Thread: Hodir Help

Hodir Help

Our guild has been at hodir for a while now and...we can't get him down.
    We have several people pulling from 3k (too low i know) and peeps doin upto 8k ish...on average we figured it should be enough to pull him down on time...We get the occasional person who "accidently" gets flash frozen, etc. Everyone is rocking at 300ish FR+ and we r a range heavy, but melee strong group.

Our plan is Burn adds out...burn boss...FF...adds..boss..ff...etc etc.

Just wondering if like, we are missing something..or something is wrong, i dunno...any help would be cool..or any past experiences or tips..

Cheers

Re: Hodir Help

Few things that could be causing trouble
    1.) tank might not be def capped while wearing FR gear
    2.) not every1 is moving so that the debuff doesn't stack (the debuff works the same as on the dragon in the nexus).
    3.) ppl don't dodge all ice blocks that fall down
    4.) you aren't making good usage of the buffs that are available
    5.) Your group is undergeared. (wich shouldn't be the case iff ppl pull up to 8k)

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

The only person using Frost Resistance gear should be the tank.
    Also, you can mark the mage adds (/target Amira, /target Veesha) before the pull and free them first because they help freeing the other adds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tablemaker
    Yeah. It's funny how they reverse the whole thing. The fact of the matter is... if a customer created a scene in real life like they are in the forums, they would be removed from the store. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

Example: GC works at McDonalds. Some idiots walks up to the counter and asks for a Whopper. GC tells him they do not sell Whoppers. The idiot flips a nut. Calls GC off and throws straws at him. GC asks him to leave.

make sure that the static charge buff or w/e its called( no idea x.x) gets spread around
    should have 3 grps, melee, ranged and the healers make sure the healers run over to the range grp when they get the buff
    PlayStation suporter.
    fb_Scud / RPG-HAD

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrinus
    (the debuff works the same as on the dragon in the nexus)
    it doesn't. stoped reading here

Quote Originally Posted by Shuntenzatu
    I think you'll find it does, the debuff will stack if you remain stationary, move or jump and it wont stack. Just like Keristrasza in The Nexus.

15+ Year Old Account

Who cares where you stopped reading? :P

Yes, the debuff is not exactly the same as it does not instantly drop the whole stack when you move. So what, all points are still valid, you're just a nitpicking smartass.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigormortis
    I think you'll find it does, the debuff will stack if you remain stationary, move or jump and it wont stack. Just like Keristrasza in The Nexus.
    He's right,it doesn't work the same.
    On the Nexus dragon boss you can move and remove all the stacks in one go,but on hodir they get removed one by one.

So, if you have so much problems with it, than just change "the same" to "similar" in your mind, and there you go.

To the topic, you should really try to make use of all of the buffs, for example have at least one caste who is dedicated to keep the toasty-fire Buff up on the boss, make use of the columns of light, and spread the stormcloud good. It could also be useful if you specify what problems you encounter. Does he not die because your group is dead, does he go enrage? If you are a bit more specific, people may help you better.

My guild, start off by ranged freeing one mage and melee freeing the other mage giving the tank a bit of time to build some inital aggro.
    We then keep our melee team on the boss and let the range deal with the freeing the mages after a Flash freeze before returning to hodir.
    One tip we use is to have our hunters (or another on the ball ranged class) on the Mt list so after a flash freeze range can find and single target dps the mages easily and quickly
    yes i play with 24 men in bed... my desk is broken
    http://thisisryi.deviantart.com/gallery/26436565

We are using eather a druid (lots of HP) or DK for this boss (for many cd's). Most people dont use any frostress or maximum one item except tank who is using it but still needs to be defense capped. Melee should jump a lot for the debuff called Biting Cold (not a melee, just am hearing that on ventrillo) Also the tank jumps!. For the fight you can use to locations to tank, eather kite him around the room in a wide circle or jost ad one spot where we use in the back of the room to the right side.
    For casters (also healers) make sure you stand in the lightbeacons!!!
    For all persons there is an options so you can see where the rocks falling from above will land. Its called "Projected Textures" checked in the video settings and its a must have to get this on (for mimiron turn it off!!)
    The difference in dps I think is that some are standing in the lichtbeacons and some are not. You can also just assign melee or just ranged on freeing the icecubbed (always focus on players who are frozen).
    Last tip is let some1 announch Frozen Blows.

