Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Tankadin weapon enchant and laziness

In short: I was searching for a source with a good analysis of weapon enchants for protection paladins after 3.2. Since I'm waaaayy too lazy at the moment (going to bed at 7AM ftw) I'm just gonna ask. Can you guys help me with this?

Please, no personal claims. If you're gonna post "X enchant is best" then add reliable math or link a source that supports your ideas with some real evidence. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Re: Tankadin weapon enchant and laziness

Depends on what you are looking for. In terms of pure avoidance enchanting, mongoose is still the best (although extremly marginally). Blade Ward is 2nd to mongoose just in terms of avoidance, but adds a little bit of threat.

Finally most importantly blood draining is now easily considered best for progression tanking - the heal is nice and combined with the AD change will no longer cause a leapfrog where there wasnt one before (although in 3.1 it used to save you from as many situations as it killed you). There isnt really much to evidence for that, the other enchants simply dont add anything valuable other than tiny amounts of avoidance so the heal is pretty much the only thing going thats decent. Id give you a link to Maintankadin but the site is down for a bit.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Minarva
    Depends on what you are looking for. In terms of pure avoidance enchanting, mongoose is still the best (although extremly marginally). Blade Ward is 2nd to mongoose just in terms of avoidance, but adds a little bit of threat.

Finally most importantly blood draining is now easily considered best for progression tanking - the heal is nice and combined with the AD change will no longer cause a leapfrog where there wasnt one before (although in 3.1 it used to save you from as many situations as it killed you). There isnt really much to evidence for that, the other enchants simply dont add anything valuable other than tiny amounts of avoidance so the heal is pretty much the only thing going thats decent. Id give you a link to Maintankadin but the site is down for a bit.
    Blood draining realy sux, i recommend you to not take it, it's pure crap, with a CD of 10sec between stacking charges agains't a boss that hit you for a large part of your life, this enchant won't save you.

I'd recommend you Bladeward, which have a high proc rate, and often stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalariüs
    Blood draining realy sux, i recommend you to not take it, it's pure crap, with a CD of 10sec between stacking charges agains't a boss that hit you for a large part of your life, this enchant won't save you.

I'd recommend you Bladeward, which have a high proc rate, and often stacks.
    It was either you are the luckiest SOB on the face of the earth or it was buffed in 3.2, because i used it in 3.1 the proc rate was so low to the point it sometimes doesnt proc during in some fights, which makes it even harder to get more than 1 stack... i upgraded my weapon to Last Laugh and enchanted it with weapon chain for the moment, i was thinking maybe Accuracy or Monoose.

I like 20 str + titanium plating to shield as a preferance for the combination threat and mitigation(and im eating DRs with 20 defense).

Accuracy 25 hit/crit is a nice pure-threat alternative, along with 26 agility/mongoose doing well in the avoidance(and to a lesser degree threat) departments (26 agi for most who would prefer stats over procs).

As far as bladewarding, its probably the best enchant for overall avoidance, but once again it is a proc and many people dont roll like that. 8)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirako
    It was either you are the luckiest SOB on the face of the earth or it was buffed in 3.2, because i used it in 3.1 the proc rate was so low to the point it sometimes doesnt proc during in some fights, which makes it even harder to get more than 1 stack... i upgraded my weapon to Last Laugh and enchanted it with weapon chain for the moment, i was thinking maybe Accuracy or Monoose.
    I don't have much experiance with it personally, but then i was 2h tanking (dont judge me! :-[) I was consistantly getting 2-3 stacks up at once on single targets.

All in all i wouldnt say there is an absolute best, just a preferance issue. Also, i am bad at maths so i provided none. Plz allow EJ to do that for me.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag

Blade warding was buffed in 3.2, prior to 3.2 I was getting about a 12% uptime on the buff on bosses. After I am getting about a 35-40% uptime with it on bosses.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Hirako

Thx to 3.2, now this enchant kickass ! (yes it was buffed in 3.2)

yup i also noticed Bladeward being up more often. i also see it climb a few stacks which would rarely happen before.

For a paladin tank it would go blade ward then Blood draining since pallys focus more on parry etc.

Yes, blade ward was indeed buffed and potentially overpowered. I'd stick with it until we get more solid information.

But my initially analysis is:

Avoidance, survival, mitigetion - Blade Ward

Threat - Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Heleon
    For a paladin tank it would go blade ward then Blood draining since pallys focus more on parry etc.
    Paladins do not focus on parry. If it comes passively on gear, great, but it is definately not something you strive to stack like you would dodge and shield block value.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag

So what should i pick for a beginner tank?
    Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill
    That's like Darth Vader arguing to Luke that "The Death Star really isn't that great, sure it blows up planets on a 75 second cooldown, but the weakness is that while blowing up a planet it isn't blowing up any other planets, unless they are in the same solar system, and if they are LoL L2Play stuipd planets....being in the same solar system! hah!"

Quote Originally Posted by bo7like
    So what should i pick for a beginner tank?
    The good old 20 Strength endchant.

if you're using a crappy blue weapon or a nax10 weapon then i'd just use a Titanium weapon chain.

once you get to a 25Nax or Ulduar weapon then i'd go with what "Offhand" said

Bladeward for Avoidance/Survival
    or
    Accuracy for Threat

Agree with blade ward buff, it procs more often than 3.1. But blood draining also looks good on paper, but since we don't have bleeding dmg ( i assume SoV stacks are not counting bleed dmg ) it will probably proc less than a warrior (with deep wounds) or druid.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by cappytoi
    Agree with blade ward buff, it procs more often than 3.1. But blood draining also looks good on paper, but since we don't have bleeding dmg ( i assume SoV stacks are not counting bleed dmg ) it will probably proc less than a warrior (with deep wounds) or druid.
    proc can't occur more often than once every 10sec, so it takes 50sec to get 5 stacks to get healed for 2k5, on bosses you'd never be higher than35% hp for 50sec. You won t benefit from blood draining, and it won t save you.

TL,DR blood draining sux

Potency +20 str gives us Att pwr +block threat and avoidance in 1 cheap but awsome enchant bladeward may prove to be a viable alternative but forget mongoose ..lastly titanium weapon chain is always good if you have a weapon that you dont intend on haveing to long

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Primetheous
    Potency +20 str gives us Att pwr +block threat and avoidance in 1 cheap but awsome enchant bladeward may prove to be a viable alternative but forget mongoose ..lastly titanium weapon chain is always good if you have a weapon that you dont intend on haveing to long
    This is the type of post I explicitly mentioned I didn't want to see. But I guess reading comprehension is hard these days.

Anyway. I got the info I was looking for, so it would seem my Sorthalis will get Blade Ward instead of Mongoose. My TPS is skyrocketing these days, so I don't really need to go pick a threat-only enchant.
    Topic closed, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

This was a poor choice, the top tanks in top guilds don't use blood draining for nothing. But well...c'est la vie.

I took a little poll on my server and found that Blood draining seemed to be the enchant of choice. Increased parry or Dodge for a few seconds is nice but you can't beat getting a (sometimes large) clinche heal when you drop below 35% in boss fights.