Newb Rogue Leveling Question(s)

Okay so I'm still fairly new to rogues. My highest is a level 42 but I kind of want to start over with one on a random server, just because. My question is, exactly how viable is Sub spec for leveling? I'm aware that Combat/Swords provides the most dps and the least downtime, but for me personally, Sub completely outdoes Combat in regards to the "fun" factor.

Idk, I guess it's just me. I personally love sneaking around and getting the surprise attacks in on people/monsters and being able to go places I normally wouldn't be able to go without getting insta-gibbed, more than I love doing the most dps (yes I know that's probably stupid to say, but true...I just feel like that's what rogues are more about for me as a player, the whole notion of just sneaking around in plain sight and people not even knowing you're there).

TL;DR - How viable of a spec is Sub for leveling overall?

Deleted

Re: Newb Rogue Leveling Question(s)

Only a slightly lesser than the other two specs. The burst damage from your opening attacks make up for the lesser DPS on the rest of the fight. While leveling, so with a mob or two on you, that is.

The burst dps really is enough to even it out to that degree?

Quote Originally Posted by arrghh
    The burst dps really is enough to even it out to that degree?
    Depends on your gear, with really good gear it's probably evened out(spelling?).

Mainproblem with Subspec is that it's only Burst, so you might end up pretty screwed once you aggro more mobs then you wanted. (+ your chances to defeat Elite-Mobs are slimmer then they are for the other specs)

Anyways, you answered your question yourself already:
    Quote Originally Posted by arrghh
    [...] but for me personally, Sub completely outdoes Combat in regards to the "fun" factor. [...]
    Play the spec that's the most fun for you.

Deleted

One of the benefits from Subtelty (apart from high Burst damage) is additional crowd control.
    With Preperation and Shadow Dance alone, you have enough extra options to take on mobs.

Is subtelty viable for levelling? Yes.
    Is subtelty more fun than other specs? I think so.
    Will you want to have two BoA daggers equipped? Hell yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Somnio
    One of the benefits from Subtelty (apart from high Burst damage) is additional crowd control.
    With Preperation and Shadow Dance alone, you have enough extra options to take on mobs.

Is subtelty viable for levelling? Yes.
    Is subtelty more fun than other specs? I think so.
    Will you want to have two BoA daggers equipped? Hell yeah.
    Only problem with that is, my mains haven't really been worked on hardly at all. Which means, I have absolutely no access or way of getting any BoA items...so I'm kinda screwed on that end of it, lol.

Deleted

A tip from me is that you should always have two different main hand weapons. One dagger to use for ambush spam when you get shadow dance and one slow sword/mace for hemo

If you like Sub, play as Sub. Leveling isn't about max dps(for me atleast). Leveling is pain in ass, so do everything to ease it. If you got money try changing specs while you level and find one you like.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

I was pretty dumb leveling, Combat the whole bloody way, didn't build it too good either, I look over to sub and think...that would have been way more fun, so you have the right idea, plus shadowstep and prep are going to make general moving around much easier on you.

Don't even bother with mut, my friend tried that and tells me its pretty painful, its too technical to have fun with it.

So go with sub imo, then maybe try combat when you're 60 so you can spree the crap out of mobs
    Yes I'm a rogue, yes I wear tight leather, yes I like shiny things and pointy things with handles that go into other people, yes I stalk people and pounce at their weakest moment, But I ain't no ninja.

I leveled as Sub and loved it. Premed, Shadowstep, Ambush, Kidney Shot, Backstab and the mob is already below 50% and you haven't been hit yet. Early on Sub might be a bit rough, but once you get Shadowstep, HaT, and Shadow Dance it's a world of fun. Plus it's great for world PvP. No one know what to do when you pop Shadow Dance, so they usually just afk for a bit while they die Plus they're lowering the CD on Shadow Dance to 1 minute, so it'll be available on every third or fourth mob you fight.
    And sure, your son may find a women on warcraft. Just beware that she is probably whoring herself off to get mounted or partcipates in one of those secret guild orgies Pastor Jack warned us about.

I would place Sub as the worst leveling spec. Which is not to say it isn't viable, it still entirely possible to level as sub, and you'll level faster than many other classes.

In my opinion:

Assasination is the top leveling spec. You tend to be limited to one or maybe two mobs at a time, but you are the master of the stunlock, and can play so that you literally have no down time at all.

Combat a very close second, and the argument could be made that its just as good or better. You'll be able to kill 5-6 mobs at a time, every 2 minutes or so, but the time between those pulls you'll be limited to single target. You do take damage, so you'll been to stop and bandage/eat. Very very reminiscient of leveling my fury warrior.

Subtulty you can really destory targets 1v1, but occasionally take damage. You can play this spec so that you don't, but you constantly have to battle to be behind a mob, which grew annoying to me for a while.

For the record, its just my opinion. I brought my rogue as Sub from 1 to 57, then as combat from 57 to 71, then (assasination) mut/prep from 71 to 80. Mut/Prep was my favorite by far.

10+ Year Old Account

I've leveled a rogue once to 70, and am currently leveling one now to 80, and IMO I've always had a more positive experience leveling with a combat rogue. Being an orc, combining blade flurry, blood fury and adrenaline (evasion available as well) is amazing to nuke a huge group of mobs in seconds and is very satisfying to pull off. Combat has some good "oh shit" buttons to help you out in predicaments you may experience too.