Thread: FPS Upgrade?

FPS Upgrade?

hey. i pretty much have a question. first off, i have a decently old laptop, i'm not going to get into the parts and all of that because for this question, it's kind of unimportant. i can get around 20 fps not around many people, etc. and i've been as low as 0.6 fps in a multiple person combat situation. i was wondering, if there is any way to increase your frames without blasting away money on improving parts, etc. reason being that i might get a new laptop in a few months, but until then...

Re: FPS Upgrade?

drop everything on the low settings and play in 600x400?

Quote Originally Posted by ohshift
    drop everything on the low settings and play in 600x400?
    i have all the video settings on the lowest, completely forgot to try 600x400. i'll do that once my account is recovered from a recent hack. thanks for the reminder/suggestion.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Chirp
    hey. i pretty much have a question. first off, i have a decently old laptop, i'm not going to get into the parts and all of that because for this question, it's kind of unimportant. i can get around 20 fps not around many people, etc. and i've been as low as 0.6 fps in a multiple person combat situation. i was wondering, if there is any way to increase your frames without blasting away money on improving parts, etc. reason being that i might get a new laptop in a few months, but until then...
    You could overwrite/manipulate your Windows boot.ini to allow more virtual Memory, that should bring up your FPS a bit, but not too much. Oh, and... Dont allow more virtual Memory than you habe phisicall. Not good. I know it. NOT! good.

600x400? Have fun reading 2px wide fonts!

There is not much you can do about the bad performance. Adopt your playstyle to it. Go farm some Gold or do some AH business until your new laptop arrives.
    [USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST]

Quote Originally Posted by Córiban
    You could overwrite/manipulate your Windows boot.ini to allow more virtual Memory, that should bring up your FPS a bit, but not too much.
    know any specific ways i could go about doing so? i've found the boot.ini but not sure how i would modify it in such a way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare
    There is not much you can do about the bad performance. Adopt your playstyle to it. Go farm some Gold or do some AH business until your new laptop arrives.
    was planning on not being able to do much, but it would still be nice to do a 10 man or some heroics every now and then until (and if) i get a new laptop. 25 mans i think are out of the question, but i'll try one. haven't been on in a while since i was hacked, maybe something's changed.

There are 2 nice budget 17" laptops from gateway with some nice specs that you can get for about $900-$1100

The p series 7807u FX core 2 duo p8600 2.4ghz 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz Bus speed 4gb ddr3 320gb 7200 rpm hdd 9800m gts 1gb
    The p series 7805u FX core 2 duo p8400 2.26ghz 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz Bus speed 4gb ddr3 320gb 7200 rpm hdd 9800m gts 1gb

the only thing is that the screen resolution on the lcd they have is 1440x900

I have the 7805u and i play at 1920x1200 (mine came with a WUXGA(1920x1200 screen) with 30-60 fps generally at max settings.
    It drops to 20 in combat in some situation but thats the lowest i get.

best buy has it for $1100 i think and on ebay you can get them for $500-$900 refurbished/ used or sometimes even new.

Quote Originally Posted by mightus
    It drops to 20 in combat in some situation but thats the lowest i get.
    that seems almost unbelievable for me. i couldn't imagine running that fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by mightus
    There are 2 nice budget 17" laptops from gateway with some nice specs that you can get for about $900-$1100
    best buy has it for $1100 i think and on ebay you can get them for $500-$900 refurbished/ used or sometimes even new.
    the problem is, i don't have the money now. or anytime soon, so i'm just looking for a temporary and free fps boost, if such a thing were to exist.