Thread: Rawr aggro!

Rawr aggro!

Alright heres my problem,

I'm a decently geared tank heres my armory for reference http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n&n=Chántilly
    The only problem I have is aggro! and Group pulling like in heroic ToC I had the worst time today I couldn't get all threat on the faction champions, granted i'm a relatively new tank, But, I just couldn't get aggro I need tips for group pulling and help with gaining threat. ???

Re: Rawr aggro!

Charge in, thunderclap, shockwave, then focus threat on the kill target. Just tell your dps to quit failing and assist you for the target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura
    So 10 posts and no definitive answer...

TO ELITEST JERKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    People really will find anything to complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.

well my guess the main problem would be is you have a great deal of blues...and everyone else was full epics and can just plain outdps your threat so i think its a gear issue more than a rotation issue
    Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitcher
    Charge in, thunderclap, shockwave, then focus threat on the kill target. Just tell your dps to quit failing and assist you for the target.
    Seems good enough, thanks

Make sure you have a kill order, charge, tclap, and shockwave, cleave helps when you have rage for it.

Your DPS also may be significantly more geared than you which could make a difference

For that particular fight, did you run out after the jousting first and reset them? It is very difficult to pull off the beginning of that fight without running out.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Retired@3.2
    well my guess the main problem would be is you have a great deal of blues...and everyone else was full epics and can just plain outdps your threat so i think its a gear issue more than a rotation issue
    Yeah that's what I'm trying to fix/

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft
    Make sure you have a kill order, charge, tclap, and shockwave, cleave helps when you have rage for it.

Your DPS also may be significantly more geared than you which could make a difference

For that particular fight, did you run out after the jousting first and reset them? It is very difficult to pull off the beginning of that fight without running out.
    Of course, I'm not the best geared tank so I'd be fucked otherwise

just have a friend's guild carry you through uld25 for a night
    Banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall97
    Of course, I'm not the best geared tank so I'd be fucked otherwise
    So is it AoE threat in general or mostly that fight.

Because the other issue with that fight is positioning. If you get two of the ranged ones they can be harder to control.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Retired@3.2
    just have a friend's guild carry you through uld25 for a night
    But yeah what the other comments have been. Make a kill order, charge, tclap, try to line them all up for shockwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft
    So is it AoE threat in general or mostly that fight.

Because the other issue with that fight is positioning. If you get two of the ranged ones they can be harder to control.
    Well In today's ToC it was Rogue Warrior Shaman, And It's not threat in general It's AoE threat. Plus DPS start right away and they pull right off me which is hell.

Quote Originally Posted by halmmar
    They don't have a real threat table. They will switch targets every 5 seconds even if you taunt. All you can really do on this fight is try to taunt, stun and interrupt.
    Really? Never knew that @_@

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall97
    Well In today's ToC it was Rogue Warrior Shaman, And It's not threat in general It's AoE threat. Plus DPS start right away and they pull right off me which is hell.
    Well if your DPS aren't rogues and hunters, they fail for starting too soon.

T-clap whenever you can, make sure that they are all in front of you for shockwave, and consider starting the fight with shield block up. You'll get more rage for cleaves and I believe more damage from damage shield right off the bat.
    -Louis Brandeis

The thing about them changing targets every 5 seconds isnt for H ToC 5 man, so ignore it.

What I did for threat was create a "heroic 5 man" spec. It's basically a trimmed down prot spec with things taken out of survival and avoidance and put into other places (like deep wounds) to help cause more AoE Damage. I also glyphed this particular spec with glyph of sunder armor, shockwave, and cleave. For every single pull in ToC I just charge, tc, shockwave, spam cleave, ss, dev and use tc/sw every time its off of CD. Make sure you mark at least one of them with a skull and just tell dps to kill skull first. The skull should be your main target for shield slams and the cleaves,tc,sw,dev and deep wounds help keep the rest on you. After the skull hits about 15% just taunt/concblow it and tab to the next target you want dead and start the same process again.

Just a note, you probably cant pull this spec/style of play off in blues unless your healer is bonkers.

Oh here is a link to Armory so you can see the spec:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...intime&group=2

Threat for undergeared tanks can be hard but in Heroic ToC (5 man) you have a couple of options.

- Ask for leader of the group. As the mini-bosses are coming out mark them with 1 icon each. This increases their visibility towards the end when you dismount and must pick them up. I'll be using Heroic Throw at the beginning on the caster, probably intervening someone who already got aggro on a melee, charging another one, blah blah blah. When you finally get them grouped do a shockwave to stun them and then start your aoe tanking rotation (thunderclap, cleave, tab devastate).

- Simply run out of the instance when you dismount. Probably the easiest available option. Run back in and they'll be standing there waiting to be engaged.

dps just need to learn to think. it's not just a no-brainer-button-smash-fest, unfortunately you see that quite alot. a decent dps can always pull the aggro off from a tank, it's up to them to keep their damage output in place and use simple tools to control it.

oh how i loathe those whining hunters that think i tank something they just pulled while using multishot on a single target. lul!
    "Hey, you know what's even cooler than triceratops? Every other dinosaur that ever existed."

If yu had a rogue with you he should missdirect (TotT) you, and spam FoK then you polly woulden't have a problem with threat atleast fr the first 5 secs. and after that you should be alot of threat in front of the others that it shoulden't be a problem as long as you keep a reasonable kill order and you all focuses on that.

i ___T H I N K___ that pretty much all tanks have a problem holding agro without different classing using MD's, atleast on AOE packs that seems to be a problem. So again, it might not be quite your fault alone..

5 man toc heroic 1st boss:

The threat when you come off the horses is fucked, because the lance damage generates threat, so it's likely every mob will need a separate taunt each to obtain aggro unless you managed to do the most damage in the previous phase to all of them. Generally it's best to taunt the biggest threat to the raid (rogue and warrior are annoying if you have a lot of cloth/leather people) and then try to stun to give you time to get taunt back up, likewise put vigilance on somebody who's likely to get hit at the start (like a melee) so you can just hammer taunts to pick up all 3. If you get the mage, you can taunt and use spell reflect then use spell reflect throughout the fight to keep her on you so you don't have to worry about hitting her with aoe threat while you kill the other two guys. AoE taunt doesn't work like a proper taunt but can buy you another 6 seconds and therefore the majority of a taunt cooldown to keep the party safe until you have everything under control.

^^ This. I wondered why on one run I could manage the champions no problem and then the next I couldn't seem to get threat no matter what I tried... Then a guildie explained that the threat from jousting carried over... If you look at recount after the jousting it's not uncommon to see 7k dps so if someone other than you had that kind of dps through phase one good luck getting snap aggro. Sadly, it is much easier to run out and reset them. I think Blizz should reset their aggro after the mounted phase.

Deleted

What was said above a thousand times. As all 5manners with iffy tactics and/or bugs, alot of common myths are created and in this case, the tank gets the blame most of the time.

The group needs to do next to nothing for a few seconds, except survive ofcourse, while you taunt all mobs once. Having them stunned, using AOE taunt, mocking blow, etc, to fill up the gaps between your taunts is a good idea.

The other tactic is to run out and reset them, they won't remount and just go stand at the gate with a reset aggro table.