Deleted

bosses and weird positioning...

i once got invited for a KT25 3/4 guild run from another guild, a swedish one. we downed him, but i thought the positioning was rather odd...

they tanked KT near his throne, and they asked me and the other OT to tank the adds near the door we came in on. this seems like an odd setup for me, because the adds don't always appear in equal groups (sometimes 1-3 or 3-1, but only one tank on each side). if you tank the adds near the throne, you have to move less for them. also, if you tank him in the center, you have more room for the ranged.

have you ever been in a pug where the leader said you needed to position the boss in a way other than the generally accepted one?

Re: bosses and weird positioning...

maby it works better for them. generally im not to conserned about how someone is positioning a boss as long as we manage to get him down

Who cares as long as you get it done...

It is just Naxxramas anyways...

What really surprising about that placement ?
    As long as the tanks don't path throught the ranged dps and healers when they move the adds I don't really see any serious problems.
    Theres more then 1 way to kill each bosses you know.

Newsflash: There are some people who don't read tactics from <insert your favorite boss tactic page> and instead of that they make their own tactics.
    "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    i once got invited for a KT25 3/4 guild run from another guild, a swedish one. we downed him, but i thought the positioning was rather odd...

they tanked KT near his throne, and they asked me and the other OT to tank the adds near the door we came in on. this seems like an odd setup for me, because the adds don't always appear in equal groups (sometimes 1-3 or 3-1, but only one tank on each side). if you tank the adds near the throne, you have to move less for them. also, if you tank him in the center, you have more room for the ranged.

have you ever been in a pug where the leader said you needed to position the boss in a way other than the generally accepted one?
    From day one we tanked him near the throne and we never had problems with adds. We didnt like the center KT position, it's easier to be in range of everybody if he's at the throne

in my guild's situation we allways started from the center then somehow allways ended being on the throne but we allways downed him so... does it matter

You know sometimes the not-FOTM positioning is better. Prince Malchezar is the main example I'm thinking of. A lot of strats involved tanking him near the door since the likelihood of dropping on the door was "low" and then positioning the safe zone along one of the walls (which basically made success very RNG dependent). I personally thought it was a terribad strat but people seem to keep doing it. Then when I led a raid one time I used a different strat where we moved him around logically based on where the infernals dropped and one shot him.

Originally my guild used to tank it in the middle of the circle and frankly while I liked it at the time ive since started doing it by the throne and I find it actually easier. The reason being that the number 1 reason for deaths on the fight is not being in range of enough healers. Keeping the middle of the room free for healers allow maximum coverage of the raid and thus cutting down of possible deaths to iceblocks (the major threat in the fight).

It sure is different and doesnt feel right the first few times but it does work out better in the end.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

10+ Year Old Account

Alway's used the OP's tactic and works fine tbh. You have hunters for that if an odd would pop up elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMediator
    You know sometimes the not-FOTM positioning is better. Prince Malchezar is the main example I'm thinking of. A lot of strats involved tanking him near the door since the likelihood of dropping on the door was "low" and then positioning the safe zone along one of the walls (which basically made success very RNG dependent). I personally thought it was a terribad strat but people seem to keep doing it. Then when I led a raid one time I used a different strat where we moved him around logically based on where the infernals dropped and one shot him.
    The Prince tactic originated from the door not closing in the first month or so, so the whole raid could stand in the corridor and nuke/heal until he went down. An infernal could drop on the tank, but you'd just heal through it. When they fixed the door, the tactics guides were still around showing this, so many guilds assumed that was how it was done, even though the tactic failed. But yeh, Prince became a bit of a luck-fest anyway, where you could get 3 bad infernals in the middle of the room and then wipe. Yeh he'd always go down after 2 or 3 attempts, but it wasn't as easy as Naxx. Malygos difficulty perhaps with the random anti-magic zones.

There's no real positioning for KT. It's important to group up melee into 2 groups, and have them standing away from the tank, and make sure everyone's in range for healing, but that's about it. The tanks should move the adds around at the back behind the ranged, as the adds are big and so you can't always see the void zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Calaba
    The Prince tactic originated from the door not closing in the first month or so, so the whole raid could stand in the corridor and nuke/heal until he went down. An infernal could drop on the tank, but you'd just heal through it. When they fixed the door, the tactics guides were still around showing this, so many guilds assumed that was how it was done, even though the tactic failed. But yeh, Prince became a bit of a luck-fest anyway, where you could get 3 bad infernals in the middle of the room and then wipe. Yeh he'd always go down after 2 or 3 attempts, but it wasn't as easy as Naxx. Malygos difficulty perhaps with the random anti-magic zones.

There's no real positioning for KT. It's important to group up melee into 2 groups, and have them standing away from the tank, and make sure everyone's in range for healing, but that's about it. The tanks should move the adds around at the back behind the ranged, as the adds are big and so you can't always see the void zones.
    I know. Its just the door tactic was kept around for some reason, and I just thought it was god damn retarded. The majority of idiot raid leaders would say to position near the door because they "heard you were supposed to", so I'm simply saying that sometimes the FOTM strategy isn't right.

Always done it that way.. In all my guildruns and in about.. 5 pugs : <
    I've no idea what to write here.

Prince door tactic...
    One that worked for a long time was to stash the whole ranged part of raid in the left corner of the doorway and tank would just stand in max range & eat infernal if it dropped on him.... other infernals didn't drop in such position as to aoe the raid if they stood at the exact right spot in that doorway corner...

But of course that got fixed too