Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Hi, my name is Deyman and I'm an altoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyess
    I also made me a lock yesterday. Its level 10 by now and im having a blast. But i've got 1 question. Is the staff from emblems better then from stonekeeper shards? Since the one from emblems has crit and stonekeeper hit. And i'm probably going to level demo or aff and back when i leveled my lock pretbc i barely used shadowbolt so im not gonna get alot of crits.

Sorry for my bad english though. Its early
    Don't really need much hit when you are leveling. Nothing over the talent that provide hits anyways. 3/3 supression and you good to go. Leveling wise. (not including if you are grinding mobs 5 lvl over you, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    1) SLSL is no longer a viable spec because you have an extra 30 points to spend due to talent tree re-organization. PVP without Soul Link is not practical, and Siphon Life is only useful in a Haunt build.

2) Everyone is destruction because its easier to play. You have two modes: Running away and Nuking. By contrast, Demonology has three (Running, Nuking, Tanking) and Affliction has four (Running away, Nuking, Tanking, and Control). Since I'm going to get flamed if I don't explain....

All warlocks have all four modes. However, Destruction can reach higher ratings without thinking about 2 of them. Affliction cannot succeed without knowing how to do all four. Destruction has big crits and you can luck out, thereby making up for what would have been a huge mistake. Affliction has no luck, its all you all the time.

3) Affliction until 71 is viable now with all the spell power gear going around and the outland mob nerf. If you like Affliction, I suggested http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#IfxrbhMhoqAohk at 54. Continuing this spec, I'd suggest http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#IfxrbhMhoqARIkt0G at 70, respecing to the Felguard/Siphon Life build i posted prior. Basically, go straight for Haunt, backpedal into the other affliction talents, then get a few in Demonology for kicks
    Thanks for taking your time to give me some awnsers, Gherkin! Appriciate it.

I got a new question:
    How does the rotation look for a lock? I am currently starting out like this: Pet attack -> Immolate (while the pet is on his way to the mob) -> Corruption -> Curse of Agony -> wand or drain life

I'm not doing it right am I? xD Is there a better/faster way to kill the mob? :d

Could someone go into more depth about this Siphon Life/Felgaurd build for level 71? I'm leveling a lock too, and I'd like to know what makes it an amazing spec to go.
    Rule# 1: Do not turn a creature of lesser intelligence into a creature of higher intelligence - Cerebral brain function rarely translates in a polymorph... But sometimes it does. Voracious creatures such as serpents and wolves need not have their predatory instincts honed with a human mind. We feel obligated to quote Small Claims Disaster Case 12651-B, Labeled, "Bartholomew: The Bear who Bears Arms."
    -Polymorphic Rules and Regulations.

15+ Year Old Account

I just picked up my old level 60 lock and started leveling him again, not going to claim I know everything about Locks. Though this thread pretty much says what I did, Affliction from 10-55, then as I came to Outlands I went Demonology.
    Personally I don't like Demonology, but this is more due to, at the time, my only other character was a BM Hunter at level 70 so I soon got bored of the spec, and Warlocks in general.

However, after getting a Shaman to 70, then to 80 with WoTLK (I'm a bit of a altoholic in the making) I came back to my Lock, used the free respec to Destruction. I'm not going to pretend its a quick spec to level with, I do have a lot of downtime, and I have spent a lot of talent points in Destruction to ensure I have all the essential talents, and then some to make leveling slightly easier.

I'm currently leveling in Outlands, I have no trouble dealing with the Elites for Group quests, though this is usually down to the Daze affect that Aftermath gives me from Conflagate. I crit a fair bit and I'm seeing some nice numbers from Chaos Bolt.

Glyph of Conflagate makes this easier, though I've heard its going to be changed, though I've yet to see these changes for myself.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Deyman
    Thanks for taking your time to give me some awnsers, Gherkin! Appriciate it.

