Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rated bgs comes in expansion?

"Rated battlegrounds will be added to the game and should get you the same rewards as Arenas"
    So Blizzard decide to postpone revamp of bgs sistem till new expansion?
    I thought they said it will be done in some next major patch but nothing so far as new xpansion

Re: Rated bgs comes in expansion?

I was hoping so as well.. but I guess we should be happy it is happening at all. Perhaps this means that the expansion will arrive much quicker than expected if they are not investing much in upcoming patches.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

I'm pretty sure they said "might be done in one major patch". But honestly, they had been stalling for a while, I can't say I didn't see it coming. Also, I think someone is gonna ask that in the Q&A panel, so you should get a more definitive answer soon enough.

Well, considering the fact that they DO release a major patch before every expansion, one that gets the game ready for the expansion with the content and talent trees as well as other stuff.

Remember patch 2.0? Released BEFORE TBC. Remember patch 3.0? Released BEFORE WotLK.

I wouldn't doubt it that Blizzard will release patch 4.0 just before Cataclysm goes live that revamps a lot of the changes they are talking about, including the Rated BGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous
    Well, considering the fact that they DO release a major patch before every expansion, one that gets the game ready for the expansion with the content and talent trees as well as other stuff.

Remember patch 2.0? Released BEFORE TBC. Remember patch 3.0? Released BEFORE WotLK.

I wouldn't doubt it that Blizzard will release patch 4.0 just before Cataclysm goes live that revamps a lot of the changes they are talking about, including the Rated BGs.
    Agree, but that means will not see bg revamp in next 10-12 months.

15+ Year Old Account

Either this rated BG or arena will die when both will be on live servers. Why? Balancing them both at the same time is an impossible task. As an example: Hunters are waaaaaaay underrepresented in arena, but they absolutely ROCK in BG. How do you ever want to balance that?

All I can do is hoping that Blizzard is being smarter then me here, since it sounds absolutely amazing but impossible to balance...

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Balduvian
    Either this rated BG or arena will die when both will be on live servers. Why? Balancing them both at the same time is an impossible task. As an example: Hunters are waaaaaaay underrepresented in arena, but they absolutely ROCK in BG. How do you ever want to balance that?

All I can do is hoping that Blizzard is being smarter then me here, since it sounds absolutely amazing but impossible to balance...
    Well you use machine guns and grenades in street fights and in middle of deserts you use tanks and aviation. classes work different, if you want everything equally represented everywhere i think its time for you to consider a 4000 year old game called Chess.

I think this is exactly why they've spent such a long time on it. We've already seen how imbalanced Arena can be, and Blizzard has too. I'm sure they're working on some sort of solution to it, if they haven't already found it.

15+ Year Old Account

parhaps they finaly give up trying and give spells several useages.

1 for pve, 1 for arena and 1 for BG or something in that direction
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by frag971
    Well you use machine guns and grenades in street fights and in middle of deserts you use tanks and aviation. classes work different, if you want everything euqlly represented everywhere i think its time for you to consider a 4000 year old game called Chess.
    That's not the point. The point is balancing PvE with Arena is already impossible, and with this change they would make balancing even harder by adding a third totally different playstyle.

Making a change nearly always affects every playstyle, and with another playstyle added they're making themselves having a harder time to balance this game then ever before. Doesn't mean I dislike the idea though.

Besides, Chess isn't 4000 years old.

I´m wondering what all the

" Nobody cares about battlegrounds" -sayers are going to do when they are getting hammered by a 10 man paladin group in Warsong.

I pretty much always expected rated BGs in the next expansion. It's a pretty big thing.

Deleted

only thing i care in pvp is battlegrounds and world pvp, arenas suck, thats not war, its not why i [started] play WoW

Quote Originally Posted by frag971
    only thing i care in pvp is battlegrounds and world pvp, arenas suck, thats not war, its not why i [started] play WoW
    I'm with you, I like BGs and world pvp. Well, I would like BGs if people would actually try to do the freakin objectives and not just go for HK HK HK HK HK!
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

Blizzard will have new chance for bg balance through revamping skills and plus trough mastery sistem.
    Only question is left would they saw importance of bgs as alot of players of bgs see.

ok its like this. to get the raiting you must do the following

get a FULL premade group consisting of the exact number the bg holds. example. for AB to get the raiting you need a full 15 man premade. not 14 or you wont get raiting you need a full 15 people

you can only get raiting out of a set number of games a week. so for example ( blizz says 6 or more ( the way i take that is around 6 ) ) games a WEEK you will be able to get raiting. no more than that.

now if they give 50 raiting per win and you can play 10 games a week thats 500 raiting a week if you win every game. 2k a month if you win every game

now lets say you lose half of the games you play

250 a week 1k a month 3k per arena season. thats with a 50/50 win loss. now this is acourding to blizz ( they dont want bgs to be the only way people get arena raiting ) aka they still want you doing arena they just want bgs to suppliment your arena raiting. ( retarted i know )

The CURRENT problems with BGs stem from the fact that the only rewards you can get by doing it are last season's offset pieces (honor only) and to get anything from the current season you HAVE TO HAVE arena ratings. Combine that with the fact that the items you can get with arena cost between 30k and 50k honor each, which mostly comes from the mark turn in quest. So you have to spend time in each of the 6 BGs in order to get an equivalent number of marks from each, netting a little bit of honor each game, but then getting the majority of your honor from turning these marks in.

