Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Beginner's raiding guide for 3.2.x

Quote Originally Posted by zuxia
    You refered to outdated posts, the post date is 09/11/09, 3:44 AM ..concerning T9, not 9.25, or 9.5 4pc versus 2pc T9 with 2pc T8.5.

Sorry Gherkin...I don't have much time to do theorycraft sims.

http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t48311-s.../p86/.....read starting post 2137.
    Well guys, I never said the T9 (ilvl 232) was any good. Like I said, a few times already now, T9 ilvl 245 (You refer to them as T9.25) and above are an upgrade over T8.5.

I mentioned out-dated posts in reference to the Fire Stone vs. Spell Stone discussion. If the readers had actually read my OP correctly, they would've noticed I didn't even consider the ilvl 232 as an option.

and again, no, the non-set ilvl 245 emblem rewards do not make up for the loss of the 4 set T9.x bonus. So like I said in the OP, the 4x T9.x bonus is to be saught after.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

15+ Year Old Account

This whole multiple iLVL bullshit is annoying. Thanks Blizzard!

T9 232 does not exist IMO. We're not talking about this.

T9 258 is best in slot. I agree that the 4pc bonus is worth having with this gear set because there is no better alternative.

T9 245 is where the debate lies. To summarize:

Which is better:

4PC T9 245 + Merlin's Robe

OR

2PC T9 245 (Gloves, Legs) + Merlin's Robe + Mantle of Revered Mortality + Helm of Clouded Sight
    (Or whatever 245 emblem gear is better than these)

R.I.P. YARG

My Toon with 4x T9 ilvl 248 generates the following theoretical DPS: 7947

My toon with 2x T9 ilvl 248 + Mantle of Revered Mortality & Helm of Clouded Sight generates the following theoretical DPS: 7878

The spreadsheet on this website might help you decide when choices seem less obvious:
    http://dmz-gaming.com/site/wiki/inde...PS_Spreadsheet

It's less accurate than let's say 50k iterations, but it's accurate nevertheless.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

15+ Year Old Account

I was wondering where the spreadsheet went, though I didn't actively look either.

Seems I was wrong about 245. Sorry for the 2 pages of confusion.

R.I.P. YARG

K....so after reading this whole damn thing and laughing incurably at work...here is a the most recent link I found on EJ in regards to optimal gear to shoot for in 3.2 and it provides pretty good reasoning on the second dude's theorycraft for gear and how 2 piece T9 is more beneficial. God I hope this can sort out the bullshit.
    http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t74095-w...endium_v3_2_a/

I did see where you posted the link to start with, but perhaps you would like to read the whole forum and not just the first part that was posted. The 2nd gentleman show the proof of gear on his theorycraft for 2 piece T9. At least that's what I read, there very well could be something new someone else provided or proved, but I haven't read it recently since that link was just saved in my favorites.

Oh, and if it keeps me from being in a majorly stupid arguement because I agree....i'm with Gherkin on this, what he is saying makes complete sense.
    Destro crits are such a gamble for aggro sometimes....I find myself always saying, "Big crits no wammies...BIG CRITS NO WAMMIES"

Hmm, for a 'Beginner's Guide' this thread sure does have a lot of fancy language. Maybe it should be renamed "Experts Debate About What Should Go Into a Beginner's Guide". ;D

One thing I will kinda disagree with, although it's more wording than anything, is the importance of hit cap. It's the most important stat for a new raider (or a previously unconsidered stat suddenly needing a lot of work) and they certainly should take measures to up it quickly. Two good items are the Argent Skullcap from a quest in Icecrown and the Mark of the War Prisoner in H- Violet Hold. Likewise, if they are not at 14% from gear, talent points should be used.

That said, I would not tell a warlock not to raid because they aren't at 14% hit. Will they miss a few times? Yes. Will they still contribute though? Of course.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Deleted

Totally agree with this. You have to get your hit up first as a new raider using talents and the items mentioned above . The rest comes hopefully with gear and time.

Of course it is situational and more important in PUG raids, if your guild is happy to gear you up then they can't complain about your stats knowing that you are new as long as you at least have made an effort to approach an acceptable level of hit.

There is no excuse for not running heroics to pick up what you can before you start raiding. Whatever is missing after this should be acceptable to your guild provided you have at least made some degree of effort to help yourself in the first place.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape
    Hmm, for a 'Beginner's Guide' this thread sure does have a lot of fancy language. Maybe it should be renamed "Experts Debate About What Should Go Into a Beginner's Guide". ;D
    Lol's because it's so true.

OP still gets a print out and take home for later though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jobusan
    K....so after reading this whole damn thing and laughing incurably at work...here is a the most recent link I found on EJ in regards to optimal gear to shoot for in 3.2 and it provides pretty good reasoning on the second dude's theorycraft for gear and how 2 piece T9 is more beneficial. God I hope this can sort out the bullshit.
    http://elitistjerks.com/f80/t74095-w...endium_v3_2_a/

I did see where you posted the link to start with, but perhaps you would like to read the whole forum and not just the first part that was posted. The 2nd gentleman show the proof of gear on his theorycraft for 2 piece T9. At least that's what I read, there very well could be something new someone else provided or proved, but I haven't read it recently since that link was just saved in my favorites.

