Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: DW tanking, threat problems

Quote Originally Posted by Augrelle
    You fail sure.

Dualwield increases damage taken from parrys by about 3.5% over a two hand tank over a 4-5 minute fight. If you can get enough defence or stats to make up for that 3.5%, go dualwield if you want.

The chances for 4 parrys in a row is also very, very low with a mob that has the normal parry chance. The only reason parry gibs got started as being a big deal was only due to crushing blows. That and One of the bosses in sunwell.
    Slightly higher overall damage doesn't kill tanks, burst does.

Quote Originally Posted by darc
    unholy as the aoe tank tree i dont like hearing this i do much more aoe damage and threat upkeep with hb glyphed then someone keeping up ub and running pestilences can
    Frost can do more based on procs, but it's not as high consistently. Keep in mind that Unholy also does around 70% more damage with Death and Decay. If you hit for 400, you'll get 1520 threat, but they'll be hitting for 680 and getting 2584. My AOE trash/etc spec also has Wandering Plague which in a pack of 4 and 20% crit is adding: (plague damage * 2 * .6) + (frost fever damage * 2 * .6). I can understand loving Frost, but underestimating how much AOE threat Unholy puts out isn't very smart. Frost's main advantage for AOE tanking is the nice snap threat, which Unholy lacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Augrelle
    You fail sure.

Dualwield increases damage taken from parrys by about 3.5% over a two hand tank over a 4-5 minute fight. If you can get enough defence or stats to make up for that 3.5%, go dualwield if you want.

The chances for 4 parrys in a row is also very, very low with a mob that has the normal parry chance. The only reason parry gibs got started as being a big deal was only due to crushing blows. That and One of the bosses in sunwell.
    you missed he most obvious point of failure in his post...

4 parrys in the same second are the same as 1 parry.

There are no "Parry Gibs" it's just "Parry Haste".
    Boss Parries - next hit comes with 40% extra haste (at 1.44 or 1.4 speed, depending on attack speed slow instead of 2.4/2 speed)

Also, you want 2 slow weapons for tanking, meaning speed 2.5+ which gives you overall less parryable attacks as frost DK than a warrior with a slow weapon does. Comes the next patch, a frost DK will have the highest chance of parryhastening the boss (but only by a small margin compared to a warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Baabinator
    DW Threat tanking shorted down:

-Get two really fast tanking weapons.
    -Gather dodge/parry gear
    -Get scent of blood
    -Spam Runestrike 24/7
    -???
    -Profit
    Um.... no. I believe the current theory crafting strongly suggests using Slow/fast or slow/slow over fast/fast. Of course, this is to the extent that DW tanking is a good idea at all.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkduck
    Oh god, i sure hope I don't reincarnate into a bad DPS because of my bad karma. It would suck to have to cry every patch because I'm afraid to lose my raid spot.

and the only slow Tanking weapon is Broken Promise from Naxx25. Everything else is 1.7. The idea of DW tanking is a fun one, but for threat purposes I see 2H Tanking as far superior..you might put out more Rune Strikes but you'll never outdo a string of 2H Rune Strikes for threat lol.
    Steaküms 85 Warrior
    Éxpletive 85 Hunter
    Totums 85 Shaman
    Wholemilk 85 Paladin

"Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking"

Quote Originally Posted by shotsnonstop
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Mashpotatoes

hit is most of my issue but i cant seem to get any more of it without going under defense cap.
    threat gen can be decent with duel weilding ever if runestrikes are hitting alot less, in the time a 2H gets 1 RS im able to get 3.

my spec was temp. and i was just tesing a few things. as goes for switching strength gems i cant spare the defense gems.
    I think the bigger problem is the gems your using Str/Def = bad parry/def = bad either use Pure Defense and limit the amount of gem slots you have to waste or use Def/Stam. We already have issues with parry dr and you add to it with gems.
    Steaküms 85 Warrior
    Éxpletive 85 Hunter
    Totums 85 Shaman
    Wholemilk 85 Paladin

"Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking"

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetcheeks
    you missed he most obvious point of failure in his post...

4 parrys in the same second are the same as 1 parry.

There are no "Parry Gibs" it's just "Parry Haste".
    Boss Parries - next hit comes with 40% extra haste (at 1.44 or 1.4 speed, depending on attack speed slow instead of 2.4/2 speed)

Also, you want 2 slow weapons for tanking, meaning speed 2.5+ which gives you overall less parryable attacks as frost DK than a warrior with a slow weapon does. Comes the next patch, a frost DK will have the highest chance of parryhastening the boss (but only by a small margin compared to a warrior)

Problem is, there is a limit on the mobs on how much they can get hasted from parry. I don't remember the exact number but a bosses attacks can never go below 1.2 attack speed(or is it 1.0?). SO even if you had the wierd chance that 2 auto attacks and one strike(since strikes are now with both weapons) get parried, if they all get parried with in 1 second of each other, there is no "big parry burst gib" from the 4 hits in a row from the boss since he has sooo much haste then what a normal tank would have on a parry.

Quote Originally Posted by shotsnonstop
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Mashpotatoes

hit is most of my issue but i cant seem to get any more of it without going under defense cap.
    threat gen can be decent with duel weilding ever if runestrikes are hitting alot less, in the time a 2H gets 1 RS im able to get 3.

my spec was temp. and i was just tesing a few things. as goes for switching strength gems i cant spare the defense gems.
    I'll just list my throughts as I browse the armory.

-Your shoulder inscription is 18 stamina, but you are in desperate need of defense.

-Your metagem modifies a block value you can't use.

-Since you're having difficulty with getting defense to a level you feel is comfortable, you might consider changing your necklace, ring, or sigil.

-If you use the rune of the stoneskin gargoyle on a two-hander, you'll have given yourself about 123 defense rating. This would give you more gear and gem flexibility.

-Consider removing Rune Tap and taking Blood Gorged since you're using the physical-damage-heavy style.

-Consider the glyph of disease instead of the glyph of icy touch so that you can heart strike and death strike more often.

-Hit does not appear to be an issue for you at the time I viewed your armory. You are over the hit cap for melee special abilities. Your strikes should not ever miss. With the use of expertise food, they should not be dodged either.

Few things:

Dual wield is still better than Warriors when it comes to "parry-gib" issues, especially when you're frost, so don't listen to nay-sayers that base their opinion on that.

Drop Icy talons, you don't need it.

Threat is in the rotation. Find one that works.

Use a 2hander.

Quote Originally Posted by Bael
    -Consider the glyph of disease instead of the glyph of icy touch so that you can heart strike and death strike more often.
    It might be easier to maintain a rotation but the glyph of disease have been numerous time proved as a dps decrease and so a TPS decrease.