Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Aion copy of WoW? my thoughts

Aion has a lot of thing's that WoW don't but it should have, like Armor and Character customatization( I know I got that wrong). I reccomend you watch Swiftys reviwes of Aion at youtube. And see for yourself.
    I registered on MMO-Champion and all I got was this lousy signature.

I'm a cynic. Deal with it!

If Aion does not have mechanics that make you lose control of your character, then they deserve to win! Honestly IMO that's the most idiotic design feature in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by underdogba
    If Aion does not have mechanics that make you lose control of your character, then they deserve to win! Honestly IMO that's the most idiotic design feature in WoW.
    Do you mean like stuns and fears?

I do believe there are some stun effects in Aion, but I can't be 100% sure. I only played 2 CB weekends and made it to 14.
    I didn't hit you...I simply high-fived your face.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Miralock
    Their create character customization is awesome.

I wish wow would impliement something similar.
    Yea it's mental. Took me ages to create a character on the OB because of the amount of choices xD

But yea, it has similarities, but haven't all MMOs. I really enjoy WoW and I really enjoyed the Aion Beta, if you're interested in playing a new game, I'd say try it out.
    Was really enjoying the Chains on spells and whatnot. Only managed to level a Spiritmaster and Chanter and really enjoyed both.

Thanks for the help I just Pre-Ordered from gamestop.

Cant wait to log in.

Simpsons did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burner
    Thanks for the help I just Pre-Ordered from gamestop.

Cant wait to log in.
    Have fun downloading the beta. And I hope gameguard doesn't cause you any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiti
    Yea it's mental. Took me ages to create a character on the OB because of the amount of choices xD

But yea, it has similarities, but haven't all MMOs. I really enjoy WoW and I really enjoyed the Aion Beta, if you're interested in playing a new game, I'd say try it out.
    Was really enjoying the Chains on spells and whatnot. Only managed to level a Spiritmaster and Chanter and really enjoyed both.
    I didn't really spend too much time on creation cause I knew they would be gone come open beta, or live.

I managed to get a cleric to 14, spiritmaster to 10, and a hand full of other to just see what the different classes/specializations were like.

I've played Aion beta up to the point I wanted to and here are my thoughts thus far...

Aion is beautiful: Absolutely a great looking game, from textures on the ground to players and npcs and abilities.. the game is just stunning

Aion is wow: If its not broke don't fix it.. they didn't. There are minor things that make Aion different. One which many mmoRPG fans will like is that there is actually a RPG part to the game. There is a main story line which you have to follow and it does have a certain ending for your specific character. In that element of the game it might be a little better than WoW. there are some cool cut scenes and quests that teleport you to the way you were previously in life, and it all amounts to a wonderful storyline to go along with the game.

Professions: Aion gives you basic gathering professions from the start, you don't just have to pick two.. I don't like the system its monotonous and tedious, but some people will like to have these base gathering skills from the start.

Classes: You don't make a "rogue"... you make a scout and then choose the way you want to go at level 10 (the game starts at level 10). You decide between mage and warlock or warrior/warrior(2).. ect ect at level 10.. Thats cool, I do like the specialization at level 10, keeps the game interesting.

Casting: If you move you stop casting... I mean if you turn your character without moving in any direction you stop casting.. I needed to make a note of this cause it pisses me off.

Game play: You can't use a bad computer and play this game.. Its too visually draining on a bad computer, you'd have to turn everything down and then you couldn't appreciate it.

WoW: You play wow cause its the first, and still the best. Aion is a bit more complicated, and doesn't have the exact same end game PVP and PVE aspects that WoW has. I don't think the average WoW player will fall in love with this game. The average Guild wars... ect ect player will fall in love with this game. Wow just does everything really well, and thats why we all enjoy it so much.

The reason I can say Aion is wow is because it is.. but its not for every wow player. Wow is more of an idea as opposed to a game. It's the whole community, classes quest system, pvp, gear... everything that lets people do what they want to do, and do it how they want to. I won't play Aion, and I will stick to WoW. Cataclysm will be a great expansion, and it is what I have wanted to come back for so many years now.
    I wouldn't

If you like rng-stuns, mass-gank, tank n'spank, annoying voices, stupid camera, lackluster "unique" thing (wings), 1 tank/heal class, glass cannons, weird lore, rng-interrupts, grind-a-lot, un-unique characters, best gear available from professions, time = improvements, built-in quest helper, small zones, few quests, WG-style for almost all PvE dungeons and economy flaws.

