Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Priests OOM in raids too fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Heywut
    Yea but they arnt the best class for raid healing or MT healing, they only give the buff, imo the healing loss just for that buff isnt worth it when you can use another class who heals more effectivley.
    You can't see what disc does because Recount doesn't register it, brainiac. Over 60% of the discs' "heling" comes from shields which aren't registered as healing.
    Scrubs are meant to be scrubs apparently.

Yea but they arnt the best class for raid healing or MT healing, they only give the buff, imo the healing loss just for that buff isnt worth it when you can use another class who heals more effectivley.
    The healing loss is made up by all of the damage they mitigate through shielding, have you ever actually raided with a disc priest?

Discipline is awesome for both pvp and pve, they provide damage reduction and mitigation for anyone being attacked. Not to mention Mitigation for the tank constantly.

Our maintank healingteam is pally+disc priest with addition of possible HoTs or riptides from raid healers if they have free gcds and example know that tank will take heavy damage on some certain part of the fight...

and ok, only healers this far that ive seen go nearly oom are priests and shamans, but thats on very healing intensive fights, thats what mana regen cds are for... hymn, innervate, manatide etcetc... better learn to use them properly instead of first dry yourself up and then maybe think of using them... especially hymn and manatide are awesome since they provide mana regen for other people too...
    An opinion is a subjective statement or thought about an issue or topic, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts. An opinion may be supported by an argument, although people may draw opposing opinions from the same set of facts. Opinions rarely change without new arguments being presented. However, it can be reasoned that one opinion is better supported by the facts than another by analysing the supporting arguments.

An opinion may be the result of a person's perspective, understanding, particular feelings, beliefs, and desires. In casual use, the term opinion may refer to unsubstantiated information, in contrast to knowledge and fact-based beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dentoid
    please teach me then
    There are a few things to keep in mind.

1) Get a mana regen trinket.

Two if you're really struggling, I can not recommend the Spark of Hope enough for a Holy Priest, our class is fundamentally broken without it imo but then again other priests who do just fine without any regen trinket or gear. It's mostly a playstyle thing. If you heal like a paladin, you will run oom regardless, but a good trinket will redeem this greatly.

Anyway, check the stickied thread on the subject on this forum for details.

2) Gear

Gearing up as a holypriest is easy. Gear for regen until you can spam cheap heals (FHeal, Renew, ProM, PW:S, CoH) forever. Then gear haste until you can't. Repeat.

For a holy priest, gearing for regen means getting int and spirit. Lots of int and spirit. Int is the best regen stat, spirit isn't half bad either and also gives some spellpower. Aim for ~25-30% crit, and you will trigger Holy conc enough to make your spirit useful as well, more is mostly redundant. At ~T8 levels, you should be able to spam lightweight heals infinitely as long as you use your cooldowns.

More haste means more power, but it must be used responsibly. I can easily consume 3000 MP5 if I go all out, but no amount of gear, buffs or abilities can cover that consumption. As a holypriest, you can always run yourself dry if you try or have to. The trick is to avoid that

Head metageM: get the one with a proc chance for mana returns. It's awesome.
    If you're a tailor, get the cloak enchant giving regen.

3) Playstyle

Spamming Prayer of Healing is horribly mana-inefficient, and it's currently healing for less than a Chain Heal. Avoid it if you can use something else, but don't be afraid to use it if it will match as a healing pattern. But if you find that you cast PoH more than 30% of the time, you are doing something wrong. Or the raid is taking way way way too much damage.

Mostly, learn to hold back.

4) Use your regen abilities.

They are meant to be used! In a long fight, you can get off 2 shadowfiends if you use your first early on. If you are a blood elf, use Arcane Torrent on every cooldown. Keep a manapotion and a dark rune ready just in case; i personally try to keep these as backup measures but sometimes they gotta be used. Don't be afraid to do so.

Eat and Flask up. This goes without saying. Mana regen flask is usually the best choice for a holypriest. You can get some food with spirit on it, but don't bother.

Use combinations!

Shadowfiend + Hymn of Hope is an awesome combo; the shadowfiend gives you 20% more regen. Just get the +20% mana buff, then stop channelling if you're in a tight spot.

Inner Focus + Divine Hymn is also an awesome combo. While healing for less than your regular output, this usually gives you 8-9 seconds of regen time, which will help a LOT.

Get an innervate. Every other class in the game will have enough regen, so they are yours for the taking.

Be in a party with a restoshammy. Manatide rocks.

Don't raid without replenishment. It's still a very large source of regen.

Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by KhameleonN
    I got a good lol out of this thread
    This, there are so many missinformed people in the priest threads... If you want to ask questions about ooming,

ARMORY

or else your never going to know what you did wrong. 9/10 the poster has the wrong gear or shitty gear, or wrong talents.
    When people say "pls" just because its shorter then "please", I feel totally justified to say "No" just because its shorter then "Yes".

well... i'll supose you're gear is good enough for whatever you're trying to heal(please post your armory link for more precise anwers)
    few pointers if you really have mana issues
    learn about your spells, know which are more efficient than others (i think shielding as a priest is a bad idea mana wise)
    dont spam heal unless you're expecting tanks getting nuked soon
    try benefiting from 5 second rule (if you dont know what it is read it up)
    spells that dont cost mana won't trigger 5sr, so if you can spare 2-3 seconds combined with inner focus you'll get some mana for sure
    use your shadowfiend often but make sure you'll get full benefit from it
    if you still have problems you have to get more spirit...
    but if you get oom so soon you probably have bad talent build or you just use your spells wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPower
    This, there are so many missinformed people in the priest threads... If you want to ask questions about ooming,

ARMORY

or else your never going to know what you did wrong. 9/10 the poster has the wrong gear or shitty gear, or wrong talents.
    Or you read his first post and see he said he didn't play a priest -.-

Wow, total fail for 9:30 (CST) in the morning. Nevermind the fact they negate damage and provide a nice, sharp burst in healing when it's needed, but they also bring necessary CDs such as Pain Suppression, Power Infusion and the stacking Renewed Hope. Thank you sir, as the stench of failure emanating from your posts has caused me to finally become fully awake.