Edit what above poster mentioning is nice one but a macro could also help as mages are called: Amira Blazeweaver • Veesha Blazeweaver or Missy Flamecuffs • Sissy Flamecuffs (depending on your faction)

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrinus
    Few things that could be causing trouble
    1.) tank might not be def capped while wearing FR gear
    2.) not every1 is moving so that the debuff doesn't stack
    3.) ppl don't dodge all ice blocks that fall down
    4.) you aren't making good usage of the buffs that are available
    5.) Your group is undergeared. (wich shouldn't be the case iff ppl pull up to 8k)
    This all looks good. I'll add the following..
    • Assign healers to heal specific groups during Frozen Blows. Aswell as one person to just focus heal MT.
    • Have your raid lead call out for one damage mitigation buff per Frozen Blows. Example: so and so use Guardian Spirit on Main Tank. Next Frozen Blows calls out for a pally Sacrifice on MT.
    • The damage buff spreads to nearby people, like mentioned above, have groups for better uptime.
    • Always break out NPCs before dpsing boss.
    • As i'm sure you know, keep MT/boss next to the fires at all times for +magic damage buff on Hodir
    • Some guilds have an FR geared OT taunt Hodir during Frozen Blows, but with priests/pallies in your raid, should have enough cooldowns.

Only writing about the storm cloud buff here, since posters above me have explained other stuff. I do only 10mans atm tho, but should be the same in 25man. When it comes to that storm cloud its really important that the casters get it(after the tank got it once that is) . Have a hunter putting singed debuff up and shout on ts/vent about whos getting storm cloud(with dbm you get /yells too). Its the key to get the high dps numbers. I was only caster once(boomkin) and did 12.5k dps, I also got storm cloud for around 50% of the fight that lasted 3 minutes(used 3 healers) and if we havent prioritized caster(s) first we would never have done this.

Grouping up a bit is nice, tho first storm cloud should go to the tank first, so a tip is to spread out first, get storm cloud on a raid member then move to tank, then spread it out to other ppl, casters preferably ofc, but for the first storm cloud its not crucial if melee get it. After that just group up in small groups, healers stand with toasty fire, loot.

Deleted

Don't break out all the adds, just the mages. They'll do the rest.

Ok i'll admit it doesn't tottaly work the same, but i was to lazy to explain all the differences. I know it goes off 1 stack at a time and it takes longer to stack then in the nexus, but the isssue remains that you NEED TO MOVE.

Is he hitting enrage? Are you guys wiping in the middle of the fight? Tank dying too fast? Losing too many people during frozen blows?

You don't need to free ALL of the npcs. We usually have one group focus on mages and another on the shamans. The mages will periodically cast a spell on the other flash freezes to take them down.

It gimps your dps by having to wear frost resist gear, just make sure your healers are on top of their healing. We usually only use 4 healers on this fight, just make sure nobody gets hit by the falling icicles.

Assuming people aren't getting flash frozen, the next obvious culprit is people failing to move. With an experienced group, we have little trouble, but when we start adding new people to the mix (as we did in 10 man last night (5 attempts before success) hence me feeling the need to reply), I find that many of the dps are taking extra damage during frozen blows due to failing to constantly move. The only time we lose a raid member (with the exception of a bad flash freeze or someone missing drop from the ceiling) is when frozen blows damage is too high, which is almost always due to the stacking debuff. With a group that is slightly undergeared (or wearing frost resist), the loss of even one dps will likely lead to enrage.

First obvious advice. Make sure you're using dbm. Having the one with the "storm cloud" buff marked is imperatve. That dude shouldn't move. Dps should move to him. If he moves around, then dps starts to run after him like chickens with their heads cut off. Only possible reason for him to move is to get nearer to a fire if he's not already. Do this right and he'll be there already.

Taking advantage of buffs is the key to the fight. Have your raid download Powerauras, make their own buff marks for stormcloud and the light thing.

3k is way too low, and in truth 8k is too. For example, top mage dps reported via WWS (if I'm not mistaken) is around 20k. Granted that's some crazy RNG, but 14k isn't out of the question. Other classes should be able, at least for range should be in the 10k+ range.