Positive things? Titles gives stats

Yes I played one closed beta event, and I could most likely list a lot more things that are positive, but WoW already have those.

Truthfully I played through the entire open bet and was amazed by how much fun I had leveling ocmpared to wow. it may just be me but I am personally going to switch to Aion once launch comes. well lets say headstart..

Any word on endgame? I havent seen much about it anywhere.

Aion is a fun game and the best wow competitor ive played but its not a wow killer.
    ill play it off and on when i need a break from wow but there are just to many flaws for this game to take over, first of all it gets really grindy after lvl 12 and most people are gonna quit around that time, personally that doesnt bother me but its gonna turn alot of people off.

also ncsofts games have a really bad habbit of having really bad endgame, and when you hit max level all you do is basically grinde money to craft stuff. i dont know if aion is going to be like this but ncsoft doesnt have a good track record in this department.
    /b/ecause none of us are as cruel as all of us.

Yesterday I bought Age of Conan. I was hanging out at Best Buy drooling at the Razer Naga they had for you to feel and move around and see the lights, I wanted to steal it, but I also saw Age of Conan for just fifteen bucks. That's not too much, and I have an entire eight foot tall by four foot wide bookshelf with Conan books -.-, so I picked it up. I've enjoyed the game, it's far from WoW, but it was worth the money.

Paying 50 dollars for a game I might not like? No, I'll either see how fast people can put it on The Pirate Bay (likely never, considering it will require an account only available from the Aion website), or (legally) wait for a price reduction.

Deleted

There are way too many posts about this comparison. I've played Aion: It's ok, lacking somewhat, played a Ranger for a while in the Closed Beta. I won't quit WoW for it, but I'm sick of people saying it's a copy. Most games copy elements from other games, it's how it works. No different for an MMO. The thing that probably will be better though is the customer service.

10+ Year Old Account

Main reason why I play Guild Wars not WoW : Better gear = better looking, not better stats or what. You look on player that have top gear, super imba title and you can say : Man, he pwns. In WoW (as we know) things are pretty much different.

On Topic : I managed to play at least trials of most MMOs out there and i will try Aion as well; it has nice graphics, combo system is interesting etc. AND you cant compare classes, each mmo has its unique classes even though they may look similiar. Aion is not copy of WoW for me, it is another fantasy based mmo-rpg and so it will have some aspects that wow has too.

(Sorry for grammar)

Deleted

One thing for you to notice, WoW is already now copying from Aion ! Like in Cataclysm there will be a feature which allows you to change the stats of one item to another, just for the looks. Aion already has that. And was 1 important one too but I can't remember it now, will post later

My english is terrible, I know, finnish lad inside the machine.

Me and a friend had the chance to play the game a few days ago, during the last day of the beta. We didn't play much, but enough to judge the game ourselves.
    So, i can say that were both excited, just like when we started WoW a few years ago. The game is much better than i imagined!
    We wanted to try the dark side this time, so we made Asmodeans. I chose a Warrior, and he chose a Scout. First, the game took us at the character creation scren.
    You can make your character look just the way you like. You can make him short, tall, thin,fat, muscular, huge etc. and change every part of his body. You're never gonna see 2 same chars in this game.
    You can also change his skin and eyes colour, haicuts, beards, add piercings, scars, tattoos, and change every part of the face.
    When you finish, you can check what you created in starting gear, underwear (!) and end-game gear. What we liked about the Asmodeans, is the fact that when they fight, their eyes glow red.
    After we created our characters, it was time to see the actual game. We were amazed by how beautiful and colourful the world is. Also, you can see every detail in the players' faces. And man, i've never seen armor looking so good.
    It seems that the guys in NCSoft really put effort in creating spectacular looking armor, with great details. Even the Scouts in leather look so mean. Even the starting gear looks good.
    We visited a lake in the starting area, and the water reflected the surroundings - that was the best place we saw in the game.
    The music has an action feel in it, being a mixture of electronic and rock. It's purpose is to boost your adrenaline, instead of being medieval. Depends on your taste, but we liked the music.
    But what really matters in a game, is gameplay.
    The developers did the right thing. They took the basic elements from the best MMO out there(WoW), and added some very smart ideas from their own.
    So, you'll know what to do when you start the game. The buttons are the same as WoW, and you'll search for the NPC to get a quest.
    What i like in this game, is that it doesn't use addons. But you don't need them, because you can track every quest on your map, and you'll always know where to go next. You can also track elite mobs, which throw better items.
    The mobs' tooltips, also tell you what rank the mob is. So, lvl 5 veternas are more hard than lvl 5 normal mobs. Also, you can see each mob's aggro radius in the radar, so thaat you don't accidentally pull an X number of mobs.

