Thread: Silences in PvP

Silences in PvP

Hey all. I thought for sure I read somewhere a while back (3.1 maybe) that stuns and silences where sharing DR in PvP. From what I can tell stuns do not and as of last night I know silences don't either.

I was playing 3v3 on my Druid and I got (a) Spell Locked, (b) Counterspelled & (c) Wind Sheared all in a row. Needless to say I died as one of my teammates was Hexed and the other was Feared.

Now before you all jump on me I'm not qqing about losing, that was just a very well played setup on their part and a poorly played approach from us to get into that. But isn't is silly that someone can be stunned/silenced for so long?

Maybe I'm in the minority here but since a caster that is chain silenced is pretty much stunned I find that... sucky haha.

Was I wrong about the patch notes saying stuns/silences were on DR? Considering that team in 3s and chain silences aren't usually that long do you think stuns/silences in PvP should share DR?

Just looking for some info and opinions. Thanks! Oh and also I know many healers have a stun/silence duration reduction ability or talent but since Druids are all about HoTs we don't have one (since we can "heal" while under those CC mechanics). Maybe that would've made the difference though I think not.

Re: Silences in PvP

Silences are on a DR as are stuns. But they are separate DR's You can be silenced by a DK for 6 seconds and the stunned by a Paladin for another 6 but the next silence will be half time as well as the next stun within the DR CD.

Edit- Interrupts have no DR and you cannot become immune to them unless you have a paladin aura mastery.

Wind Shear, Pummel, Kick, Counterspell(the basic effect not the talented silence) have no DR for the ammount of times they can be used on a single target.

Quote Originally Posted by lejeuneking
    Silences are on a DR as are stuns. But they are separate DR's You can be silenced by a DK for 6 seconds and the stunned by a Paladin for another 6 but the next silence will be half time as well as the next stun within the DR CD.

Edit- Interrupts have no DR and you cannot become immune to them unless you have a paladin aura mastery.

Wind Shear, Pummel, Kick, Counterspell(the basic effect not the talented silence) have no DR for the ammount of times they can be used on a single target.
    Yucky and gross but thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkis2001
    Yucky and gross but thanks for the clarification!
    For the full DR category list see http://www.wowwiki.com/DR

Quote Originally Posted by lejeuneking

Mage also can be immune by having www.wowhead.com/?spell=54749

Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): All Silence spells now have diminishing returns. This includes: Arcane Torrent, Garrote silence effect, Improved Counterspell effect, Improved Kick effect, Silence, Gag Order, Silencing Shot, Spell Lock, and Strangulate.

Taken from: http://www.wowwiki.com/DR

So these are supposed to be on DR. Maybe the Spell Lock --> Counterspell did suffer DR the other night and then Wind Shear did not but just seemed to extend the chain for what felt like a minute haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkis2001
    Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): All Silence spells now have diminishing returns. This includes: Arcane Torrent, Garrote silence effect, Improved Counterspell effect, Improved Kick effect, Silence, Gag Order, Silencing Shot, Spell Lock, and Strangulate.

Taken from: http://www.wowwiki.com/DR

So these are supposed to be on DR. Maybe the Spell Lock --> Counterspell did suffer DR the other night and then Wind Shear did not but just seemed to extend the chain for what felt like a minute haha.
    It is IMPROVED counterspell effect (which is a silence). Not counterspell.