The wrong +10% XP shoulders

I had the Aged Pauldrens of Five Thunders left over from a different toon and enough emblems of heroism to get either a new plate +xp shoulder or the new +xp chest. I opted for the chest since I could still use the shammy shoulders.

Here's my question. Will there be a big enough difference in dps loss from the shammy shoulders instead of something with strength on it, that the +10% xp would be outweighed?

Re: The wrong +10% XP shoulders

On low levels most of your dps comes from your abilities, and not from your gear like in raiding.
    You might feel a SLIGHT difference, but come on, +10% xp ?! That's A LOT.

basicly, you get an extra level every 10levels.

15+ Year Old Account

I would quest with caster shoulders and caster chest on my warrior or rogue just because of xp bonus... or even if you dont think it feels right, switch to shoulders and chest combo whenever you are about to deliver quest.

=o

I was under the impression that the shoulders and chest only increased kill xp. Guess I should learn to read tooltips. This is great news!

Didn't the shoulders use to only give +kill xp?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalapeños
    =o

I was under the impression that the shoulders and chest only increased kill xp. Guess I should learn to read tooltips. This is great news!

This is indeed correct, sir.

or you could wear them all the time until you have enough to swap em for the plate shoulders that way you still have 20% xp from killing and from turning in quests
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

Here's my question. Will there be a big enough difference in dps loss from the shammy shoulders instead of something with strength on it, that the +10% xp would be outweighed?

I leveled my DK with leather shoulders. I used them on my rogue twink as well as my feral druid. Yes, call me budget, but I saved 40 badges (since I have 2 pairs). I also used them because they had hit rating, which is not easy to come by when leveling.

Anyways, the bottom line is that your dps doesn't matter while you are leveling. You will level faster with 20% increased xp gain and doing 1% less dps than you would with 1% more dps and only 10% increased xp gain. Besides, when you are killing mobs for a quest, you're most likely gonna kill em in a few GCDs, therefore the dps difference would not even be noticable.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

http://quickarmory.com/heirloom.php?lvl=19

That is the list of stats on all of the items for all of the levels although its set to 19 currently.

Seriously, Polished Spaulders of Valor are just incredibly good. Its not like farming emblems are hard. Yesterday I did every single Northrend heroic in about 7 hours, and that was because I had to reform the group a few times. If you got incredibly decent dps for the full run and never had to reform I'm willing to bet you could every single Northrend in heroic in 5 hours or less. That is more than enough emblems to buy any of the heirloom items in one day. Not to mention, add in raiding and it gets an even better daily return rate.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sellest
    I would quest with caster shoulders and caster chest on my warrior or rogue just because of xp bonus... or even if you dont think it feels right, switch to shoulders and chest combo whenever you are about to deliver quest.
    I hate to say this but then you are a moron. 20% added experience is absolutely crap if its taking you twice as long to kill things. Look at it this way. You have gear that lets you kill 2 mobs in the time it takes to kill one. You use the gear that lets you kill one but gives you 20% more experience from that one as compared to gear that lets you kill 2 in that amount of time. When you are killing 2 in that time you get 100% more experience in the time spent.

Now, I don't know about you but using crap gear for 20% more experience seems pretty weak to me as compared to 100% more experience.

This is why people twink to level in PvE (get the best possible items available for their level range) when they want to level faster.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sellest
    I saw someone doing this. A DK in Hellfire with spellpower cloth shoulders. I was like ??? ??? ??? but I guess the XP justifies it. Still better to get the correct ones for your class, though, if you can. I wonder if they'd ever consider a swap so you can trade in the shoulders you no longer need for a different set...

Edit: Daez, I don't think dropping to lesser stats on one or two items (chest and/or shoulders) would make you take twice as long to kill something.

=o

Don't listen to morons. Honestly, its just not a good idea. Blizzard has said time and time again that that experience bonus only applies to killing mobs. Think of it just like rested bonus because that is exactly how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    Don't listen to morons. Honestly, its just not a good idea. Blizzard has said time and time again that that experience bonus only applies to killing mobs. Think of it just like rested bonus because that is exactly how it works.
    Really?
    Polished Breastplate of Valor
    Binds to account
    Chest Plate
    60 Armor
    Requires level 1 to 80 (80)
    Item Level 1
    Equip: Experience gained from killing monsters and completing quests increased by 10%.

I hate to say this but then you are a moron. 20% added experience is absolutely crap if its taking you twice as long to kill things. Look at it this way. You have gear that lets you kill 2 mobs in the time it takes to kill one. You use the gear that lets you kill one but gives you 20% more experience from that one as compared to gear that lets you kill 2 in that amount of time. When you are killing 2 in that time you get 100% more experience in the time spent.

Now, I don't know about you but using crap gear for 20% more experience seems pretty weak to me as compared to 100% more experience.

This is why people twink to level in PvE (get the best possible items available for their level range) when they want to level faster.
    You're not counting the 20% Xp from quests. Say its a hellfire quest, ~10k XP + 20% = 12k XP per quest, it adds up.
    In one of the harder heroics, like VH
    wait...wtf?
    <M a e l s t r o m> recruiting high end DPS and healers for ICC25 (7/9) www.guildmaelstrom.com

Aged Pauldrons of The Five Thunders
    Binds to account
    Shoulder Mail
    Item Level 1
    Equip: Experience gained from killing monsters and completing quests increased by 10%.

Mystical Vest of Elements
    Binds to account
    Chest Mail
    35 Armor
    Item Level 1

I like to call people morons when I don't know what I'm talking about too.

"Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

Look who is talking... :

Initially, the xp bonus was only for killing mobs, but I believe that in 3.1 it got changed to killing mobs as well as quests.

Getting about 24k xp per quest on my shaman with the chest and shoulders as opposed to the 22k I was getting with the shoulders only. Therefore, I'm pretty damn sure that the TT is "displayed and working as intended".
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely