Thread: Block Value

Block Value

So with the increase in block is it considered BiS to use the Bracers, Cape, and Boots from Naxx with the block & block value with us. I have about 35% block and have the t8.5 4 set and rocking those 3 items and the block neck from Kolo, Belt from Razor and Ring from XT from Ulduar 25. I was wondering if this is beneficial or would i need to go for the crafted belt and boots and my inferno bracers and my 25 EOE necklace.

Maybe this will be easier

http://www.armory-light.com/us/The%2...ast/Onebyone/#

Current set up. I'm going to put on my -.- val shoders and get the badge conquest legs soon as i farm up 20 more badges and regem. (was farming 5 man for trink all night last ToC and got nothing D Should i waste my time getting the crafted or keep up with high block? I normally have 2 sets of gear but in every fight i don't need my dodge gear. I made a whole 2nd set like a good MT but i never need it. LF input do i need the dodge gear or not?

Re: Block Value

How much block value are you up in now?

So with the increase in block is it considered BiS to use the Bracers, Cape, and Boots from Naxx with the block & block value?
    Simple answer - No.
    /thread

Despite changes to block, they still haven't done enough to warrant a change in priorities, stamina is your top priority (if you wish to even be considered for Uld Hard Modes), followed by avoidance, whilst maintaining decent threat stats.

As far as block value is concerned, the patch makes it so we're not absolutely loathing it when they place it on our tiered gear. However, if you're serious about progression you should by no means be stacking it.

Eraser

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser
    Simple answer - No.
    /thread

Despite changes to block, they still haven't done enough to warrant a change in priorities, stamina is your top priority (if you wish to even be considered for Uld Hard Modes), followed by avoidance, whilst maintaining decent threat stats.

As far as block value is concerned, the patch makes it so we're not absolutely loathing it when they place it on our tiered gear. However, if you're serious about progression you should by no means be stacking it.

Eraser
    Avoidance first, over a mana sponge. Even your disc priests shouldn't be asking for innervates.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti
    Avoidance first, over a mana sponge. Even your disc priests shouldn't be asking for innervates.
    Its really not that simple, that's a lot bigger debate than I can handle myself...especially with the recent improvements to SBV.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

Wow this is blowing my mind. So many tanks have been talking about how stoked they are to do this because the amount of mitigation you should get from block should help you with not needing dodge as much to the point where you get hit more and keep rage/threat up with out having to be a druid and dodge everything. So block is still not the stat to for even with the increase. I was going to give it a shot tonight in the raid (We are a weekend guild) I think i still will but i may start putting my dodge gear back on if it doesn't work out.

If you could guarantee blocks all the time (like in BC) then sure, it'd be a valid mitigation stat. As it stands, its a way to increase the effect of your worst "avoidance". You have to stack block rating AND block value to get a major contribution (other than to Shield Slam), and it's just not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drawme
    If you could guarantee blocks all the time (like in BC) then sure, it'd be a valid mitigation stat. As it stands, its a way to increase the effect of your worst "avoidance". You have to stack block rating AND block value to get a major contribution (other than to Shield Slam), and it's just not worth it.
    And I could counter that by saying that effective health is effective health, especially at a point where you can cap sbv and stack avoidance.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

I use block value gear in Heroics, which gives me about 1800 block unbuffed along with nearly 30 % block rating. Not great, but certainly more than enough to negate much of the damage in HCs. 4.3k block with trinkets, shield block and lavanthor's talisman is awesome and yields nice 10k shield slam crits with enrage up.

But nothing I use in raids but OS25/10 and Naxx10. Everything else, I slap on the good ol' HP/armour/dodge-gear and ignore block completely.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Avoidance isn't going to help with Mimiron's Plasma blasts. D: Stamina is the best being that there are some very large Magic Attacks in the game at the moment and they're un-avoidable. Once you get enough stamina to survive anything, then I'd stack avoidance/threatyness.

Also the reason block isn't very good is because of the state that it is in at the moment, bosses are hitting for upwards of 20k damage, your shield block stops 4k damage (max), compare that to a miss which means that you avoided 20k damage.

The question about capping sbv would be as a threat value, not as a defensive one - you can't cap defensive sbv? Even then I think most people are hitting the soft cap in their gear already, I kind of think it's a non-issue, though I'd like to see some figures before I clarify that :P.

Anyway hope that helps and stuff.
    Eraser

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser
    Avoidance isn't going to help with Mimiron's Plasma blasts. D: Stamina is the best being that there are some very large Magic Attacks in the game at the moment and they're un-avoidable.

Yeh, but you can just wear stamina gear for that fight, and different gear for others. A good tank has a fluid gear setup which leans to counter the most important aspects of different fights.

sure avoidance saves mana, but all a tank needs to do is live. GL surviving runic punches on hard mode IC when RNG fails you
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)