Use of the Sacred Shield as prot

So I'm finally getting to the end of my pally's levelling (just hit 76) and I bought double spec, made my bars and such... And I was thinking about the Sacred shield use as prot.

"Each time the target takes damage they gain a Sacred Shield, absorbing 500 damage and increasing the paladin's chance to critically hit with Flash of Light by 50% for up to 6 sec. They cannot gain this effect more than once every 6 sec. Lasts 30 sec. This spell cannot be on more than one target at any one time."

So I absorb damage (with a traditionnal amount of spellpower, I expect it to be around 1 or 2k), and I get 50% chances of getting a crit FoL. As a tank, it's obviously not the FoL thing, but the absorb that is needed.

I'm seeing different cases :
    - tanking in a group where I'm the only paladin, I'll put it on myself
    - tanking while being healed by a Healadin, should I put in on myself or not : can I get 2 sacred shields, or will I screw the Holy's autocrit with my shield ?
    - offtanking or playing as a ret, should I again put it on the tank or will it screw the Holy's crit rate once again ?

Basically, when several sacred shields are available, who should put it on the tank ?

PS : I'm pretty sure the way they say "the paladin's chance to critically hit with Flash of Light" only my FoLs will have 50% crit chance, will a Healadin's ones get the bonus from my sacred shield ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I dont know why everyone expects thing to be rebuilt after a cataclysm. Last time i checked, earthquakes dont fix roofs.

Re: Use of the Sacred Shield as prot

You should always put Sacred Shield on yourself, regardless of any other Paladins in your group, as Sacred Shield absorbs will stack on the same target.

And no, the Holy Paladin will not get a FOL crit bonus from your own Sacred Shield, since it's the 6/12 second actual SS proc that yields that FOL crit bonus, and not the presence of the 30/60 second SS buff.

That being said, in 3.2, when Flash of Light will also place a HOT effect on the target, the FOL-HOT is based upon the presence of any Sacred Shield buff on target, no matter who it comes from.

yes you should have sac shield on you while tanking. even if you are DPSing you should be tossing it on the tank when you have extra GCD/mana.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Thank you both, it's extremely nice to get such accurate and quick answers
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I dont know why everyone expects thing to be rebuilt after a cataclysm. Last time i checked, earthquakes dont fix roofs.

/thread

before the idiots/misinformed/trolls start telling you the above info is wrong.

unless i am horribly horribly mistake, only one sacred shield may proc at a time. 1 per hit. so unless the boss has an incredibly fast swing, or theres a pulsing dmg aura, more than 2 sacred shields is a waste. if a hpal has tier 8 bonus, this will be more so.

I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Sinders

Quote Originally Posted by Mysmere
    unless i am horribly horribly mistake, only one sacred shield may proc at a time. 1 per hit. so unless the boss has an incredibly fast swing, or theres a pulsing dmg aura, more than 2 sacred shields is a waste. if a hpal has tier 8 bonus, this will be more so.
    It has been extensively tested and proven as of 3.1 that if a target has two (or more) Sacred Shield-buffs on him, two Sacred Shield-procs will occur when he is hit by an enemy, and that these absorbs will stack.

If you want to get technical about it: The first SS-proc will absorb damage normally. Once the target has taken enough damage to consume the SS-proc, the combat log will register the SS-proc as being refreshed, and then damage equal to the second SS-proc will begin to be absorbed.

What is unclear at this point is the decision-making for which of the two SS-procs will begin absorbing first.

so in theory 25 ret pallies could retroll through nax? 24 without righteous fury one with righteous fury and 25 sacred shield buffs?.
    nerfs tickle at best
    people who reroll or quit due to nerfs are sissys

Quote Originally Posted by kainron
    so in theory 25 ret pallies could retroll through nax? 24 without righteous fury one with righteous fury and 25 sacred shield buffs?.
    I should sig this... It's a good troll... I hope...
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].