Thread: Why so elitist?

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Why so elitist?

Disclaimer : This is going to be a some what long post and if your atention span is of 2 minutes, this post might seem overwhelming to you so stop reading now.
    This is also my opinion about certain aspects of the game and you may not agree with it, but it is still my opinion.

Here goes

Ever been kicked out from a pug or didn't get loot because your dps wasn't good enough?
    Ever got laughed at when you applied for a guild because you didn't had your gear enchanted properly?
    Ever got kicked from a raid and called a scrub because you stood in an eye beam and died even if the raid killed the boss anyway?
    People who do that are just elitists with no life right? Not really if you look at it from their perspective.

First off wow is a team game, you need 24 other people to do pretty much anything. Yet if one of those people isn't doing his job, then the 24 other people in the raid need to do a bit extra in order to cover for the person who is not doing what he is supposed to.
    You might find it wrong that you get kicked from a pug because "Your dps wasn't good enough" but you don't realise that because your dps was behind the tank basicly every one else had to do more dps to cover for you.
    Its not about people beeing elitist but its about people not liking to have an extra weight on their shoulders when they can replace that weight with another player who does his job properly and actually helps the raid.
    I also see alot of people that are upset when they are asked for an achievment before joining a pug. Personally I also think that is a bit lame as a person who never done an instance before can be quite skilled as to do it. But then again I also find it lame when a nax 10 man geared player wants to join a 25 man TOC pug.
    It is quite obvious he does not have the required gear for that instance and he won't be able to compete with 25 man geared players, yet that guy still wants to join the pug. If such people wouldn't exist then "lfm link states and ashvmhunt" would also be obsolete.

As for beeing called a scrub when you fail at something easy as to "move away from fire" I can see that guys point of view. For instance I have been a raid leader in a sunwell guild. There were bosses that required me to watch out for 5 different things at a time while keeping up a steady dps rotation in order to provide the maximum dps from my class AND on top of that raid lead at the same time. So yes I don't understand how a person can die on kologram three times in a row due to eye beams or due to moving next to the adds when he is a mele and was toled not to.
    How ever I am a calm person and wouldn't insult some one over this but I can see why other people would.

I also don't understand the "I just play for fun excuse" from people that are in hardcore raiding guilds.
    If you just play for fun that is fine, but please do it with people that are like minded and also play just for fun. Don't do it with people that play for the competition because then you will ruin their fun.

All in all you need to understand that the elitist players prefer to play with other players of his skill. Wow is a very easy game and wotlk made it even easyer so its no excuse to be a carying stone for other people wether it is in a pug, 5 mans or guilds. Because if you will become one the people who notice you aren't carying your weight are going to flame you for it

Re: Why so elitist?

Quote Originally Posted by veemon_ro
    First off wow is a team game, you need 24 other people to do pretty much anything. Yet if one of those people isn't doing his job, then the 24 other people in the raid need to do a bit extra in order to cover for the person who is not doing what he is supposed to.
    This right here. Though I will say that the game doesnt prepare players well for 5 man / raids anymore. You can easily quest to 80 using 1/4 of your abilities and simply be lost in 5 mans/raids. There should be a "Danger Room" type area thats basically a tutorial.

"I told you guys a million times, don't stand in the fire!"

Legolasxtreme dies from fire.

"..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Book
    [img height=250 width=350]http://mybroadband.co.za/photos/data/500/seal-of-approval.jpg[/img]

I totally agree with just about everything.
    Vote Pengu for president!
    "For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons."

I concur. But this isnt being "elitist". It's being anti-retarded. An elitist is the guy who posts recount after every fight in naxx10 to show how ahead his t8.5 4set is compared to someones two piece t7 set, even though the t7 guy is doing just fine.

If you don't like scrubs, just damn kick them and ignore them, no need to ruin their day. Kicking bads and lazy people is okay, but don't get all nerdraged at them. Downgrading them and laughing at them to boost your ego is not necessary.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Epar
    I concur. But this isnt being "elitist". It's being anti-retarded. An elitist is the guy who posts recount after every fight in naxx10 to show how ahead his t8.5 4set is compared to someones two piece t7 set, even though the t7 guy is doing just fine.
    No no, that's just your average e-peen stroke.

An elitist is one who is convinced you all suck before anything in the first post even happens. He's the one who calls everyone "bads" or "terribles" (atleast on our server.)

Coincidentally, the not-so-elusive Elitist is right frighteningly often.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodlusted
    If you don't like scrubs, just damn kick them and ignore them, no need to ruin their day. Kicking bads and lazy people is okay, but don't get all nerdraged at them. Downgrading them and laughing at them to boost your ego is not necessary.
    Very true. I don't think wanting a decent group without stupid people is elitist, although more and more people pick up the term to give them something to rage against when they're told to improve. But singling them out and degrading them is unnesescary, just kick them, and move along. Heroics don't mind as much of course, what one takes more than 15-20 minutes nowadays even with one or two fail dps, but raids I'm all for kicking people like that.. But not making a big deal about it.

As for the fire thing, in what 5man, heroic, raid or general world quest, has standing in the ominous clouds of fire/poison/smoke -ever- been beneficial? If people cant work out that fire is bad, then something's wrong. If its an accidental thing like 1 in 10 tries you accidentally move too slowly thats not too bad.. its an honest mistake.. its when they repeat the mistake 5 times in a row it gets to me.

The "I just play for fun" isn't an excuse either, the game is fun if you're good at it and do well.. otherwise endless death is a bit annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firen
    You do realize that this statue has 4 ears?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    We are no loner that funny racist uncle, we are the uncle that abused you as a child.

I feel that there's a difference between Elitism and wanting a good group. It's sort of functioning in shades of gray. Like...Skill > gear. It's not fair to immediately kick a stranger for having somewhat sub-standard gear, before you even know how they play. But at the same time, you have to draw the line somewhere, because let's face it: If you're trying to do 25 ToC or something wearing blues, you are going to suck. It doesn't matter how well you know your class or the fights. For another thing, Achievement linking is kind of unfair. I definitely see the point, but at the same time, it could be an alt or something. Use achieve linking if you want to, but couple it with discretion.

So basically, everyone has a different definition of what it means to be elitist. If you're good, someone somewhere will think you're elitist, and there's really nothing you can do about that. So try and remember that there's a difference between being an elitist and being a prick.

"Sorry, dude, we're requiring at least X pieces of Ulduar gear for this" (and maybe giving them a few seconds to leave on their own before kicking) is a lot better than "Wow noob get some gear lol" *Kick*

They may think you're an elitist, but at least they won't think you're an enormous douche.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyoshii
    I feel that there's a difference between Elitism and wanting a good group. It's sort of functioning in shades of gray. Like...Skill > gear. It's not fair to immediately kick a stranger for having somewhat sub-standard gear, before you even know how they play. But at the same time, you have to draw the line somewhere, because let's face it: If you're trying to do 25 ToC or something wearing blues, you are going to suck. It doesn't matter how well you know your class or the fights. For another thing, Achievement linking is kind of unfair. I definitely see the point, but at the same time, it could be an alt or something. Use achieve linking if you want to, but couple it with discretion.

So basically, everyone has a different definition of what it means to be elitist. If you're good, someone somewhere will think you're elitist, and there's really nothing you can do about that. So try and remember that there's a difference between being an elitist and being a prick.

"Sorry, dude, we're requiring at least X pieces of Ulduar gear for this" (and maybe giving them a few seconds to leave on their own before kicking) is a lot better than "Wow noob get some gear lol" *Kick*

They may think you're an elitist, but at least they won't think you're an enormous douche.
    I agree with this guy.

though the elitests, in my opinion are the ones who say they want people with ulduar gear for heroics, those are elitests.

I do agree with what you're saying but i'll devils advocate slightly on the flip side.

People that reject your guild application because you dont have the hodir exalted shoulder enchant (difference between that and the shard one is 15 crit rating for melee), ones that /w you about one missing point in your spec, and those that link their recount at you every fight are elitist.

There is a huge difference between the hardcore players, those that want to be seen as hardcore but arent, the regular playing population, and the totally clueless. The first of those can justify anything they want. As far as I'm concerned, they can reject you from their guild. When in Rome... etc.

People that insist on highest level gear/enchants/specs but cant push out the damage to match that gear can sit and swivel. Talk the talk but cant walk the walk.