Just use the mana cd's (+pot) and you will never go oom.

Got 408mp5 while casting unbuffed as holy

if its noticeable in such a way as the OP says it is i'd put it down to some priests not paying enough attention to regen in their itemization and talents and instead stacking to much spellpower (and also perhaps haste) and in an effort to top healing meters.

gawd i hate healing meters . . .

stat balancing is key and Priests key weakness in all their specs has always been mana regen.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

You're probably rollin with bad priests.

Regen was a serious problem for priests pre-nax/early naxx. . . but once you get past that point in gear progression you shouldn't be going oom quickly if you play the class right.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Holy priests grow old and oom.... a disc priest lasts forever.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

World of Logs parses take into account your shields. Every single WoL parse i've ever looked at from my guild's raids shows me at the most healing done and most HPS counting my PWS and divine aegis.

Shut up about disc.

I don't think I've ever gone oom during a fight I barely touch fiend or hymn during most fights I think I only really need them healing hard modes. God knows the last time I touch a mana potion lol. :-\

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Well its true about Disc, healing wise all other healers out-do them all they give is the +healing buff on the target.
    Stop looking at healing meters and thinking they're actually worth something.

Claiming that Disc priests suck in PvE must be the biggest joke I've heard in a good while, it's like saying "IMHO Rogue DPS suck in PvE"

Quote Originally Posted by Fateful
    I don't think I've ever gone oom during a fight I barely touch fiend or hymn during most fights I think I only really need them healing hard modes. God knows the last time I touch a mana potion lol. :-\
    If I use a mana potion, it's either an accident or the fight is going too long because the DPS is low and I often use Hymn to help the other healers. Mana regen is easy, easy, easy to get as a Holy priest.

A well-played Disc priest is a thing of beauty, I will agree with that. I play Holy for the large amount of direct healing choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Exera
    Stop looking at healing meters and thinking they're actually worth something.

Claiming that Disc priests suck in PvE must be the biggest joke I've heard in a good while, it's like saying "IMHO Rogue DPS suck in PvE"
    It's impressive when you see a Discs actual contribution. I've been using Worldoflogs.com and it actually shows more reasonable numbers for Disc priests. So far, every time a Disc Priest was in a raid with us, he smoked everyone on "healing done". I know meters don't mean much for healing, but its nice to get a good idea of whats going on, and recount doesn't do that as well as I'd like for healing.

Quote Originally Posted by albuli77
    It's impressive when you see a Discs actual contribution. I've been using Worldoflogs.com and it actually shows more reasonable numbers for Disc priests. So far, every time a Disc Priest was in a raid with us, he smoked everyone on "healing done". I know meters don't mean much for healing, but its nice to get a good idea of whats going on, and recount doesn't do that as well as I'd like for healing.
    Yeah combine damage prevented by absorbs with their healing done and you'll probably shut your mouth quick about their healing meters from lolrecount.

Quote Originally Posted by shags the penguin
    disc priests are great, they reduce inc damage by a lot.... making it easier to heal the target, disc priests are by far closest to pallys in single target and a lot of fights 1 MT healer isn't enough... you suggesting because YOU cant see what there really doing on healing meters they are worthless, there far ahead of all but pallys in healing tanks.
    I'd say Discipline is on par with a Paladin, not very close behind. The thing is, though, that Pallies and Disc Priests have amazing synergy when tank healing such that I'd much rather have a Pally/Disc combo on the MT than two of anything else. Why? The paladin will have steady and consistent throughput, while the Discipline Priest can focus more on mitigation and burst healing. Plain and simple, no no one has anything that can beat the PWS->Penance->FH/GH combo. Beyond that, Discipline getting out PoM, PWS, and the occassional PoH on the raid is sweet in a lot of encounters. So while they may not have the pure throughput on a tank that a Paladin does, the burst and damage mitigation makes up for it, and being able to counter predictable raid damage gives them some nice utility.

holy took a slight mana nerf most people seem to refuse to change from 23Sp gems, Sp enchants, Sp trinkets and flasks.
    And yes, Holy has worse regen and depends on it more than any other class. But you know what, I like it that way. If I had no risk of going OOM, why shouldn't I just be spamming PoH? There's no way to ever completely remove the OOM problem, which is precisely what makes Holy so enjoyable to me because it's not necessarily about maximizing HPS, but choosing the appropriate spells and knowing when to go all out and when to hold back. It's sweet to know that, if the crap hits the fan, I often have the tools to save a tank or counter some massive raid damage when other classes do not. Finally, it also means that Holy Priests necessarily scale very well with gear; if I can always make use of more regen and more throughput when other healers may only need the latter, each gear upgrade means just that much more and I can feel it.