And blizzard wonders why people AFK for honor or do nothing but farm HKs? When it takes less time to lose 3 times than it does to win once, and you have to amass a large amount of marks quickly just to get enough honor for one thing, people want the best gear they can get, and they want it quickly. So they obviously go about it as quickly as they can and do as little as is necessary, and thus your problematic BGs are born.

Why? Because people want competitive gear. All because people want gear in order to be more competitive.

So, you eliminate that problem and then you will have eliminated all the other problems. If you provide the gear people want, without making it a huge grind process, people can skip the unfun part and get right down to the enjoyment of their game. Do I want to spend a month grinding my ass off in BGs for gear that will get replaced in 6 months? Not really.

I would rather spend half that time BGing at a casual pace, getting the same gear, and the other half of that time enjoying the gear. That way when the new season comes out with new gear, I am not completely turned off by yet another grind.

Most players who QQ about the game getting easier don't realize that the gear you are QQing about is essential to every aspect of this game. Without decent gear you aren't going to be raiding. Without decent gear you aren't going to be PVPing. Why make acquiring that gear a huge grindfest when it doesn't need to be.

IMO, they need to take BGs back to square one, like they used to be. Have all the gear available for set, non set, AND weapons at the BG vendors, without a rating requirement. Have it all there for it's typical current season price, and then have the same exact gear available for a huge discount (which would require ratings) at the arena vendors.

If Blizzard did this then BG/Arena representation would jump considerably. More players would be competitive in Arena because they would be able to get the gear, and more players would have fun doing it AND BGs. Fun is the operative word here. As it is, this game is a part time job, full time if you want to both raid and pvp.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account

'Link achievement'

it's needed for just about anything.
    it has become a mentality: 'I don't want to waste time on anyone actually NEEDING the gear, I just want my OWN PROFIT FAST'

Translate this to the new rated bg system:

even if you're pugging it (pvp guilds WILL dominate all rated bg's soon), than you will NOT get invited without the best pvp gear AND some way to show you have done it all before.

Rated bg's as the system is presented now = pvpguilds and people already at the top of the pvp ladder (if they aren't in a pvp guild already)

No casual in pvp starter gear will ever be invited to a PuG going for a rated bg.
    Especially not with the limit on rated bg's.
    No matter how good that individual player is, his gear will determine he won't get that invite.

Rated bg's were announced to REWARD GOING FOR OBJECTIVES in bg's, as opposed to hk-farming, and more: leeching and afk'ing.
    This system does not reward an individual doing his best, it only rewards pvp guilds and premades with an elitist attitude.

Don't get me wrong: it's nice that premades get something for their effort and skill.
    It's just disappointing that the change that was announced as rewarding individual efforts in bg's, turned out to do nothing of the sort.

If you're not getting into a premade, you'll be stuck in the mud even more than now.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Frunhilda
    Basically, normal people with decent pvp gear will get obliterated by premades composed of uber pvp guilds.
    And it's getting worse. People with great PvP gear will get obliterated by premades with lesser gear...

Well, I for one have been looking forward to rated battlegrounds, because honestly, my main thing in WoW is PvE and Arena is just a step too high for me (not necessarily because of (lack of) skill, since honestly, I don't really mind being obliterated by teams way more skilled than I am - but because organizing it and finding people with more than half a braincell and willing to play with someone who never did 2k rating before, is really difficult and I'm, I think, just too shy to try it seriously. This is why I really think rated bgs was a good idea for people like me at least, until I read this thread).

I therefore enjoy most of my PvP time (and I really enjoy PvP!) in battlegrounds.

Anyway, point being, as a not too experienced a person in either bgs or arena compared to you guys (and not as smart, I usually fail at speculating and predicting), I was hoping for you guys to elaborate to me how rated battlegrounds is going to fail so bad as you predict it will. If it will it will make me most sad. I don't care much for premades, they're not interesting or fun and are mostly an IWIN the moment you join one - not exciting in the least. Since battlegrounds are open access even for those not in a raid or a party, do you honestly think rated bgs will be dominated by guilds and premades, or will this just occasionally be the case, just as it is with regular bgs?

If you fear it will be dominated by guilds and premades, are there any way you can think of that would 'solve' it? Or is this Blizzard's intent? :/

And do you think the nonrated battlegrounds of that week will be deserted as a result of the rated one?

Meh, this thread made me sad.