Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Does the Fire Tree need a Sheild?

Frost has Ice Barrier Arcane has Mana Sheild, why doesn't Fire have it's own form of Sheild? perhaps one that has a minor AoE damage to close people and reduce incoming damage instead of absorbing it. this could help fire with it's survivability issues.
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

Deleted

Re: Does the Fire Tree need a Sheild?

fiery payback could reduce damage taken by 20% (or 15% whatever) all the time, not only when below 35% health. this would also help firemages poor survival in pve. also make improved scorch increase scorch damage by 100% and i think fire would be good to go in arenas.

nah, I think the current survival talents are okay... if they weren't rng dependent on getting hit
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawramsti
    Mages are fine wtf are you talking about.
    Frost for PvP Arcane for LOLPVP and Fire for...... for.....for.......one sec will get back to you.

Fire has mana shield too..... It just uses more mana than Arcane. Rest assured Arcane can't afford to spam mana shield either.

10+ Year Old Account

They kinda do. Reliable survivabilites is a must-have for firemages at the moment. Blazing speed and Fiery Payback do rock is far too RNG dependant. Blazing Speed would be better if it procced from both spells and physical. And fiery payback could instead of disarming as it do for physical attacks reduce the healing taken by the target when struck by a spell. Still RNG-dependant as hell, but hey, at least something
    Vol'jin fanboy

Na, imo they should just give living bomb a snare.
    70 Warlock - The Scryers
    80 Hunter - Gorefiend
    80 Druid - Gorefiend
    80 Death knight - Gorefiend
    80 Shaman - Gorefiend
    80 Mage - Gorefiend

Question-Does the fire Tree need a Shield?
    Answer-I don't think so,mages are fine the way they are.
    !!FUCKING LEAVE THEM ALONE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqera
    I feel the same way as you and at the same time I get a sense of relief every time I read the patch notes and find out that no mayor changes were done to the class. Even in the Mage Q&A interview the Dev said that he felt that mages were pretty much complete and balanced, and I agree.

However, id like to contribute to the thread and suggest a shield that would would work this way:

I apologize if it has been suggested before.

Living Bomb: Does the same thing; except that while living bomb is active on a target a shield surrounds the mage absorbing dmg equal to the dmg done by the Living bomb. If all the dmg is absorbed then the shields explodes knocking back targets, if the dmg is not absorbed the living bomb goes of on its current target.

I think this would work very nicely for pvp and pve! Let me set up some scenarios:

PvE: You set living bomb on your target-start your rotation-you are not getting hit-the dmg continues to tick on the target-living bomb explodes-no loss of dps.

Pve2: You set living bomb on your target-start your rotation-you are getting hit-you absorb some damage- you survive to continue dpsing-living bomb explodes-some loss of dps.

Pve2: You set living bomb on your target-start your rotation-you are getting hit-you absorb ALL damage- you survive to continue dpsing-living does explodes around you doing some dmg-some loss of dps-you survive.

PvP: You set living bomb on your target-do your stuff-you are getting hit-you absorb some damage- you survive-shield explodes-knocks back your target and you survive.

A cooldown or some other measure would have to be implemented in order not be permanently shielded by fire. i.e weakend soul.

What do you think?

while most aspects of the mage are fine, fire pvp survivability is most definitely not. wanting to have no nerfs does not help the problems that we do have. lose the fear man.

i guess i would question why everyone must have every tree be viable in pvp and pve - we already have 3 viable pve specs and 2 viable pvp specs - fire isnt really meant to be a pvp spec - it doesnt have the burst or the survivability, and to add either would make it redic in pve

so really if your bored with something then switch to a different spec for a while and see how it works for you, but there isnt a easy fix for fire without making it superior in pve

They'll just do the same TBC Band Aid "Let's fix PVP for other specs" fix once again, and make Ice Barrier trainable this time, instead of Ice Block like the previous time.

That'll fix all of the "Fire and Arcane too squishy" issues, and Frost will probably get a new spell, hopefully, one that will have good use on PvE and NO USE on PvP this time.
    "So, he sent a succubus to seduce you, and lure you down to his side. And yet, first thing you do is to check her ass? Ah, kid, you've got much to learn.."

in the same vein....why not? i don't understand this self flagellation that mages have: "it ain't too broke, don't nerf it". it's alright to want improvements, and it's alright to discuss them...

