Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Some advices as a Healadin

So now that my prot gear is in a nice shape, I'm starting to build my healing gear. I have some experience as a healer (druid, priest), but paladin offers a new way of thinking for me. I have some questions about gearing and healing as a paladin.

Gear :
    Well I have an almost full set (except a weapon) which is an awful mix of heroic blues, crafted mail and plate, ulduar and naxx stuff. My stats are crappy but I've not yet gemmed nor enchanted the stuff. What I'd like to know is, as of 3.1, what should I focus on when chosing a bit of stuff ? The obvious paladin healing stats are :
    - Intellect
    - Mana regen
    - Crit
    - Haste
    - Spellpower
    But I don't know how to sort them.
    - Are there magic numbers regarding haste, mana regen, crit, spellpower ("caps") ?
    - Is gemming full intellect the way to go, even at a low level of stuff ?

Healing :
    - Holy Light seems to be the way to go here, with Holy Shock when off CD. During TBC, Paladins were FoL spammers, now they spam HL it seems. Is it like in TBC where you hit a spell as soon as the previous one is gone, or have overhealing and mana regen become a bit more of thing to worry about ?
    - Divine plea : Do you use it on CD, or only when you know the situation is stable (= the MT won't get gibbed) ?
    - Divine plea 2 : Do you heal while under the effects of Divine plea ?
    - For heroics (I like them ), do you still use HL + HS ? Or do you tend to use FoL more ?
    - Finally, has the Flash of Light it's place in some situations as of 3.1 in a raid environment, or should I just NOT use it ?

I think it's all that I can think about for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I dont know why everyone expects thing to be rebuilt after a cataclysm. Last time i checked, earthquakes dont fix roofs.

Re: Some advices as a Healadin

hmm,

rock
    you

But I'll answer as best I can. In 3.2, mana regen is going to be a huge issue, but FoL spam will still not be viable, because it's wholly insufficient at keeping tanks alive on most ulduar (let alone hard mode) fights, and paladins are tank healers.

The Sacred Shield buff both encourages FoL spamming the tank due to the extra 50% crit, and discourages FoL spamming due to the HoT. Beacon of Light discourages using the 50% crit on FoL spamming, because SS should be on your tank, not some random raid member, and Beacon encourages mindlessly overhealing whoever in the raid other than the tank may also take damage, assuming no one is hurt.

Raid damage is usually healed up before paladin heals can snipe them, and tank damage is too spikey for stopcasting, unless you're not the only tank healer, but you are the only one stopcasting. Oh. Are you familiar with the term stopcasting?

There are three general ways to manage spammy healing spells:

Spam them, constantly, regardless of whether your target has already taken damage, assuming that they will before your cast bar is finished. This is what paladins are used to.

Spam them, constantly, but hit your esc button at the last possible moment, if the tank is still at full health. This is generally referred to as stopcasting, because with a proper macro, you can merely press your heal button again, early, to cancel the cast you were on and start a new one. This is what priests did all through vanilla and BC. It may become popular with paladins in 3.2, but this has yet to be seen.

Wait for damage to occur, watch people die before your heals go off. This is called reactive healing. It's safe in 5 mans, and sometimes in 10 mans. Don't do it in 25 mans as a paladin assigned to tank healing.

The 3.1 stat rankings are Int >>>> Spellpower > Haste > Crit >>>>>>>>>>>>>MP5.

The 3.2 stat rankings are Int > Spellpower > Haste > MP5 >>> Crit.

Divine Plea can be safely used in most situations in 5 and 10 mans, assuming you pair it with continued HL spam. I usually try to use it in combat as a last resort, preferring to use it between trash pulls, between boss phases, during forced movement, or any time I wouldn't be healing anyway. I heal through it only if no other healers are able to cover for me while it's on, because it's a 50% less efficient expenditure of my mana (the tank's life is more important than efficiency). In 3.1, Illumination grants significantly more mana over the course of raids than plea does. As does Seal of Wisdom (which is actually probably more of an overpowered mechanic than Illumination ever was). In 3.2, it will even out some, if we drop our crit rate and regear for mp5 like they want us to.

Personally I've never been a HL spammer... but that's probably what you're going to do unless you stack the hell out of spellpower like I have (2300 unbuffed, +267sp on FoL arena libram) which means for HL you'll need to stack the hell out of int and MP5.

