Shamans and Macros

so ive been looking at some nice macros (the stormstrike and /startattack ones i know of and they seem to do the trick) but i have just recently acquired the badge trinket (128 hit and 1024 ap for 20 seconds on use) and was wondering which skill to macro it to.

the Three i was thinking about was Feral Spirit, Shamanastic Rage and Stormstrike

Feral Spirit: to make sure that the wolves get the attack power bonus (i also use the glyph to make them get more ap)

Shaman Rage: because i usually save Shamanastic rage for a nuke part of the boss (take XT's heart for example) I would use wolves, then pop Heroism / Bloodlust, then use shaman rage, this way the wolves are getting the +ap from the trinket and i have more chance to get more mana back, plus using wolves and hero is about 2k drain on mana, and sometimes its nice to get that back quickly.

Stormstrike: the only reason i would use this on this skill is so that the proc rate is happening as much as possible, therefore as soon as the trinket would be off CD i would use SS to make the uptime of the trinket as close to max as possible

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated

oh and if anyone wants to see the macro...

/cast (skill name here)
    /use 13 or 14 (depending on where your trinket with the use proc is)
    /startattack (just to make sure im attacking and not wasting any of the effect)
    Raining Pandarens because of the bouncy racial?
    Quote Originally Posted by rokatoro View Post
    Some Might say it was... (•_•).....( •_•)>⌐■-■....(⌐■_■) A heavy Rain.
    I'm so sorry ;_;

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Shamans and Macros

I personally don't play enhancement all the time but I do now and then. I'm going to go on a limb here with what you've stated and assume (and please do correct me) that you bought the ap totem relic. It would probably be in your best interest for attatching it to Stormstrike then popping other cooldowns for maximum damage and puppy ap. but would only work obviously if the cooldown of Stormstrike is up before you need to use Heroism/Bloodlust for the raid and needing to get your puppies out.

That's just my two cents for it.
    :3

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiricdemise
    I personally don't play enhancement all the time but I do now and then. I'm going to go on a limb here with what you've stated and assume (and please do correct me) that you bought the ap totem relic.
    nah i said at the top this is about the Badge of Supremecy the emblem trinket you get for 50 triumph emblems which has 128 hit and 1024 ap on use. This topic i made to see what other shamans think about which skill / spell they would attach the use proc on to.

in terms of what relic i use? im using the +200 haste / LB one atm.

(edit: fixed some typo's)
    Raining Pandarens because of the bouncy racial?
    Quote Originally Posted by rokatoro View Post
    Some Might say it was... (•_•).....( •_•)>⌐■-■....(⌐■_■) A heavy Rain.
    I'm so sorry ;_;

My personal preference is to use on use trinkets like this one with Stormstrike, because then I get the most out of it, and I don't have to worry about timing it right. And my wolves/bloodlust are usually enough of a dps burst that using my trinkets on every cooldown ends up in more of an overall gain than using it in burst moments. Most of that is due to the fact that trinkets don't line up perfectly with other cooldowns, and I am somewhat lazy/forgetful at times.

Using it with Shamanistic Rage would be O.K. I guess, but I hardly ever need to use that, even in 10 mans. In fact the only places I really do use it are when soloing, in 5 mans, or in PvP. And even then its only when I am using like Magma Totem or Chain Lightning (lol...) on trash and such. Even in cases where I pop wolves and Bloodlust, I never get low on mana in raids...

But here is the macro that I use:

#showtooltip Stormstrike
    /cast Blood Fury
    /use 13
    /use 14
    /cast Stormstrike
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
    /startattack

Making sure that the '?' icon is chosen, and the error sound is turned off in the sound options.

10+ Year Old Account

Miscommunication or my lack of reading here. I understand you bought the Badge of Supremacy trinket but I was also going off of another assumption due to this statement below that you have the AP relic totem and not the haste relic totem, hence the correct me if I'm wrong part.

Quote Originally Posted by Barky
    Stormstrike: the only reason i would use this on this skill is so that the proc rate is happening as much as possible, therefore as soon as the trinket would be off CD i would use SS to make the uptime of the trinket as close to max as possible
    I'll still stand by putting it with Stormstrike over the other abilities for the trinket.
    :3

stormstrike will give the best uptime
    wolves will give the biggest burst
    rage will give more mana

stormstrike or wolves are the best

NEVER use /use 13 /use 14 in macros
    use /use Trinket Name
    and update it every time you get a new trinket, its miles better
    Val'anyr Completed: July 9
    Mimiron's Head
    Comablack @ magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by comablack
    NEVER use /use 13 /use 14 in macros
    use /use Trinket Name
    and update it every time you get a new trinket, its miles better
    While this maybe in fact be a somewhat true statement, it would be best to explain why you think it is best to never use the slot numbers in a macro.

The simplest example for not using a slot number would be if you were to PvP and swap out to a fear trinket, then the same slot number based same macro would pop that fear trinket on every cooldown.

I suppose I could have gone into a bit more detail myself as well. With my macro, I use the numbers, and don't have to update my macro if I swap a trinket out. I also have two macros though, one for PvE, and one for PvP. When I change specs to my Enhancement PvP (lol...) spec, my action bars swap, and my second macro is there without slot number 14 on it. I also use Outfitter to swap into my PvP gear.

