of gold. I think it's funny is all!

So does that now make eng the most worthless profession in any mmo? Oh wait you can make the chopper still...
    Yes you are still the worst moderator on these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    So unless you have a source besides your rectum, we'd appreciate if you didn't spread misinformation

Don't you love dropping Alchemy and 2 days later find out it isn't worthless for pvp anymore.

Also, kinda sad the BS isn't changed at least a little, perhaps remove the mat cost seeing as we have to PUT A GEM IN THE SLOT to get the effect anyway.

The others seem rather balanced and I expected them.

15+ Year Old Account

buffed fur lining? not bad.. i'd like to see how much though.

I C NO JC NERFS WOOOOO

"goes to do JC daily"

Quote Originally Posted by drumsandguns
    Oh, I'm not a BS. That's why I laughed. But the mats for the others, if they are unchanged, are going to be pretty easy to get. And can be purchased now, well before there is demand. BS are either going to have to hoard titanium and hope for the best or shell out tons of gold. I think it's funny is all!
    Or simply get emblems of heroism. Heroics are hard amirite.

By the way, loving this. At least i won't need to re-reroll to blacksmithing come 3.2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chin
    Garrosh would wage war against the ocean for not being made out of orcs.

Bah, i liked the epic gem distribution in btc more then this way.. ahwell guess everyone really needs to walk in epics :P
    My pala (Cleai)

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&n=Cleai

Wtb epic jc trinkets

I really enjoyed reading these news!
    Now the prismatic nerf of dragon's eye gems doesn't feel as bad.

Regarding blacksmiths: Its true that you have to get the new epic gems for those slots, but consider the tradeoff, you get to put anything available on an epic gem into that slot. Whatever you personally value, its there. On the otherhand, many of the other profesions have very few choices. As an enchanter I can choose SP, AP, or Stam. I would give anything to trade my SP ring enchant for equal itemization value in INT, but I'm stuck with SP unless I want to change professions. I think on balance, Blacksmiths will end up ahead (tied with JCs) in the end, but have to suffer through the time it takes for epic gems to become available.

Nice. Blacksmiths get to buy 2 epic gems for their bonus while the other professions just receive a static +% on current existing perks.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nachogod
    Nice. Blacksmiths get to buy 2 epic gems for their bonus while the other professions just receive a static +% on current existing perks.
    Blacksmiths would be buying epic gems for those slots anyways.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by nachogod
    Nice.  Blacksmiths get to buy 2 epic gems for their bonus while the other professions just receive a static +% on current existing perks.
    What the heck were you expecting otherwise? Two extra epic gems compared to everyone else is still a sweet deal.

Besides, this is really only about epic gems and how it will affect profession perks, we don't know what else will happen with the profession (new designs, etc.). Just wait till the patch notes come out.

Still...wish they'd announced this while the servers are still up so I could buy up all the Titanium ore before the prices go up....

I hope they buff the Dragon's Eyes according to both proffesion buffs and epic gems.