Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Which profession should I choose to maximize DPS?

I have some money which I can spend on power-levelling other profession (I want to replace herbalism, my DK will be gatherer now :P), to maximize my DPS. I won't leave Inscription since I'm not exalted with Sons of Hodir and Master Inscription is very nice. So which option is optimal for me:

- Jewelcrafting (Don't forget about incoming nerfs)
    - Enchanting (possible source of money when high skilled, free +40 SP, not overwriting any other enchant)
    - Tailoring? (Embroidery looks very good, but proccing may be unlucky, and I'd lose cloak enchant)

Are there any theorycraft charts about it?

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ne&n=Iammighty

Here's my armory if someone is interested.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Inb4 acting like grammar nazi - I don't live in England, sorry.

Re: Which profession should I choose to maximize DPS?

Come 3.2 all the crafting professions will be roughly equal. Btw if you want to maximize dps I'd also put the highest enchants on your gear (Chest/cloak)

True, I need to replace cloak enchant. But +10 on chest is pure waste of money, only attribute which would increase my DPS is Spirit, by 0,5SP - basically nothing

I would say JC, even if it's only slightly noticible.

Why not go with Skinning?...crit increase?

Spending 3-4k to powerlvl a profesion for a max of 100 dps increase is rly stupid.

Unless you are or want to be in a rly hc raiding guild,dont spend your money.

Use herbalism for selling herbs,save money for the next expansion.when they announce the next xp prof changes(or maybe a new one) then re roll the best one.

JC is definitely top for classes that use Strength/Agility as it is a lot better than AP for the classes that use it. Doesn't really matter for casters though as Spell Power isn't a stat and therefore doesn't scale with kings, etc.

Mesija - 100DPS in long fights such as Mimiron, Vezax, Yogg is HUGE difference when I compete with Mages and other locks and our Damage done differences are like 0,1% And I'll level herbalism on my DK so it's not problem

If it will increase my DPS by 100 - ill be in heaven:P

So ok, now the question is - what is better:

Embroidery PROC, or +40 SP guaranteed by Enchanting/JC?

Quote Originally Posted by Iammighty
    True, I need to replace cloak enchant. But +10 on chest is pure waste of money, only attribute which would increase my DPS is Spirit, by 0,5SP - basically nothing
    And Int, and if you're a hard core raider doing hard modes, even 2 Stam will help

As far as I know the cloak enchant is OP and continues to be, but don't hold me to that

Mesija - 100DPS in long fights such as Mimiron, Vezax, Yogg is HUGE difference when I compete with Mages and other locks and our Damage done differences are like 0,1% And I'll level herbalism on my DK so it's not problem

If it will increase my DPS by 100 - ill be in heaven:P

So ok, now the question is - what is better:

Embroidery PROC, or +40 SP guaranteed by Enchanting/JC?
    Ok,if you want to go with heavy raiding i would suggest JC

Why?gems will lose prismatic socket,but still be buffed.

Also,you can make tons of money on epic gems

also...Next expansion...i think everyone will need gems

Deleted

As an engineer I can say I'm loving 3.2 A free 2k (3.5k crit) rocket every 45 sec is quite better than any other glove enchant ingame. Free water-breath on belt since there are no belt enchants in the game, not usefull but nice to have. Nitro boots to replace Icewalker since it's the same stats with the Rocket Run on the Nitro boots.

The rocket gloves gives about 50-60 DPS if you weave it into a spammable macro.

Anyways, this is just me, but I personally love Engi Wouldn't ever re-spec it

As said though, all the proffessions are near the same benefit for DPS in 3.2.

If you go for something else, it's all about utility.

Do you have a steady income of raw ore to maximise Jewelcrafting?
    Do you want to shard all the loot you get and possibly make more from greens?
    Do you want to fly around on a magical carpet?

As far as money is concerned, don't rate it too high with Jewelcrafting. Every second player or more are JCs, so the competition will be fierce.

Just one single word of advice: don't get engineering. All the fun recipies are tagged for the trading card game and the bonuses from engineering aren't as good as the other professions.

P.S. No, there are no charts. All professions, except Engineering and Tailoring, give the same value for your time. JC will be just ever so slightly better.

I PL'd tailoring for my main (resto druid) over herbalism, and the proc is OP. It's also relatively easy to do - on my server, it cost ~500g I believe. I had to farm up mageweave, but hit up ZF a few times... you can get 4-5 stacks within a couple runs pretty easily. 420 required... oh, I'm gonna say 20 stacks of frostweave, but I already had that in reserve so it wasn't too bad.

Lightweave procs ALL the time. I can count on it proc'ing instantly on my first spell cast, and then proc again as soon as the ICD is up. Darkweave I can't comment on (haven't tried it yet), but from the other tailors in guild, it really doesn't proc even half as much. So if you want it for lightweave, it's amazingly OP and you'll have it up almost constantly. I never have a problem refreshing hots even with it's fading, which gives you an idea of how much it's up

Tailoring is the best pure dps wise, but engineering might be worth it if you're shooting for hard modes (where a short speed burst or a haste buff might make more of a difference then a few dps).

Thats the idea of "maximising" your dps so you can actually max out everything. Guilds in general (mins does at least) frown upon applications where people use sub par enchants and their excuse is "oh its expensive" - yeah, epic gems will only give 4 SP more than the runed scarlet rubies yet it adds up. So will having 2 more stam/ int/spirit. You toon but basically if you want to maximise your dps you are contradicting yourself excusing having cheap enchants.