I never have any issues at all, but I can understand where putting the trinket names into the macro would be better depending on the situation. However, it may also be beneficial to know about putting item numbers in macros instead of items with character lengths of more than 10 characters.

For example, on my brand new trinket that I picked up last night: Vengeance of the Forsaken I could put the following line in the macro:

/use Vengeance of the Forsaken

Or, I can put this instead:

/use item:47881

What this does is essentially save 15 characters for a really long item name. In my macro above it may not be much of an issue, but if you have several long named trinkets that you swap out of regularly, or in another macro, it could be helpful. Just depends on the situation.

Knowing the difference as to when you are able to use slot numbers versus item name or item number is pretty important. But saying that you should "NEVER" put slot numbers in a macro is not accurate. And not giving a reason behind why you should "NEVER" put use slot numbers in a macro is just annoying.

Lyska

Why on earth would you save SR for a burn phase..? Only use SR when you're getting low. Exceptions to this are healing heavy phases, or to get yourself back to 100% going into a burn phase.. or simply to have it on cooldown during a non-essential part of the boss fight (ie 15-20 seconds before the end of a phase on mimiron.... go into the next at full mana and 25 seconds left on the cooldown).
    But yes, I agree that /use <name> is superior to /use <number>. I switch trinkets for PVP or iLvL sets all the time, and if I forget or they get mixed up.. I don't screw myself over.
    That expertise and on use FotFF trinket is garbage. I don't know what your gear is like.. I guess you could have no access to shoulders/gloves.. but it's really not very good.

I'm not a big macro user and not even sure if I need them. The macros I do use is resing macro which announces in raid chat the name of person being resed by me (/cast <res spell name/ra Resing t%) iirc, and bloodlust macro to say it raid chat when I use it.
    How good is the /start attack/stormstrike macro? And is it that hows it has to look? Don't have any "use" trinkets currently in my gear and I wouldn't macro them anyway because I do like to chose when I want to use em. Don't think I'd want /cast Lightning Bolt/stop casting macro either because sometimes I do use MW4_LB.
    Any more macros you could recommend? Why would one want to use them and can you write exactly how they should look?

Always wanted to see a macro thread for shamans just with some more explanations and examples

Macros are pretty playstyle dependant. Macros I love you'd probably find silly or useless.

Code:
    /startattack
    /cast Stormstrike
    This macro is useful for those who don't right click targets, or keep autoattack on their bars. The idea is that even if stormstrike is on cooldown or otherwise unuseable, pressing the key will still turn auto attack on.

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [nomod] Windfury Weapon; [mod:ctrl] Frostbrand Weapon; [mod:shift] Flametongue Weapon; [mod:alt] Earthliving Weapon
    /use [nomod] 16; [mod] 17
    This macro will cast Windfury on your mainhand when not holding any modifier keys (Shift, alt, ctrl), and will cast another weapon enchant on your offhand when you hold a modifier key. Each modifier handles a different element, shift for Flametongue, ctrl for Frostbrand, alt for Earthliving. Basically just a spacesaver / convience macro.

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [pet,mod:shift] Twin Howl; [pet] Bash; [nopet] Feral Spirit
    This will summon your ghost mutts and while they're active allow you to use their stun attack with the same button. Also handles their taunt when you hold shift.

Code:
    /cast [mod:shift,nopet] 8; [mod:shift,pet] Spirit Walk; [nomounted] Ghost Wolf
    This is my all-in-one speed boost macro. Casts my engineering Rocket Boots if I hold shift and do not have wolves out, casts Spirit Walk if I hold shift and DO have wolves out and casts Ghost wolf anytime I do not hold shift.

Code:
    /cast [mod] Earth Elemental Totem; Fire elemental Totem
    Another space-saver. Summons your Fire Elemental, or your Earth Elemental if you hold a modifier.

Deleted

Code:
    /cast [target=focus,nomod:alt,harm,nodead]&#91;] Wind Shear
    Focus interrupt macro, wind shears your focus if one exists, is harmful and not dead, otherwise casts it on target. Also holding alt key makes you cast it on your target instead focus. Must have macro for pvp, also very useful for some bosses like Faction Champions. Can use same format for focus hexing.

Code:
    /cast [combat,nomounted] [mod:alt] Ghost Wolf
    /run if IsMounted() then Dismount() return end local m if not IsFlyableArea() or (GetWintergraspWaitTime()==nil and GetZoneText()=="Wintergrasp") then m=(7) else m=(7) end CallCompanion("MOUNT",m)
    3.2 universal mount macro with Ghost Wolfing in combat/holding alt key.

Code:
    /cast Wind Shear
    /cast Earth Shock
    Dumps some threat when you Earth Shock, useful for Hodir HM, pug-ing with crappy tanks and forgeting that your Earth Shock doesent interrupt anymore :P

Code:
    #showtooltip Feral Spirit
    /cast Feral Spirit
    /stopmacro [pet]
    /qt wolves 45
    Summons puppies and creates a timer bar for their duration using Quartz (timer) addon.