I'm 100% certain Blizzard wants paladins to use FoL more than HL in 3.2, so I think it'd be something worth getting used to. You'll obviously be putting beacon and SS on the tank, casting shock/FoL on the raid/OT and popping a HL on the melee group to give the tank MASSIVE heals from the holy light glyph when needed. This last mechanic is why Blizzard is working to make it impossible to HL spam in 3.2, because otherwise you'd be healing the tank for up to 40% more with HL spam due to the beacon change + HL glyph.
    Dear Blizzard,
    Please nerf paper, scissors are ok.
    Sincerely,
    rock

I think blizzard is making paladins more effective, making spells come random - not that HL spam, FoL spam. You put a HL if tank goes low, hold FoL if not. Beacon and SS you can put on OT if you are on MT duty

No, please don't be reactive. Pallys are proactive healers.

I dont think anyone seriously considers being reactive as a holy paladin

But I seriously doubt Bliz will let us be proactive with HL post 3.2... Stacking spellpower rather than int, and using primarily FoL to keep the tank up is what we're going to need to do, and if that's not what we do in 3.2, Bliz will continue nerfing us until we do it their way.

I really just wish Bliz would make it more viable to cast HL when needed, because the long cast time makes it very difficult to use in emergencies without spamming it to keep Light's Grace up.
    Dear Blizzard,
    Please nerf paper, scissors are ok.
    Sincerely,
    rock

Quote Originally Posted by Accuser
    I dont think anyone seriously considers being reactive as a holy paladin

But I seriously doubt Bliz will let us be proactive with HL post 3.2... Stacking spellpower rather than int, and using primarily FoL to keep the tank up is what we're going to need to do, and if that's not what we do in 3.2, Bliz will continue nerfing us until we do it their way.

I really just wish Bliz would make it more viable to cast HL when needed, because the long cast time makes it very difficult to use in emergencies without spamming it to keep Light's Grace up.
    Divine Illumination is perfect for being proactive with Holy Light.

Granted it's once every 3 minutes, but it's not like we don't have other tools to mitigate damage on demand.

IF you use Divine Plea while in combat pop your wings and a pot. The only bad thing is you can't use Divine Shield right after if you use it at the wrong time. This isn't to the OP but to the poster: L2Pally /facepalm It's fully intended to heal when DP is used. Just be smart when you do. Besides your seals, all three pally specs can and should use all abilities: name it and yup!

i my self was a holy pally i had 2700 so buffed pre ulduar i could keep any one up with 2 FoL a HL and then a HS its all about rotaion and how you choose to gem and enchant i my self valued sp over anything and still had a 23k mana pool to drain but the choice is yours

Quote Originally Posted by Accuser
    Personally I've never been a HL spammer... but that's probably what you're going to do unless you stack the hell out of spellpower like I have (2300 unbuffed, +267sp on FoL arena libram) which means for HL you'll need to stack the hell out of int and MP5.
    I have 2140 and I stack int , you're not exactly stacking sp alot. And mp5 for HL? Oh man how wrong some people are

Still waiting for a video of a FoL spammer healing algalon , I've yet to see one!

As i only have a holy set so i can say i have one, i use ep/pawn values to determine my holy set, Elitist jerks have all the numbers in the pally section. EP is points each stat is worth, so say a=2, b=3, c=6, if a piece has 20c and 30a (180) and another has 15c and 33b (189) the 2nd piece is better. For holy its not perfect as curtain fight require high mana regen, others need bigger heals for less time etc, but its good to quickly see how good a piece is. I also use it for ret, as dps is dps. You can't use it for prot though, as its far to fight specific to use one set of numbers, and its my main spec so I spend more time working on it.

If you need to use divine plea, make a macro that cancels divine plea then casts the spell, i can't remember it but there is a way of doing it /cancel divine plea /cast holy light something like that. From what i've seen its not worth healing with it on.

In my opinion flash of light is only for topping off people, not for healing a tank or anything like that. I healed a few heroics when i got my holy set together and didn't use fol that much at all, if i got a holy shock crit i would use it (instant) but other than that just holy light.

And once you get higher, like ulduar i don't think there is any place for fol as you will most likely be mt healer, and when hits can often be around 25k fol does nothing, maybe can spam fol on trash.

man, i don't know what to say. U guys can't keep tanks alive with flash?

u want to cast HL just enough to keep the lower casting time up. that way when a tank gets spike damage, u can cast a fast HL.

