Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: how do you handle a well geared "smart" mage?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysmere
    NO UR DUM

he has a specific problem, if he wants a specific solution, then yes, this is what he should do

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42537
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42519
    AMAGAD RETARDIN DETECTED
    Items you have linked are no longer sold in game sir. Yuo F I A L.

Quote Originally Posted by Fala
    Items you have linked are no longer sold in game sir
    so itd seem /shrug.

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

Quote Originally Posted by Moses007
    I have no issue with a lot of mage but really smart ones are super tough. I am curious, much like the previous post regarding unholy dk's, of others' opinions.

My problem is resists and misses. I am a full 1% over pvp hit cap and i still manage to miss waaaay too much. I am destro and normally they blow mirror immages and i shadowfury his clan and HoT to send them all running and locate which one is him and begin focusing with a corruption>immolate>then shadowbolt to try and get him to lock me out of the wrong school. it works a lot but then i get back to CB, conflag, incinerate, shadowfury, incinerate, shadowburn. somewhere in there he will iceblock botching my rotation. then by the time he comes out of iceblock his mirror images and his water ele have done tons of dmg and he is nearly still at full health, if he iceblocked before CB hit. I usually pop death coil as soon as iceblock drops and follow with a fear to give me time to reapply dots and setup another CB combo but it seems that if he is using the proper armor he resists fears, shadowfurys and death coil. If you try to hit him with CoE he dispells immediately.

If the mage is good and is well geared, it is almost as lopsided as fighting a rogue. I don't arena, just bg, but i do bg a lot (1 bugged achievement away from Battlemaster and 80k+ honor kills on this toon.) I know the ebb and flow of our class and it seems ever since the nether protection nerf and the mage armor buffs, they can be a really difficult class to beat.

just wondering how some others go about handling a tough mage. No need to give advice on beating bad ones, this is pretty obvious to all of us.
    you dont often run into "smart" mages in bg's, however, a well played mage can kill you just as quickly as a destro lock given the proper casting time. I have an 80 mage and warlock and on both i usually dont have problems taking out the other simply because both have "standard" strategies and when you interupt them most will be confused and make mistakes.

It's a little hard to give general tips since in bg's your rarely alone and cooldown's aren't always up, but a frost mage will try to freeze you, deep freeze you, then shatter combo, without a shatter combo, its unlikely he would have been able to put out enough damage unless all those images and water ele were beating on you the entire time. basically, if the mage is played very well, you can't beat him quickly, you both have good outs and if the mage wants to, can reset the fight with sheep. the fight also varies greatly depending on your pet, fel hunter is great, and even seducing him to interupt casting is great. dont be afraid to fel dom out either or even a void walker to soak up around 8-9k damage. keeping distance would be advisable also, u dont want to be around him when his IB breaks. anything you can use to LOS him and his friends though is prob the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin
    Question: How do you handle an extremely good [Non Rogue] player?
    Answer: Be better than they are.
    Pretty much fighting a good mage in real gear your not going to win I hate looking back and thinking just how easy it was back in tbc then only to come back to the fact that mages can now out heal out damage out survive and completely control fights with locks if they aren't stupid.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cyno
    Pretty much fighting a good mage in real gear your not going to win I hate looking back and thinking just how easy it was back in tbc then only to come back to the fact that mages can now out heal out damage out survive and completely control fights with locks if they aren't stupid.
    But this is the way it should be. Any class should be able to outplay any class, and for the most part we're a lot closer now than we ever were. Rogues still fuck Warlocks, Warriors are still raped by mages, Shamans are still crushed by almost everyone. But we got of strange counters like Warrior > Rogue Warlock > Mage > Hunter. Paper Rock Scissors is dead and we're better for it.

And inb4 people who read my first two sentences then hit "Reply" in an angry rage.

R.I.P. YARG

I wasn't implying that if out played I was saying skill and gear are on par as compared to fighting a scrub. I know it isn't as good as compared to back in tbc but I run 2k and yet an equally geared and skilled mage can stomp me and only drop 2k hp.

Edit but yes I agree with you 100% any class should be able to out play another class with skill and gear but sadly that's not how it is using the classes you used its rogue/mage < lock < war < hunter > rogue > mage but we see it as mages being able to counter everything and the rogue only being countered by the mage but then we have lock and warrior who only counter one and all the while hunter counters nothing.

though I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone who's only 2k rating I don't really know about the people who are running full furious and 2.3k weapons.

15+ Year Old Account

I wasn't implying that if out played I was saying skill and gear are on par as compared to fighting a scrub. I know it isn't as good as compared to back in tbc but I run 2k and yet an equally geared and skilled mage can stomp me and only drop 2k hp.
    Don't take this as an insult towards you as a player, but wouldn't that make the mage better than you? Or at least know how to deal with Warlocks better than you know how to deal with Mages? Or perhaps their synergy with their partner is greater than that of you and your partner?

I always like finding the other angle to look at the problem. Rarely do they look the same from all sides. And again, I'm not saying you're bad, but maybe there's something you missed or something they didn't?

R.I.P. YARG

I wasn't talking about arena where there's more then one person I was saying that unlike how it was in tbc with lock countering mage now it's mage counters lock and with equal gear and skill there's no way around it.

15+ Year Old Account

I wasn't talking about arena where there's more then one person I was saying that unlike how it was in tbc with lock countering mage now it's mage counters lock and with equal gear and skill there's no way around it.
    Ah, then I would add to your scenario with "If there's no LOS, you're going to lose."
    Throw in a pillar (rock, non-see through tree (seriously blizz, wtf?), or wall) and you'll do a lot better, and probably win. A good mage will switch to Mage armor. You should switch to fel armor so your dots tick harder.

I'm going to stop posting in this thread, I feel like I'm not really contributing but rather turning it around into a "you're bad" thread when that is not my intent.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by Mysmere
    NO UR DUM

he has a specific problem, if he wants a specific solution, then yes, this is what he should do

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42537
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42519nice!
    Maybe he could go back in time 3 months to season 5 when you could still get deadly weapons.