Issues with DPS, would appreciate any help.

Hello!

Well i've been playing a hunter since well i started WoW. I began raiding in TBC and cleared Kara all the way up to Felmyst. In wotlk i have experianced almost all content except Algalon, and have just started the hard version on colesium... but thats beside the point.

My issues is with my dps, now i don't consider myself a bad player, but theres another hunter in the guild who is destroying me in terms of dps. This can range from a a mere hundred dps but the gap can jump to over 1000 dps at times.

Now we both use the same rotation> Kill Shot> Explosive Shot> Black Arrow> Aimed Shot> Serpent Sting.
    We're both specced the same and have similar gear

This is my armory link:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...+Co&n=Morgothe

And this is the armory of the hunter whose almost always ahead of me:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ure+Co&n=Kiero

I don't know what is causing the massive dps difference. There might be something i've completley missed, but if anyone out there has any suggestions i would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Re: Issues with DPS, would appreciate any help.

I believe the problem might be from his 2 set bonus which is making his serpent stings crit, but apart from that i can't see any major dps differences sorry

-He's got about 100 more crit rating than you do
    -You have too much hit, I'd say gear for 7 percent and ask to be with a Draenei
    -He's also a LW, so he get's the bonus enchant.

Other than that, I can't really see anything else wrong.

User Error?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    Rule #84 of WoW: Saying "Rotation" doesn't automatically make you a good player... or even a competent one.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, i'm aware my hit is a bit overcapped atm, and that naturally due to his set 2 bonus, lw and slightly higher stats he will be higher than me dps wise, but i can't see how that can account for a sometimes quite frankly huge gap.

Callsign could you please explain user error?

Quote Originally Posted by Morgothe
    Thanks for the quick responses guys, i'm aware my hit is a bit overcapped atm, and that naturally due to his set 2 bonus, lw and slightly higher stats he will be higher than me dps wise, but i can't see how that can account for a sometimes quite frankly huge gap.

Callsign could you please explain user error?
    I'll take this one Callsign... What he means is that you are not performing as well as the other hunter. 75% of the time, when someone asks "why is this other guy beating me in dps?", the answer is that he is simply a better player. He has better reaction time, he makes better decisions with his CDs, etc etc. Check stickies here and at EJ for your "rotations", in quotes because hunters are like rets with a priority system rather than a set rotation. Practice timing your shots and timing your CDs with buffs, bloodlust, etc...

Also, take a look at a recount on a fight where he beats you in dps. Find out where the gap is and figure out what you can do to close that gap.
    And sure, your son may find a women on warcraft. Just beware that she is probably whoring herself off to get mounted or partcipates in one of those secret guild orgies Pastor Jack warned us about.

Thanks for the assistance guys.

you both have nice gear, with him coming out on top a litle, however, gear only accounts for around 100 dps max.

NOW, to really help you out : what fight is it ? every fight ? stationary fights?

here are some "pro" tips that i give other huntrs on my server when they come asking me why they do such terrible dps. heck, id even invite you over to my teamspek server, but right now i am in romania, so that isnt an option.

1. if there is more than 1 mob in your designated shooting area, make sure to use multishot FIRST, then ES, BA and so on, it adds a little. for example, on kologarn, i never use aimed anymore simply because its a dps loss of around 350 for me when compared to multishot, because it hits all 3 targets.

2. if there is a boss or add with around 150k~ mana or more, try to keep viper sting up on it instead of using AotV, it really adds up nicely in 10man for as we often dont have a paladin, and when we do its mine, so yeah...

3. make ALWAYS sure to really time your shots, that means that is explosive shot is off CD by around 1sec then wait for it if you have aimed or BA on CD. serpent sting also doesnt really matter, its just a tiny little bit above SS, and thus the 3% more dmg from talents dont make up for having to delay an aimed, ES or BA by 1,5 seconds.

