A shield block that scales.

Let the damage a shield block reduces be based on % damage reduced by the characters armor. If you have enough armor to reduce damage by 60% then your sheild when it blocks will block that same % before or after the standard damage reduction through armor.

On damage done by the shield like from a shield slam mechanic just give the shield a weapon based damage thus it would scale with strength and attack power and be easier to scale with both pvp and pve.

Re: A shield block that scales.

That doesn't sound overpowered at all.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Outland&n=enbee
    -> I might be logged out in protpvpgear

its not over powered when you consider the armor value of DK's and Druids ,

also when you speak of scaling, do it in a similar method that bliz used for armor pen, where it scales depending on the hit, .

example,
    base block value is what is listed on shield + what your str adds to it,, 1000 for my purposes.
    block value would be a multiplier, so 1000 BV = to lets say 10%

so on a 2k block, 1000 + the BV scaling, 10% of 2k is 200,
    block for 1200 in that situation,

now on a 10k hit, 1000 + the BV so 10 % of 10k is 1000,
    block on a 10k hit would be 2k,

better than strait value were on a light hitting trash mob i take no damage, but on a 20k hit from a boss
    the mitigation is laughable

p.s. sorry if it is a mess,

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by gryffin

also when you speak of scaling, do it in a similar method that bliz used for armor pen, where it scales depending on the hit, .

example,
    base block value is what is listed on shield + what your str adds to it,, 1000 for my purposes.
    block value would be a multiplier, so 1000 BV = to lets say 10%

so on a 2k block, 1000 + the BV scaling, 10% of 2k is 200,
    block for 1200 in that situation,

now on a 10k hit, 1000 + the BV so 10 % of 10k is 1000,
    block on a 10k hit would be 2k,

better than strait value were on a light hitting trash mob i take no damage, but on a 20k hit from a boss
    the mitigation is laughable

p.s. sorry if it is a mess,
    You don't realize what the OP said. He suggested that if you had 60% armor reduction you should get a 60% shield block. Completely clueless on how OP that thing would be.

Anyway. I don't know about you, but I stack avoidance on gear and yet my BV is roughly 2.2k raidbuffed. Which means over 10% mitigation on a 20k boss hit. If that sounds "laughable" to you, I dunno what more you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffin
    my Co-tank of <asylum> (before we went lolcasual), was a DK, with items such as FL25 ring, and Kolo25 legs (bonus armor items), he was still only about 3k more armor then myself, the difference is not that large

Quote Originally Posted by conaan
    my Co-tank of <asylum> (before we went lolcasual), was a DK, with items such as FL25 ring, and Kolo25 legs (bonus armor items), he was still only about 3k more armor then myself, the difference is not that large
    nope it isnt anymore, it was nerfed a bit ago (for both druids and DK) now it isnt a great deal higher for either class above the other tanks.

Above change would be OP.

15+ Year Old Account

It is in a way double dipping. It would be like saying make Dodge rating increase your Defense rating by X.

Bring down the scaling, maybe make it so for every 10% Physical damage reduction you have, you gain 1% extra Block value.... so at 60% Physical reduc, you'll have 6% extra amount blocked by your shield.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    It is in a way double dipping. It would be like saying make Dodge rating increase your Defense rating by X.

Bring down the scaling, maybe make it so for every 10% Physical damage reduction you have, you gain 1% extra Block value.... so at 60% Physical reduc, you'll have 6% extra amount blocked by your shield.
    Or just make it scale more on strength. Like 75% or even 1-1. Strong blocks require a downtime tho, Blizzard clearly stated thatìs the tradeoff. Personally, I like a constant block more than a doubled one with RNG involved, but that's just me :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.