Anyway enough of the dogma - for profs I went for tailoring and JC. JC's still good and as said lightweave just keeps getting better. JC/ tailoring, tailoring/ enchanting or enchanting/ JC would be my pick

I had herbalism and inscription too. Now rerolling Herbalism to enchanting..

It's great money with enchanting at high level..

Quote Originally Posted by hypertesia
    It's great money with enchanting at high level..
    On what planet? There are, at any time of the day, at LEAST 10 people willing to do ANY enchant for FREE because of all the morons wanting to level it quick and easy....there is VERY little $ to be made with enchanting aside from the ability to DE stuff.

I am Druid - Play Free Online Games

Taken from the EJ thread "PVE Raiding Compendium v3.1"

Professions

Professions are a large part of min maxing, gathering professions aren't very helpful but the main crafting ones are. Also don't forget to level your fishing for the new epic UE gems!

Jewel Crafting

Jewel crafting still stands as THE best profession for warlocks. The functionality of prismatic gems is amazing. Lets look at the math:

All warlocks will be running [Chaotic Skyflare Diamond] in 3.1. To satisfy these you need atleast 2 blue gems. the best option for a blue gem is [Purified Twilight Opal] which yields 12 spelldmg (assuming demonic aegis..

Assuming all other gems would be [Runed Scarlet Ruby] which is 19 spelldmg.

So We have 32*3-(19+12+12) which is 53 spelldmg + the option to choose the best socket bonuses to use, which is a min of 67 dps increase using the 40-31 scale factors

Tailoring

The new Lightweave Embroidery reads

"Embroiders a subtle pattern of light into your cloak, giving you a chance to increase your spell power by 250 for 15 sec when casting a spell."
    w
    It has a 45second ICD, and procs roughly 60% of the time it's not up. So we can assume it will proc every 50 seconds. So what value does that give us?

250spelldmg*15 seconds /50 seconds = an average of 75 of static dmg. Now if we look at the 040-31 scale factors, spelldmg is 1.32 dps and haste is 1.03

so the Lightweave is 99 dps and the haste is 23.69 dps. so that gives us a total of 75.31 dps increase over the usual.

Enchanting

Enchanting has the ability to use 2 ring enchants that add a total of 38 spellpower and replace nothing. Which ends up being about a 50.92 dps increase.

[top]Alchemy

Mixology is a nice bonus, you gain both 39 spellpower when using YOUR OWN flask and they are double length so for the thriftier of us it's very nice and yields 51.48 dps.

Inscription has it's own shoulder enchant: Master's Inscription of the Storm

So thats (once again using to 40-31 scale factors) 93.14dps vs
    the Hodir exalted enchant [Greater Inscription of the Storm ] which is 43.26dps

So the net dps you gain is 49.88 dps.

Blacksmithing

Blacksmithing isn't a front runner by any means in it's bonus, yet! Well that is to say at the moment it's no better than say, enchanting, you gain 2 bonus sockets from Socket Bracer and Socket Gloves so that's 2x19 sp, or 38 total spellpower, or (once again from 40-31 scale factors) 50.92 dps. Now when ever epic gems are released the bonus of these two sockets will scale, for example if (note this is based of 0 information) the epic gems are say 23 sp, you would gain a total of 46 spell power or 60.72 dps.

Leatherworking

Leatherworking, while no longer providing the amazing drums from sunwell days, does provide a unique bracer enchant: Fur Lining - Spell Power which is a 37 spellpower increase over the default 30 spellpower, which as you can see is right in line with all the other bonuses, and increased dps by just over 50 for 40-31

Engineering

This pvp oriented profession brings a good hand enchant: Hyperspeed Accelerators Which yields 56.67 average haste if you were to use it every min. Which is 58.367 dps subtract the standard 37 dps of the 28 spellpower gloves and you get +20.8 dps upgrade
    With the 3.2 changes I think Blacksmithing becomes an excellent choice, but an expensive one to level.

sssssshhhhhhhh! stop saying Embroideries are OP. They will nerf it!

On a serious note, Enchanting is pretty good and that is common knowledge but JC is better. If you are already a maxed enchanter, to drop it and level JC is really expensive and probably not worth it imo... after 3.2 that is.

I think tailors got buffed because there was really no reason to be a tailor before now. Frozen Shadoweave and the BOP chest pattern in SWP was nice in BC and some of the Vanilla tailors-only patterns were nice, but nothing that wouldn't be replaced in a month or two if you were a hardcore. The reason Embroideries are so good are because we actually have to sacrifice an enchant that already exists. Yes it is nice, but it doesn't stack with the exceptional speed enchant anyone and their brother can get. For this reason, it could be considered OP. If it stacked and we could have the haste enchant AND Embroidery, that would certainly be OP, but we have to choose one or the other, and that keeps it in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Nithian
    On what planet? There are, at any time of the day, at LEAST 10 people willing to do ANY enchant for FREE because of all the morons wanting to level it quick and easy....there is VERY little $ to be made with enchanting aside from the ability to DE stuff.
    DE is an ability of enchanting, so you can make great money of it. Don't say it isn't cause there are a lot of people that do it for free, but that the DE gives money. DE = Enchanting too so it is good.