The regular playing population shouldnt be expected to have top notch everything. exalted hodir to someone that dinged 80 within the last month is hard to get, especially since its 20 days of dailies (at least) to get 15 crit rating.

The totally clueless never cease to amaze me. I've tried helping them, but they just dont get it. Remember them, avoid them and move on. Great examples include: A DK with abyssal rune, a hunter with a lvl 68 blue bow (said he never found a better one) and those that insist their season 4 pvp gear is fine for level 80 pve.

The way i see it, those that have their gear gemmed and enchanted, maybe not to the max, but have all slots filled with something reasonable, indicate they take their character seriously, and are more likely to be useful in a raid. I dont reject people for having sub optimal gear,but those that take the piss arent welcome in my raids.

Wow...just be honest and admit that you're an elitist. Trying to cover it up as normal is really..well not elitist but lame. Being an elitist isn't something bad from the elitist point of view. If you don't want to be called elitist because you have a problem with that don't kick or pick on bad players but help them improve (everyone who pugs and says he is elitist is only pretending to be an elitist while he is nothing but a bad person)
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.

I couldn't agree more with this post. But yet you can't judge people on their gear all the time, yes most of the players who whisper you for Uld 25 pug and ran 5 man ToC and have badge gear are probably not your best choice to take, but yet I've seen those players pull off more dps than I ever expected. I don't raid lead, I could but I don't, and I meet a lot of people who fail at the easiest stuff ever yet it has a big effect on the raid. I rage hard when people do stupid shit but I keep it to myself. If they mess up once, fine, if they do it again, I get pissed.

And yea elitists are those who show off their DPS/HPS, and ask for super geared players for something that takes no more than heroics or Naxx at most :P

I got called an elitist the other day because I got pissed that someone with probably 100 gear points on me is doing half of my dps in 25 man TotC when they're the same class. They only did 80 dps above the tank and still manage to keep getting new loot.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by veemon_ro
    I also don't understand the "I just play for fun excuse" from people that are in hardcore raiding guilds.
    If you just play for fun that is fine, but please do it with people that are like minded and also play just for fun. Don't do it with people that play for the competition because then you will ruin their fun.

All in all you need to understand that the elitist players prefer to play with other players of his skill. Wow is a very easy game and wotlk made it even easyer so its no excuse to be a carying stone for other people wether it is in a pug, 5 mans or guilds. Because if you will become one the people who notice you aren't carying your weight are going to flame you for it
    If you're playing a video game for any reason other than fun or being paid to play it, you're doing it wrong. If you're playing wow for competition (ie Epeen waggling between guilds) then you should probably know it's not even a fraction as exciting as real competition (Read: Not in a video game)

Second, just because someone is an elitist dick it doesn't mean that they're good. Most of the "OMG LINK ACHIEVEMENTS" people that I've seen have actually been quite horrible at the game and got carried through the runs by much much better people that had much better attitudes.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Agreed... but when it's done in sensibly and logically, it's very understandable. For example, you can't join this guild as you don't deal this much damage, which is required for the guild to progress and progess is this guild's main goal. Same with PuG's and such. It's still not very nice, but it "must" to be done. Names calling is totally unnecessary. It can all be dealt with in respectful and mature fashion, but WoW community has tendency to do it the other way.

"I just play for fun" really means "I just play for gear - please don't expect me to make any effort except when it comes to rolling"

Well 2 days ago i leaded a raid to VoA, we kept failing because every1 dies, mostly from fire, DPS was okay, about 15sec ahead of enrage timer) So then i inspected a pall who was healing OT, His gear was greens, blues and Deadly Gladiator's gear, ontop of that, he was the Prot/Holy Arena Spec.... i mean seriously WTF? Then i inspected a DPS, same, PvP spec, really sucky gear i kicked them and got better people. I don't usually kick people for low DPS/sucky gear as long as the job was duable. But i mean seriourly, why go to a new boss who drops 2 tiers ahead of you, fail at what you are suppose to do and expect to not be kicked?

Hello, mr obvious >.<

All these comments about "Just politely remove the person and go on about your business" make me wonder how many times you people have even dealt with this situation.

Usually, the retard you just had to remove is going to throw a temper tantrum, preventing any polite discourse.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.