U can 100% keep tanks alive in 25 ulduar with using almost no HL.

SS with 4 set bonus, flash spam 1 second flash, HL to keep up cast lowered time, and shock/HL or shock/instaflash will keep him alive in most fights. Besides, if it's a fight where Flash won't keep him alive, u have more then 1 healer on the tank. When we were first in ulduar many fights we had to HL spam like nax to get through the boss. But with the tanks getting gear, and dps getting gear to get through the fight faster, Flat our HL spam is not needed.

And i rarely ever use divine plea in a fight, and when i do it's with AW macro. I have taken our a bit of my it for haste which makes more sense. Instead of casting 100% HL and having to plea, pot, and risk going oom at end of fight, get more haste. Use FL to keep tank topped off, when he's topped off, HL a raid member that needs healing, back to FL on tank. Keep ss and beacon 100% on tank so when u splash HL, u get him too. That way u have a 1.5 second 20k heal always on backup if tank gets spike damage.

and we are doing Yogg -1 keeper this sunday, so maybe next week i will try and show u a tank on al kept up without HL spam.

I do Uld25 with 0 HL spam. Spamming FoL is the way to go here, and with a Cast FoL, DF-HS, Insta-FoL covers any spike dmg a tank could take. There is off course times where I do spam but it's more of a desperate situation.

If you're able to spam FoL, either:
    a. You take too many healers
    b. You use too many healers on the tank(s)
    c. You're not doing hard modes
    d. Some combination of a, b, or c
    e. You outgear the content

f. You're doing 10mans instead of 25

g. You're being carried by others

i hope the beef up flash of light or mana regen so we can keep spam hl

FoL + Holy Shock heals for about what a HL does no? Please don't be ignorant and say in this dungeon or this raid, I assume you have the gear to be where you are. Once again Avenging Wrath and Divine Plea together = -20% decrease in healing. CAN YOU SAY OVERHEALS?!

---------If you need to use divine plea, make a macro that cancels divine plea then casts the spell, i can't remember it but there is a way of doing it /cancel divine plea /cast holy light something like that. From what i've seen its not worth healing with it on.

In my opinion flash of light is only for topping off people, not for healing a tank or anything like that. I healed a few heroics when i got my holy set together and didn't use fol that much at all, if i got a holy shock crit i would use it (instant) but other than that just holy light.

And once you get higher, like ulduar i don't think there is any place for fol as you will most likely be mt healer, and when hits can often be around 25k fol does nothing, maybe can spam fol on trash.-----------

Dude please don't heal! General fight will have you oom in a second! Like I said in an earlier post: Potion of wild magic +Avenging Wrath+Divine Plea=basically a mana pot(it will be more than a pot but you can see the 50% healing penalty is negated), but wait did EJ not have this anywhere in their thread? Didn't EJ say 0+ Yogg was impossible? EJ is good but not something you should follow to a T. FoL+HS+SS(currently, hell throw a divine favor with it) is rather OP with an instant FoL to follow. Know how to chain heals with abilities is the best way to learn.

J.) They already said they are tired of the pallys whom just Spam HL now.. so they wont be letting us keep the HL spam here soon in 3.2

IMO... For 3.1 i would stack int, crit-sp (maybe even more crit for more mana regen) or at least (on an even keel), haste,----Mp5 (is it needed right now?)...

Keep SoW up and judge it and just Melee bosses for ur Mp5 if its that big of a prob...

HL spammers are going to be awakened rudely here in 3.2.... Not to say that HL isn't needed--you have to keep one up every 15 seconds for the quick HL cast.. but you can easily keep a Tank up 40% of the time with FoL... at least healin the same way i did in sunwell is working for us... With the haste you get from good gear/crit you should have from spec/good gear/raid... your holy crit should be right at 40%.. so with your SS 50% chance to crit on tank.. its constant 6k FoL every second... works out very well for us.. but if your not geard for it.. suppose you can HL spam while 3.1 is still around.. up to you but imo might wanna get used to healin without the HL spam (shouldn't be happenin too much longer {i.e. 3.2}).

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamens
    ... but you can easily keep a Tank up 40% of the time with FoL...
    But my guild and I like to strive for 100% success. That's why I use HL more often than not.