Deleted

DPS dropped after switching from destroyer to edge of ruin...

first off, sorry i don't add an armory link, but i don't want to log onto my char to get my retri gear on. here is a warcrafter sandbox one:

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/147009

as it says: i could reach 2.6K DPS before patch 3.2 with titansteel destroyer. i recently got edge of ruin. i switched gems around to make up for the lost hit rating, and the problem is that i had a TRULY MASSIVE DPS loss. i went down to 1.6K DPS. i am not trolling here. really, i could get 2.6K pre patch, but only 1.6-1.7K postpatch (on a targeting dummy both), selfbuffed.

i think it is because i lost 8 hit rating (coming out at 244 rating) and about 2-300 AP, coming from 3.4K without might. note that a lot of the epic gems are not yet into warcrafter, so where you see 8 hit/8 STR, that is 10 hit, 10 STR.

i repeat, i am not trolling here. i am serious. i use might, retri aura and SoV. my FCFS is CS/HoW/DS/JoL/consecration/exo/holy wrath, like prepatch. i tried to move JoL and CS around, to between HoW and DS, but i would get more GCD issues.

Re: DPS dropped after switching from destroyer to edge of ruin...

Have you tried auto-attacking? I get like 2k dps just swinging my axe...

10+ Year Old Account

Check your axe-skill, mon. Can be that easy
    Vol'jin fanboy

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    my FCFS is CS/HoW/DS/JoL/consecration/exo/holy wrath
    read the sticky
    your priority are all wrong.. even pre patch it wasnt that

You need better gear with more hit rating so you can stop gemming everything with hit and taking a str loss.

At the very least grab yourself Staggering Legplates for the massive hit and you can go back to gemming for str. That should hold you over until you can get gear with more hit on it. You can also try enchanting with hit on your glove to help. It's definately not the axe's fault. I went from Demise to Edge of Ruin and saw a noticeable dps increase.

I'm also assuming you're talking about boss dps here and not overall dps or trash dps.

1st rotation is cs>(how)>jud>ds>cons>exo>(hw)

2nd maybe u have ur axe skill low so go smack some mobs xD

3rd with those stats & that weapon u can do at least 2.8k dps

btw i'dd consider u 2 get hit pieces to avoid 2 gem 4 hit couse i believe its a rly heavy dps loss in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Ihatepallys
    Do you just suck?
    I hate to say it but 1.6 DPS is what I pulled off in greens, dude.

You might suck.

EDIT: At level 70.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutarch

You might suck.
    ya i could do 1.6k dps on my lock in BC...ok it was 1 button but still
    Banned.

15+ Year Old Account

You might suck.
    I can get 1.5k just auto attacking with SoV up.

OP might suck.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

I was going to be all nice and pull up a nice pre-raid gear list for you. However, I remembered why I can't currently STAND to play melee. I freaking hate putting agility items on a character that by rights should benefit more from strength and almost all of your best in slot pre raid items are agility/attack power. I will be glad when cataclysm comes out.

That being said, you should look in the www.elitistjerks.com website for rotation and pre-raiding gear lists. You really should be doing insanely more damage than you are. Your rotation is wrong from what you have said. Its a priority system and its discussed on the EJ forums.

Also, the first thing that jumped out was that your two hand axes skill wasn't maxed which would be a huge dps loss.

Also, are we talking raid dps or heroic dps here. This is the problem, if you are dpsing heroics your hit cap is nowhere near what it needs to be for raiding. That means if you are already at the heroic hit cap rating (about 5% versus 8%) and you drop strength gems out for hit gems then you are going to see a loss in dps. What I think happened is your thought you needed to gem for hit so you dropped out all of your strength gems to replace them with hit and that loss of strength actually hurt your dps much more than the axe improved it.

Retribution paladins should be going strength>expertise>hit>attack power gearing wise unless they are going after ArP which should put ArP (above 200 and below soft cap with ArP proc trinket)>strength>expertise>hit>attack power. In short, never gem for hit or expertise let your gear decisions reflect it and once you get the ArP proc trinket and get over 200 ArP gem for ArP, but without those items gem strength.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    Retribution paladins should be going strength>expertise>hit>attack power gearing wise unless they are going after ArP which should put ArP (above 200 and below soft cap with ArP proc trinket)>strength>expertise>hit>attack power. In short, never gem for hit or expertise let your gear decisions reflect it and once you get the ArP proc trinket and get over 200 ArP gem for ArP, but without those items gem strength.
    Disregard this. It is utter crap. Read Ronarks Ret Pally FAQ and EJs Ret forums.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

You might suck.

EDIT: At level 70.
    Hmm. I do 1.6 dps (or better) at level one with starter items. You might suck?

Quote Originally Posted by Tremelizzer
    Hmm. I do 1.6 dps (or better) at level one with starter items. You might suck?
    I do 1.5k dps at 72 -.-;

still need to lvl up your 2h axe skill? just sayin....

Deleted

indeed, it was my 2h axe skill that was not maxed. it is at 399/400 now, which should be enough.

i also got http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37166 from a hc nexus pug where i could barely top 2K DPS and had to switch to SoR because SoCorr was too hard to stack. i regemmed a bit to STR.

also, that DPS was on a heroic training dummy (lvl 83). not in a heroic, not in a raid.

but now that my skill is maxed, i could get 5K sustained (4 minutes) and 6K burst on 4 dummies at once (the lvl 60 ones, all trinkets procced, AW) ;D. i still want to get the staggering legplates, but currently i am using the ToC hc ones, so i don't know if dropping those will drop my DPS more than the regem of my armor for STR.

and yes, i know my DPS was a bit low. for fun, i measured my DPS in prot gear and spec, and i reached 1.8K.

all these people saying the pulled the same dps in their 70s, your comments really aren't relevant. A mage friend of mine in full t6/sunwell gear pulled 3.5-4k at 70 and when he got to 80, only replacing 1 piece (maybe 2) he could barely hit 2k. As you level the benefit you get from say, 1 hit rating, doesn't give as much hit % as it did at 70

15+ Year Old Account

Gotta make sure those weapon skills are maxed. If your an achievement whore, like myself, you'll already have your unarmed and all the other weapon skill at 400 too, but if your not , it can be a simple thing overlooked.

Grats on your new gear and keep a look out for the easy things to help your DPS. Ret pally FAQ at the top of the pally forum will help you get better too.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.