Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Flametongue Weapon. Whats the deal?

I would like to know now:

FLAMETONGUE WEAPON:

-Does the spellcoefficient fluctuate with weapon speed.
    -If so, what coefficient at what speed
    -If not, what is it now?

That's all.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

Re: Flametongue Weapon. Whats the deal?

simplest way I can explain it is: No matter which speed weapon you use, The damage caused by FT will be the same over time. If you do 5000 damage from FT in one minute with a 2.6 speed weapon, you'll do 5000 damage from FT in one minute with a 1.4 speed weapon. You get the same amount of damage. What makes the slow weapons better is higher SS and LL damage from the slow weps.

Driving enha shamans further away from using fast spellcaster daggers.
    Shaman since Vanilla. All the way !

"Spell coefficient" means how much bonus spell power does FT add to your spells.

OP, unless I'm on glue, they didn't change the spell coefficient to scale with weapon speed. So the bonus spell power you get from FT is still +211 Spell Power base (+30% if 3/3 Elemental Weapons) or 274 SP talented.

You could check it buy buying a grey weapon and looking at your paper doll.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeysnarf
    "Spell coefficient" means how much bonus spell power does FT add to your spells.
    I'm pretty sure that that is the Spellpower bonus. Coefficient is how it scales with your own stats, just like an AP coefficient for melee skills.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieEater
    I'm pretty sure that that is the Spellpower bonus. Coefficient is how it scales with your own stats, just like an AP coefficient for melee skills.
    Again, I may be all hopped up on glue, but if he said "damage coefficient" I would think he wanted to know about the damage that FT causes. Since he said "spell coefficient" I think he wants to know about the spell power coefficient that FT adds.

Again, I may be all hopped up on glue, but if he said "damage coefficient" I would think he wanted to know about the damage that FT causes. Since he said "spell coefficient" I think he wants to know about the spell power coefficient that FT adds.
    And I'm pretty sure they are asking how much damage is going to be added to the FT damage based on your spell power, kinda like how a lighting bolt will hit harder with more spell power. Unless I'm all hopped up on glue I don't think they are asking how much spell power FT gives you like you were saying, that would be a really silly question to ask.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account

Spell coefficient is ALWAYS amount of spellpower added to given spell. Be it Light Bolt (0.71 afair), shocks (0.41 afair) or any other healing spell.

It's not 'amount of spellpower that flametongue adds' though, so im pretty sure he asked about how much damage on flametongue strike changes when using slow weapon in comparison to fast weapon.

He really should tell us which spec he is concerned about. If it is Enhance then the slower the weapon the more FT will hit for, if it is elemental it adds a static amount of SP regardless of weapon speed.

The only reason I bring up elemental is I remember that it was a topic when they 1st announced this change a lot of ELe shamans thought that they not only had to find weapons that had a lot of SP but ones that are also slow.

I may be way off base but it is early so cut me some slack.

Quote Originally Posted by heartlarva
    simplest way I can explain it is: No matter which speed weapon you use, The damage caused by FT will be the same over time. If you do 5000 damage from FT in one minute with a 2.6 speed weapon, you'll do 5000 damage from FT in one minute with a 1.4 speed weapon. You get the same amount of damage. What makes the slow weapons better is higher SS and LL damage from the slow weps.
    This

I just wish they would give it a healing debuff like they were going to in TBC. 20% debuff like the new imp mind blast for priests would even be sweet.

15+ Year Old Account

I meant what the spellpower coefficient was for the damage flametongue deals.

Not the amount of SP it gives.

Quote Originally Posted by heartlarva
    Yeah i know that Flametongue will deal the same amount of DPS (with plain white hits) with NO spellpower.

But before they *changed* flametongue the deal was that the amount of damage gained by FT with spellpower was the same, regardless of speed. Thus faster weapons where the way to go:

Simplified here:

(Though impossible to have 0 SP with flametongue.... just dont add it in this calculation lol :P because it has no additional value on the stuff i want to know)

1.00 weapon speed. 0 SP. 50 physical damage, 50 FT damage. = 100 dps
    2.00 weapon speed. 0 SP. 100 physical damage, 100 FT damage = 100 dps

You mysteriously gain a +500 SP buff! (it used to gain 10% of your SP)
    Now your damage table with those same weapons would look like this:

1.00 weapon speed. 500 SP. 50 physical damage, 100 FT damage. = 150 dps
    2.00 weapon speed. 500 SP. 100 physical damage, 150 FT damage = 125 dps

See what i mean ?

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

ok first off Baabinator---i have no idea wth your doing in those calculations but i would suggest ignoring them. 2nd the answer your looking for is NO, thats it

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderspike
    ok first off Baabinator---i have no idea wth your doing in those calculations but i would suggest ignoring them. 2nd to the OP, the answer your looking for is NO, thats it
    Baabinator WAS the OP and was trying to clarify a question that had been answered in the thread through using "fuzzy Math"

Deleted

Rather than posting guesses why can't people just check the EJ thread and get the answer?

Flametongue is normalised based on a 4.0 speed weapon. The values are

float damageFTBase = 274f * cs.UnhastedOHSpeed / 4.0f;
    float damageFTCoef = 0.03811f * cs.UnhastedOHSpeed;

ie: base FT damage is 274 * tooltip weaponspeed/4, and spellpower coefficient is 0.03811 * tooltip weaponspeed.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Levva
    Rather than posting guesses why can't people just check the EJ thread and get the answer?

Flametongue is normalised based on a 4.0 speed weapon. The values are

float damageFTBase = 274f * cs.UnhastedOHSpeed / 4.0f;
    float damageFTCoef = 0.03811f * cs.UnhastedOHSpeed;

ie: base FT damage is 274 * tooltip weaponspeed/4, and spellpower coefficient is 0.03811 * tooltip weaponspeed.

Thank. You. <3.

Couldn't find in on EJ tbh..