I got a new question:
    How does the rotation look for a lock? I am currently starting out like this: Pet attack -> Immolate (while the pet is on his way to the mob) -> Corruption -> Curse of Agony -> wand or drain life

I'm not doing it right am I? xD Is there a better/faster way to kill the mob? :d
    You're doing it right. However, from 1-30 you can leave the pet on defensive with no abilities active and just use the Sacrifice shield to keep yourself alive. The rotation goes exactly how you have it, but you do it to 3-4 mobs, and drain life spam the last ones when the shield wears off. They all die. Wand is useful until you get Drain Life at 14, but can be more powerful until 18 or so. After that you will never need it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadremenox
    Could someone go into more depth about this Siphon Life/Felgaurd build for level 71? I'm leveling a lock too, and I'd like to know what makes it an amazing spec to go.
    You have a pet that by itself does 600dps, can hold aggro if you don't go apeshit on the target, has high armor, cleave and intercept. He takes 15% less damage, takes 20% of your damage, grants you 5% more damage, ~200 spell power, and heals and regains mana just as much as you do due to talents. That's just the pet.

You have a hard hitting corruption that heals you, a powerful drain life (15% harder with three dots up), and all your spells are instant (cast while moving). Lastly, you and your pet rarely miss due to Suppression. That covers what you can do, and how it synergizes.

Basically, you hit Northrend at 68 and do a few quests to get gear, then go back to outland and level to 70.5. Head back to Northrend and go. You ding 71 and all of a sudden you do the following.

Pet on defensive, cleave and intercept on auto, anguish off. Cast Corruption, Agony, next target. Repeat until you have 3 guys beating on you, then pull one more and also cast Immolate on him. Drain Life. Lifetap once or twice, Repeat. If you have full life at any point while 3+ guys are hitting you, lifetap.

Why is it awesome? You will be doing 800dps on as many targets as you want at level 71, while never dying unless you go overboard with the life taps, and your pet always has full mana and hp. Then when you get to a group-3 quest, you spam Health Funnel for 3 minutes then rip the shit out of the dude with Shadow Bolt Spam and Execute drain soul. You are basically invincible.

Theres this place in the Borean tundra where you do tuskarr quests while gnomes and the blue dragonflight mine their graveyard. When I leveled my crap-lock on Beta, I could literally walk through this place casting two spells on every target and reach the other end at full everything, everything dead. I then run back through looting and questing and hand it in, repeat.

Limitations of the spec:
    1) Felguard can sometimes hold aggro when you don't want him to, causing him to fall behind and cleave to only hit one target. Pay attention to where he is.
    2) Felguard can solo casters. Let him, they hit ~really~ hard if they start shooting you.
    3) Once you have 4+ corruptions healing the bejesus out of you, your felguard will never pull aggro from you. Sometimes this can suck.
    4) Sometimes you can pull too much. Instead of trying for Howl of Terror or earlier drain life spam, switch to Demon Armor for more healing. Do it earlier, like if you drop below 50%. And refresh your corruptions instead of pulling more guys.
    5) DON'T FORGET TO USE SPELLSTONE.

R.I.P. YARG

Okay so I started a lock and he's currently lvl 23 with the void demonology spec posted at the start of this thread.

My question is: what to cast? I have 5 points in bane already.
    Before I could just send in the void, make him do 1 torment while I cast immolate, corruption and CoA and then move on to the next mob (only looting quest mobs and humanoids).
    However as I reached Tarren mill this stopped working for me
    Now I'm just spamming shadow bolt, however that leaves less mobility and if I crit I might over aggro my void

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop
    Okay so I started a lock and he's currently lvl 23 with the void demonology spec posted at the start of this thread.

