Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blacksmithing: What's the point?

I've been a Blacksmith on one character or another since Vanilla WoW, and I'm starting to wonder what the point is besides the sockets? I mean, the sockets are nice, and that's really the only reason I've kept it...but I can't help but feel that Blacksmiths needs a change to make it less...boring. It just seems that most professions at least have some neat toys or abilities, but all blacksmiths get are keys...which engineers have, too, though theirs explode. We can make armor, but a lot of it is crap or BOE, which is good for selling, but does nothing to make having the profession special. The reward for all that leveling is saving tip money you'd have to pay someone?

So, as the threat name suggest, I want to know what the point is? I know Blacksmiths are necessary, but what's the allure to being one yourself besides the sockets?
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

Re: Blacksmithing: What's the point?

The other ironic thing is that our "buff" while being cheap doesnt actually give us anything, but an empty socket, which we then have to spend a decent chunk of cash to fill.

As a tailor or leatherworker their "buffs" are cheap and easy to do, and have no external cost associated with them. Id really like the idea of "sockets" to change to "inset" or "filiments" where we actually put the epic level enchant/buff on our gear not just the socket. So we dont have to go out and spend even more money to fill it with a gem.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

sockets

Yes, I mentioned sockets, but other professions do it better and cheaper.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

If you compare the Socket ability to those of other professions, you'll see that it all equals out nicely. Also, try looking at some of the Ulduar / Coliseum BS Plans, they are among the BiS items.

Quote Originally Posted by SPF18
    So, as the threat name suggest, I want to know what the point is?
    Why are you making threats?
    What IS your threat?
    Do you plan to back it up?

And above all.... Should we be scared?

Depends. My main is tailor and had no real use for nearly all the gear he crafted while leveling the profession through Northrend. Oh well, but the carpet is nice ...

My DK however took blacksmithing and while leveling, I always walked around in some pieces of self-made gear. Gearing up for heroics, I reached the def cap by nearly only blacksmithing gear. And besides that, the blacksmithing armor is a lot easier to make than the tailoring stuff mats-wise. Tailoring: Even with enchanting as my other profession, the needed dusts seemed to be a bottomless pit. Blacksmithing: My DK just needed to farm saronite and got all the mats he needed this way. After 440 ofc, it gets harder ...

I guess my point is not so valid if you have got other means of getting your gear, but anyway, for me it was very useful. Aaaand ... I can open lockboxes without being a rogue.

It's not just "sockets." It's the fact that you can put any gem you want into those sockets. Enchanters can only put SP, AP or Stam onto their rings, but a BS can throw an agility gem or a spirit gem into that prismatic slot - something that may be of more use than just SP or AP or Stam.

In a nutshell, sockets provide more customization and flexibility via gem choice. It's ideal for min/maxing.

Lets make this even more specific. Sockets are the bonus for being a blacksmith. Whats the point in picking a specializaton? Some crap level 78 BoP blue gear?

Quote Originally Posted by bbr
    Why are you making threats?
    What IS your threat?
    Do you plan to back it up?

And above all.... Should we be scared?
    Thread* ...cut me some slack, I was tired =P

I won't even go into specializations, they're beyond useless. And as for the the putting anything you want into a socket, that's true, but I still don't care and I still have to pay for the gems. And yeah, the Crusader stuff is nice, but they're BOE. I'm asking what's the point of being one yourself?

there isn't one. blacksmithing sucks balls

is that what you wanted to hear? seriously, people have said what the bonus(es) is(are). you just won't accept that. move on.

well idk about you but I am pretty happy with 68 more armor pen or 68 more strength? And I can make most of the gear for my plate alts and not have to worry about running effin BRD or finding someone to do that crap with...I LOVE BS

sockets - nuff said.. as mentioned it equals out in stats gain with other professions and while having some nice leveling gear and lvl80 starter gear, its probably as useful as any other profession is.

If you are all about toys and neat stuff, reroll engineering :P

And as for the the putting anything you want into a socket, that's true, but I still don't care
    If you don't know the value of 2 extra sockets because you simply "don't care" about it, just reroll professions.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

but all blacksmiths get are keys...which engineers have, too, though theirs explode.
    Actually no, we don't, not anymore. We did not receive improved Seaforium in Wrath, so take your second best PVE profession bonus and go cry me a god damn river.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by Bullhurley
    Actually 2 extra sockets DOES NOT equal out what other professions get, close but does not. Shoulder and wrist glyph from script and lw, 120ap. You guys show me normal or epic gems that give that, even with 2 sockets. I will be waiting......
    Well, the standard shoulder inscription gives you 40AP and 15 crit. The inscription glyph gives you 104AP and 15 crit.
    104-40= 64 -> 2x 32AP gems
    It's even better to classes which scale better with STR, because they can gem 2x 16STR and will give them more bonus than 64AP.
    if you really were from Sweden this thread would be about metal

I didn't know Titansteel Guardians/Bonecrushers/Destroyers were crap 78 BoE blues
    Soviet Russia was merely a setback!

Relys Sunwalker
    Rakzor Frostwolf
    Descle Dubraig

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bullhurley
    The ap bonus went up with the patch so its not 104, even thought the gems went up a bit as well. Again close but not the same. And yes stats that scale with kings/motw might end up better but not all classes use them. But to make something clear the 2 extra socket bonus really does not bother me as much as them not really scaleing specializations on some professions up with the new content.
    120-40=80 -> 2x 20str/40AP gems= 40str=80AP
    What? Why? When? Who? Which? How? Wait...
    Havoc Demon Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn! The thick plottens.

Really complaining about the sockets sucking because you have to get them then buy the gems?

I have an idea... Normal people would call this IDK.. a PROFESION. But what you do is make an Epic BoE SELL it get anywhere from 700-5k gold (depending on server) and bam you bought you gem.... oh wait a minute and you have MORE money I KNOW!!! Lets buy more mats and make more BoE Epics!! Oh man more money! Wow the money just keeps coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uggz View Post
    /facepalm, assasination mastery increases poison damage, as far as i'm aware envenom doesn't count as poison damage

Quote Originally Posted by tremors
    Really complaining about the sockets sucking because you have to get them then buy the gems?

I have an idea... Normal people would call this IDK.. a PROFESION. But what you do is make an Epic BoE SELL it get anywhere from 700-5k gold (depending on server) and bam you bought you gem.... oh wait a minute and you have MORE money I KNOW!!! Lets buy more mats and make more BoE Epics!! Oh man more money! Wow the money just keeps coming!
    Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts!
    Homer: Explain how!