I'd rather see a cooldown decrease on Blast Wave/Dragon's Breath

Lava Sphere: Engulfs the target in a sphere of lava.
    Reduces the durability of the targets gear by 100% and slows him by 99% for 10 seconds due to the melted gear he's walking on.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

10+ Year Old Account

The fire tree is designed for maximum dps if you were to give it shields and more cc it would need reduced damage or it would become to powerful, if u want a balanced pvp tree go frost or learn to blow ppl up fast then use instants while kiting
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Overall, mages are fine. Fire PvP, is laughably not so.

However, I don't think the solution is to give fire another shield, or to make MShield viable for the fire tree, either. Fire *should* be fragile, unable to mitigate/absorb damage, it's kinda iconic of the tree by this point. They should avoid damage through CD's instead of bubbles imho. (Yes, I know, Fiery Payback is direct damage mitigation - but it still fits the theme of the ultimate glass cannon, being as it only applies when on death's door and lets you squeeze off a departing Pyroblast)

The suggestions to fix Fire PvP that I think would work, the ones that I've seen suggested countless of times over and over and over again on Blizz forums, are pretty damned simple.
    1)Take Blazing Speed & Firey Payback's disarm component, off of RNG and make them activated abilities with a CD.
    2)Burning Determination is laughable. Make it a "Silence Ward."
    3)Make it so an interrupted Frostfire Bolt only locks out the Fire tree, not both Fire and Frost.

Instead of RNG-defenses on the squishiest spec in the game (arguabley?), which needless to say is a bad design, they would instead have a Sprint and a ranged disarm on a CD, Burning Determination would actually do it's job, and they'd have access to a snare.

/fixed.

Only thing I'm unsure of is #3. If #1 & #2 are implemented, then #3 might make them OP against melee (I know, I know, god forbid a non-Frost caster rape meleeface, eh?). Another possibility is to make an interrupted FFB lock out *frost* rather then fire, now you can still interrupt a snare and temporarily prevent further FrBolts/CoC’s without leaving Firemages with a nuke that, if interrupted, is a death sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by taureninator
    i guess i would question why everyone must have every tree be viable in pvp and pve - we already have 3 viable pve specs and 2 viable pvp specs - fire isnt really meant to be a pvp spec - it doesnt have the burst or the survivability, and to add either would make it redic in pve

so really if your bored with something then switch to a different spec for a while and see how it works for you, but there isnt a easy fix for fire without making it superior in pve
    ...Because, Deathknights? Because, it's a fcuk-ton more interesting? And, because Blizz has stated in the past their intention to do so? Some specs get backseat while they try to address classes that don't have a single viable PvP spec, sure, but the end goal is to eliminate the age of "This is the PvP tree, and this is the PvE tree."

Plus, some of us are freakin' bored out of our minds pvping as frost exclusively. IDK about the rest of you, but lolarcane didn't really stir the pot as much as I had hoped. Sure, it's viable in certain comps. But it's a one-trick pony that falls far short of all the intricacies of frost and bored me to tears less then a month after 3.0. lolRNGresist, exactly what I always wanted, yay. So frustrating to everyone.

(Btw, Frost is a valid PvE spec? I was under the impression it wasn't?)

Quote Originally Posted by zcks
    The fire tree is designed for maximum dps if you were to give it shields and more cc [b]it would need reduced damage or it would become to powerful, if u want a balanced pvp tree[b] go frost or learn to blow ppl up fast then use instants while kiting
    Well, if you're actually trying to construct a proper PvP spec in the fire tree, you're (probably - some will spec different) missing out on World in Flames, Playing with Fire, and Fire Power. If you gave them some actual tools to address survivability, like the ones I suggested, and they're critting everything for unacceptable numbers, then simply bloat the tree a couple more points to force PvP'ers to skip out on all the maximum-DPS talents for the PvP ones. /fixed

If it's still too big, fine, lower the base damage on fire spells and buff up the PvE DPS-talents to the point where raiders are still maintaining their DPS, but PvP'ers aren't doing broken amounts of damage. Whatever, point is, that problem is easy to get around.

EDIT: spelling

IMO dragon's breath and blast wave are too fun spells to be left largely out of the pvp game.

stoping a pally with HoF midrun with a DB is one of the few reasons I play around with fire PvP :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Nawramsti
    Mages are fine wtf are you talking about.
    Frost for PvP Arcane for LOLPVP and Fire for...... for.....for.......one sec will get back to you.

Not every spec should be perfect at every aspect of the game.

Frost is great PVP, laughable PVE.
    Fire is laughable PVP, great PVE.
    Arcane is somewhere in the middle depending on skill/raid comp.

Fire doesn't need a shield. Stop PVPing as fire. It won't be fixed.