4. OPEN WITH EXPLOSIVE SHOT , its really important that you more or less "open" with it, meaning that you misdirect pull with aimed , BA and serpent, fire of a SS and then wham the boss with an ES ( you might try that sooner, deoending on the skill of your tanks, say pull with aimed, BA and ES, but remember to keep in mind that its sort of buggy, and somehow FD wont save you from ES-misdirected aggro..)

5. TRIGGER LNL manually (launch the frost trap onto adds or something like that, or even so that the boss walks into it as he is positioned, works like a charm).

hmmm, anything else?

idk, send me a message if that other hunter is still "owning" you and mabe i will remember more.

hope it helps, i know it sure did around 15 people

change shot rotation/priority

serpent->BA->ES->AS

serpent +3% dmg
    BA +6% dmg

you will have a ES+9% and AS+9%

if you cast Ba before serpent you dump 1 sec of gcd forn another shots that can benefits the 6% dmg bonus
    PS
    if you have to pull or MD, start with AS then serpent->BA->ES

his stats is better overall

he has tier9 2set bonus, you don't

he has LW enchant on bracers, you don't (mining, what's that about, if you wanna pull numbers??)

In short; he outgears you.

Quote Originally Posted by Losmilzo
    change shot rotation/priority

serpent->BA->ES->AS

serpent +3% dmg
    BA +6% dmg

you will have a ES+9% and AS+9%

if you cast Ba before serpent you dump 1 sec of gcd forn another shots that can benefits the 6% dmg bonus
    PS
    if you have to pull or MD, start with AS then serpent->BA->ES
    Serpent and BA should both be ahead of Aimed Shot for sure, but not necessarily ahead of Explosive Shot. I personally still find my best DPS rotation as Kill--->ES--->BA--->Serpent--->Aimed--->Steady. Depending on fight length, ES/BA/SrS may all be somewhat interchangeable, but they should all be ahead of Aimed Shot, every single time.

Elcher: Multishot should not have priority over Explosive Shot in the case of 2 mobs. Explosive easily does double the damage of Multishot. With 3 mobs up though, Multishot should have priority over Explosive. Anymore than that and you're probably going to be volleying anyway.

Have you checked to see if it had anything to do with your pet? The other night a hunter in my guild forgot to turn bite on for her wolf making her dps look like crap (Bite accounts for around 450 dps or so). And as I'm looking at your wolfs spec right now I'm noticing that you have it specced for lick your wounds and heart of the phoenix. You should spec into rabid. Rabid provides a dps boost for your pet and the talent avoidance you have to get to get rabid HUGELY increases your pets survivability (meaning your pet can withstand most AoE's where all melee have to run out or die) and thus dps.

If their pet is staying alive while yours is dying of course thats going to make a huge dps difference.

And I know having that Deadly Monarch Topaz instead of a epic gem isn't going to make too much of a difference in your dps but still it could help some. (I understand that the gems are expensive and you may just not have gotten around to replacing it yet.)

And as Callsign said, it could be user error.

Both the other hunters that I was guilded with had a "better gear score" than me. Yet I would kick their asses 95% of the time. For example on northrend beasts I was #1 on the meter the whole fight and my pet ended up getting aggro before a tank or something on phase 2 and died and I still beat the other hunters by several hundred dps. You just need to practice more. Eventually (if you are not already there) you can go through your priority without having to think about it. At least for me it seems I know when is a good time to use multi-shot and when to use aimed and just what button to press at any given time or situation. It just takes practice.
    <Decidedly Uncouth> Horde Mal'Ganis

try this for your wolfs spec

http://www.wowhead.com/?petcalc#0Mbz0ccz0hooo
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

Quote Originally Posted by Cracka_Bob
    Wrong...
    http://www.wowhead.com/?petcalc#0Md00sc00hooo

15+ Year Old Account

Pretty much unexplainable if u look at gear, and the serpent sting crit wont help over 1k dps as u mentioned hes above u.

hes just bether with movement and clicking (time from spell finished cd to click if probably o.1 longer at u and that him.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Quote Originally Posted by Vrazu
    how is that any better? 25% AP increase on 1st attack > 80% movement speed imo
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win