Is Fraps the best?

I'd like to record some WoW playing and I'm just wondering what is the best app to use. I know Fraps is the most common, just wondering if it's the best for game recording or should I get something else like Camtasia?

Re: Is Fraps the best?

I have question too... what is the best thing for recording but FREE!!! ?:P

Fraps is great and its the easiest one to use and it gives good quality BUT a 40 sec video can be 3 GB and you need something like sony vegas that can compress it.

Not just any spartan; John Halo Spartan.

10+ Year Old Account

i think fraps is the best free program(legally that is)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

-huangzhong9

fraps is huge but i never compressed anything. final cut will compress your videos in the rendering process.

[Sig snipped]

Quote Originally Posted by Grakos
    Fraps is great and its the easiest one to use and it gives good quality BUT a 40 sec video can be 3 GB and you need something like sony vegas that can compress it.
    or windows movie maker....
    hahaha. no.

fraps is the best of the best. world first in africa AND the united states of the americas.
    the ensidia ban was clever marketing

oh noes, someone is using engineering

Thing about Fraps is that the free version keeps the annoying watermark and has a 30-second recording limit. While I guess you can spam the 'record movie' button every 30 seconds and just edit it together, I'm sure it's annoying as hell.

Come to think of it, I don't know any screen recorders that are free.

I personally use the recorder "wegame"
    http://www.wegame.com it records/compresses on the fly without any lag what so ever for me.
    Rather ideal tbh

Xfire can record video now too (idk how well it performs under high gfx stress like a 25+ raid with a lot of casters, but it can do it lol) and it can also stream live video from ingame.
    We are the internet we dont care about you. We just want to poke you with a pointy stick
    Quote Originally Posted by sulfuric View Post
    Furthermore to hate gearscore for 'denying you access to raids' is like hating your credit score for denying you access to a loan.

Jeah I was also wondering what Program to use to record some stuff, since I live in Europe I don't have easy acess to a crdit card so I need a free Program to Record some game fotage, dont care about water mark or anything just need decent quality

And sorry for Abusing this thread 8)
    Remeber Kid‘s: As long as people have same delusion they are not crazy, they're are a „religion“.

A macbook pro

Deleted

Don't use it myself but X-Fire can record fairly well without any of the time limites or watermarks included in any of the other recorders.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Flying_Dog
    I have question too... what is the best thing for recording but FREE!!! ?:P
    Downloading Fraps from a torrent website... be carefull so you dont pass your downlaod limit or you will pay for it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Spctro
    Downloading Fraps from a torrent website... be carefull so you dont pass your downlaod limit or you will pay for it anyway
    But that's illegal!

*Goes back to spamming his key gen for Half Life *

The problem is not the best recording quality. All recorders have a codec that can actually be used to do high definition video. It's all about the compression tools that the recorder has to offer. C ertain video recorders automatically compress the video. This can be a good thing for space, but typicall bad for recording. Why? When you goto render your final product, it has to try and render and compress the video that has already been compressed. And you then have compression loss. keep in mind thats not an actual term, it's just the best way i can describe it.

I prefer fraps because the video content you take is raw. You can compress it when you render it into any form you like. Testing with some of the software out there I came up with a couple results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NNg26wWBuY

Recorded with gamecam and compiled with windows movie maker, yes you can make high def videos with windows movie maker. I used windows movie maker to prove my point, it unfortunantly has too little ability to do the things you want to do with it. Compared to sony vegas pro that allows you to cut and shape your videos the way you want them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyI7A4J9hJo

This video was done with fraps so I had no compression on the video and allowed me to work with raw footage. These videos are not complete I didnt do anything fancy with them besides adding music. i didn't cut them or prune them to fit properly. Also done with windows movie maker with high deffinition settings. You'll notice the video is much more crisp and clear with less compression loss at the same settings.

So in my personal opinion fraps is the best to use if you have the space for it. The raw footage gives you much more to work with and gives you the option to have less compression loss resulting in a crisp clean picture.

And I really wish mmo-champion would fix this crap where the message box bounces up and down as you type resulting in not seeing what you type. Then you have to scroll down and check it. Fix this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumurak
    And I really wish mmo-champion would fix this crap where the message box bounces up and down as you type resulting in not seeing what you type. Then you have to scroll down and check it. Fix this crap.
    Oh good, glad to hear other people have it, kinda... I thought my computer just liked buttfucking me.