Now, i'll explain the combat system. First, the way you move affects your stats. So, for effective tanking, one should move backwards, which boosts your block and defence, but lowers your attack.
    In PVP, it's smart to strafe, which raises your evasion. Thing is, that battles are not static. You can stand of course in one place and fight, but if you move you'll be pro.
    Secondly, the game uses a combo system. Here is how it works: Let's say that you can choose between special moves A, B or C. Let's say that you choose to start with move A. When you do move A, youn get 3 more options, to follow your attack with the move D, E or F.
    If you chose to start with move B, you would get the option of moves G, H, I, and if you started with move C you'd get different moves as follow ups. Depending on what you choose next, you then get the option of other moves, and so on.
    So, as a gladiator, you can juggle an enemy on the air, then make your char jump and hit him fiercly while he's up there. He will drop on ground. While he is laying on the ground, you jump on him and stab him in his chest.
    With my Warrior, i started fights with a special attack, that did 50 damage. When i landed the first blow, 2 icons would appear next to my player, representing the moves i could choose to do next. I could choose between another special move which did a fair amount of damage, or a move called Rage, which boosted my Warrior's stats.
    I'll now explain a typical Scout duel, at lvl 5. The Scout enters stealth, and sneaks behind his opponent, resulting in a backstab. He then opens a move called evasion, which not only boosts the evasion, but also helps the Scout avoid movement impairing effects, like Roots. Then the Scout uses his other special attack, and continues to hit.
    If Evasion procs (and it will), the Scout has the chance to counterattack by pressing the appropriate button. Works like the Warrior example. Sometimes, the Scout's counterattack, stuns the opponent. So, if he gets stunned, the Scout moves again behind him, and gives him one more backstab.
    Now imagine this combo system, while fighting in the air - first time a 3D air battle in an MMO.
    While i was fighting the mobs, i got a drop called Manastone. With these stones, you can enchant every piece of your gear. And they drop often. So, i enchanted my chest with +20 HP, and later, my dagger with +4 critical strike. Sometimes, you also get some items called soul shards or something like that. By equipping them in your weapon, you do added damage, but they are consumables.
    So, you must save them for the really important fights. You can also gather things, like herbs. It's actually fun. Each time you try to gather, 2 bars appear, beginning to fill. The first bar is for success, and the other for fail. If the first bar fills, you succeed in harvesting the herb. If the second fills, you fail.
    I also have to mention, that there are 6 professions, and you can have all of them at the same time. But, you can be master, in only 2 of them, making better items. Sometimes, when you make let's say a weapon, you get a weapon with the same name, but with much better stats - if u get lucky.
    The developers saw other MMOs flaws, and corrected them. For example, you can't talk until level 5. This is, to prevent the level one guy from spamming: Gold for sale, visit X.com.
    We didn't get the chance to explore more the game, but imagine the raids, and the nice PVP system. You don't only fight the opposite faction, but also the server controlled faction, called Balaur. These guys drop from their flying ships, and randomly raid both factions. They may also appear between an Elyos - Amsodean battle, resulting in total mayhem.
    There are fortress sieges, with the faction that controls the fortresses gaining bonuses, random rifts that teleport each faction in the other faction's teritory resulting in huge Raids, and the good old ranked woW pvp system. Oh and there is no resilience here. So, you can choose to PVE, to PVP, or to do both, without needing 2 different gear sets.
    I forgot to mention that you can further customize your character with stigma stones. So, you can add a fireball attack in your Warrior, or a heal in your Scout. can't find a healer for your party? No problem! Just equip a heal stigma stone, and heal the party yourself. This results in infinite char customization.
    I can't wait until 20 Sept.
    Soz for the wall of text :P
    http://www.sportsplaying.com
    Soccer news and games

Quote Originally Posted by Nemamiah
    Soz for the wall of text :P
    Nem?! I missed beta, even though I pre-ordered. Didn't read your entire wall, but you already told me enough to sell me on it awhile ago. Maybe I'll see you over there instead of lazing around in Dal on our ravens. :P

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

Deleted

I always thought the Asmodean red eye glow was a bit cheesy, and they seem to be a cross between furries and, um, that fellow from Legacy of Kaine.