My question is: what to cast? I have 5 points in bane already.
    Before I could just send in the void, make him do 1 torment while I cast immolate, corruption and CoA and then move on to the next mob (only looting quest mobs and humanoids).
    However as I reached Tarren mill this stopped working for me
    Now I'm just spamming shadow bolt, however that leaves less mobility and if I crit I might over aggro my void
    Use Sacrifice on your Void more, and use more dots. Letting the monsters beat on you is ok because you have drain soul, healthstones, and fear. Start with one mob, and go Immolate, Corruption, Agony, hit Sacrifice, then switch to a second and do the same. Drain life when you're done. If that went well for you, try three mobs at a time. Increase until you feel like you're living dangerously, then get used to that feeling.

Welcome to Warlockhood.

R.I.P. YARG

Thanks for the information Gherkin! Just one last question. Is there any downtime to the SL/FG spec while leveling?
    Rule# 1: Do not turn a creature of lesser intelligence into a creature of higher intelligence - Cerebral brain function rarely translates in a polymorph... But sometimes it does. Voracious creatures such as serpents and wolves need not have their predatory instincts honed with a human mind. We feel obligated to quote Small Claims Disaster Case 12651-B, Labeled, "Bartholomew: The Bear who Bears Arms."
    -Polymorphic Rules and Regulations.

Hi, Deyman.

From 1-29
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#IZ0GfhkZV
    (A friend of mine, in a few Deadmines gear, was able to solo stockades at 26 with this build)

@30, respect to
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#IcxbbhMho

ending up at @54
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#IfxrbhMhoqAohk

@55, respec to
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#IcbZ0GchkAdi0sxz

Getting to this @71
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#Ifxrbz0hoZ0GchkAdi0sxz

Then do whatever you want. Note that the level 30 build will take a massive change in playstyle from what you just did 1-30. Get used to it, and aim for about 100 spell power by lvl 35 and you will completely destroy everything.
    You should make a sticky for wowhead.com on this leveling guide, very informative.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPZip
    Remember, young Warrior: You are a seal.

ArP ArP ArP!

Use Sacrifice on your Void more, and use more dots. Letting the monsters beat on you is ok because you have drain soul, healthstones, and fear. Start with one mob, and go Immolate, Corruption, Agony, hit Sacrifice, then switch to a second and do the same. Drain life when you're done. If that went well for you, try three mobs at a time. Increase until you feel like you're living dangerously, then get used to that feeling.

Welcome to Warlockhood.
    Thanks
    I've been doing that for a while now, just getting harder now that most mobs are higher level than me XD Though I might just have to push through to lvl 24 where I get the next level corruption

gherkin FTW!! ^_^

Btw my lock is lvl 28

Can you tell me what stats is on the priority list?

Example: Spellpower -> Intellect -> Bla bla bla...

I find myself thinking what gear I should put on my lock when i get a new piece.

gherkin, you should get a medal or something for posting such good information! ;D

Ty.

gherkin FTW!! ^_^

Btw my lock is lvl 28

I find myself thinking what gear I should put on my lock when i get a new piece.

gherkin, you should get a medal or something for posting such good information! ;D

Ty.
    Spellpower is your most important Stat. I say, search for "shadow wrath" and buy everything 28-60 which isnt horrible expensive, there isnt that much of that stuff in the ah usually. If you dont find shadow wrath go for stamina+int (of the eagle) or pure stamina pieces.
    spellpower>stamina>int>rest

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape
    You know that quest in Icecrown where they make you attack a huge elite vrykul/nerubian/something else with the aid of an ebon blade knight? I soloed two of them before I realized what I had to do. OMG, it took so freaking long though.
    Haha, ditto. I only took 1 though, then some other player came and used the summoning of the DK and i was like this; "ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh........"

15+ Year Old Account

gherkin FTW!! ^_^

Btw my lock is lvl 28

Ty.
    This guy is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woony
    Spellpower is your most important Stat. I say, search for "shadow wrath" and buy everything 28-60 which isnt horrible expensive, there isnt that much of that stuff in the ah usually. If you dont find shadow wrath go for stamina+int (of the eagle) or pure stamina pieces.
    spellpower>stamina>int>rest
    One thing to add - are you a tailor? There's some AMAZING tailoring gear at around level 40. Dreamweave and the Shadowcloth sets.

Otherwise, stack spellpower. You won't use your pet to tank ~anything~ until level 60-61 (drillmaster, for example) so stamina is a moot point. Intellect = you have lifetap and spirit is not good until you hit lvl 65 for Fel Armor.

And since you're 28, the reminder: Use your god damn spellstone You don't know how many locks I see without it on.

R.I.P. YARG

You won't use your pet to tank ~anything~ until level 60-61
    So, use your succubus while you're affliction?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by MestHoop
    So, use your succubus while you're affliction?
    Void with all abilities turned off until 30, succubus/felhunter after that for more damage. I prefer felhunter (less damage) because you get a self-dispel to practice with, and an interrupt to force casters to follow closer.

The reason you turn the abilities off is that if your voidwalker suddenly gains aggro, he stops moving. The mob he is tanking stops moving. You are now on your merry way tab-casting dots on things with a pet 50+ yards away. You run the risk of him despawning, aggroing more adds (by way of returning to you OR standing there while a mob paths by), or potentially being out of range for Fel Embrace to heal him (sacrifice has unlimited range) and have him die when you need sacrifice the most.

There are no quests where "Kill this named guy" requires an actual pet tank until Outland. You can tank it yourself, while dotting his friends and family, and still come out the victor. Case and point, the quest in Felwood to kill the named Satyr. You can literally stroll into his camp, killing the 3 dozen satyr along the way without stopping, hit him and the other 8+ mobs around him, and walk out. As soon as you use your pet to tank him, you're wasting time.

The only quest I can think of where you actually have to kill an elite is the horde Giant Muisek quest in Feralas, and even then you can use the Giant Zapper item to simplify it. The rest of the elites are either not worth fighting (Devilsaurs in UnGoro) or can be killed without a pet anyways (Crystal Giants in south Winterspring for the Stone Shard quest)

R.I.P. YARG

Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation XD
    I've been following your talent guide so far, but am about to hit 30 so was wondering what pet to switch to for he respec

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Quadremenox
    Thanks for the information Gherkin! Just one last question. Is there any downtime to the SL/FG spec while leveling?
    only downtime while lvling as FG/SL is when you need to go to loo
    you just run with hordes of mobs chasing you killing them slowly if it wasn't for the looting you could do it to lvl 80 without single stop

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

New thread? This thread? New thread? This thread? ......

This thread (I guess). My main (80 Rogue) has hit a dead end, RL isn't permitting end game raiding so .... I dusted off my lvl 35 Warlock, he's been shelved for many months. So far is straight AFF build, my armory:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...light&n=Danide

After reading this thread I still have a zillion questions. There are a number of 'tips' suggesting running through mobs and 'nuking'. I'm assuming this is a matter of casting the various DoTs 'on the go' .... do you have to 'target' each mob as you run? Is the MO to 'tab target' or 'click target' or some other way? As you run, do you cast all 3 DoTs on each(?) ....

idk, this caster class is 'strange' to me, but I had a lot of fun last night. I was using my VW on defensive, (unfamiliar with abilities and lingo) then tab target, (keybinds) 1 (some auto attack macro - games down so can't go look what it is exactly), 2 Life Tap, 4 Corruption and 3 Shadow Bolt. When there were more than one mob i would use Rain Fire but am guessing from this thread that isn't the thing to do.

I know I have a lot to learn about the Warlock class because I wouldn't have gotten very far last night without the use of a bunch of bandages ..... which ..... I have seen no reference to in this thread, sounds like if I knew my class, then I could toss my bandages.

I probably need to reread this thread because there's Warlock specific abilities and terminology referred to that I don't understand yet.

Thanks for the good info I have managed to understand so far.
    If two people are exactly alike, one is not necessary.

Hi,im Illu and im an alcoholic. What? Wrong thread?