Oh, and if it keeps me from being in a majorly stupid arguement because I agree....i'm with Gherkin on this, what he is saying makes complete sense.
    I think you misread the thread. I'm not going to explain any further as I think I was clear enough to begin with. Just linking a thread and claiming it supports your statement won't do anyone any good. You do realize I took that thread into consideration when making this thread don't you?

Seeing how many posts it took me to clarify some aspects I would say this very much is a beginners guide If I were you I'd make use of the spreadsheet. It's fully up to date and pretty damn accurate.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape
    One thing I will kinda disagree with, although it's more wording than anything, is the importance of hit cap. It's the most important stat for a new raider
    Actually this is exactly what I said in the OP. How is it that you disagree, yet agree :/

Reaching the hit-cap is indeed your primary goal. Itemizing towards 11% is ideal as long as you have a class providing you with the hit-debuff. Ideally you always have either a Moonkin or a Shadow Priest in a 25 man raid.

If you check the latest DPS rankings you'll notice the Suppression build with 11% hit on top. What I can advice is to keep a hit trinket in your bag, just in case the Moonkin/Spriest doesn't show up.

I am not a beginner, however I still have a few problems in regards to deciding my gear. First of all here's a link to my armory
    Now it is very important that you realize that the only gear available to me is from Ulduar10 Hardmodes + Totc10+ Hardmodes. I am a 10 man raider and wish to maximize the performance of my character in any way that allows me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...rub&n=Litemode

Now to the questions.

1. I am the proud owner of a couple of nifty trinkets. Illustration of the Dragon Soul, Scales of Fate, Elemental Focus Stone and Talisman of Volatiler Power. I figured that if I have a SPriest/Boomkin in the group, Scales + IotDS is the optimal setup - Is this correct?

2. Ever since totc hardmodes hit the live servers, I've been torn between wanting to upgrade my gear to 4pieces of t9ilvl245 or splitting it up and getting 2T8, 2T9 for the set bonus, as 4T9 at the moment is "bugged" and does not grant you the increased damage for conflagrate. Also, Im having a hard time finding a proper upgrade to my shoulders, as they are still the only ones with 2 sockets in them.

2.1 My current plan is getting T9 Gloves + Leggings, staying with T8.5 Chest + Head. Is that the general way to go due to the poor itemization of chest+head?

3. The fact that we're a 10 man guild and only have 1 Shadow Priest and 0 Boomkins in the guild means that every now and then I'm raiding without the +3% hit. Would it be more beneficial for me to go 3/13/55 to ensure that I never had to worry about regearing?

4. Im using Conflag, Immo and Life Tap Glyphs. I see the OP wanting to switch out Immolate with Incinerate. Is it definitive that your choice of glyphs is better than mine?

Many thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Litemode
    1. I am the proud owner of a couple of nifty trinkets. Illustration of the Dragon Soul, Scales of Fate, Elemental Focus Stone and Talisman of Volatiler Power. I figured that if I have a SPriest/Boomkin in the group, Scales + IotDS is the optimal setup - Is this correct?
    Correct

2. Ever since totc hardmodes hit the live servers, I've been torn between wanting to upgrade my gear to 4pieces of t9ilvl245 or splitting it up and getting 2T8, 2T9 for the set bonus, as 4T9 at the moment is "bugged" and does not grant you the increased damage for conflagrate. Also, Im having a hard time finding a proper upgrade to my shoulders, as they are still the only ones with 2 sockets in them.
    The bug is indeed annoying, but it's a bug bound to be fixed soon. If you have access to trophies, I'd definitely go for the 4x T9.25 (ilvl 245) What you could do is aim for 2X T9.25 and 2x T8.5. That way you'll have the best set bonusses of both tiers.

2.1 My current plan is getting T9 Gloves + Leggings, staying with T8.5 Chest + Head. Is that the general way to go due to the poor itemization of chest+head?
    Sounds, just about right. Before you buy anything though, put the following sets in the DPS spreadsheet and see which combination has the highest theoretical dps:
    T9.25 gloves + T9.25 legs combined with T8.5 head + T8.5 chest
    T9.25 gloves + T9.25 legs combined with T8.5 head + t8.5 shoulders + Merlin's robe
    T9.25 gloves + T9.25 shoulders combined with T8.5 head + T8.5 legs + Merlin's robe

If I remember correctly option 2 is best in this case.

3. The fact that we're a 10 man guild and only have 1 Shadow Priest and 0 Boomkins in the guild means that every now and then I'm raiding without the +3% hit. Would it be more beneficial for me to go 3/13/55 to ensure that I never had to worry about regearing?
    Depends. Are you the only one providing replenishment? If so, you should stay ISL for the group's sake. If you have, lets say a survival hunter or a shadow priest, I would most definately go for 3/13/55

4. Im using Conflag, Immo and Life Tap Glyphs. I see the OP wanting to switch out Immolate with Incinerate. Is it definitive that your choice of glyphs is better than mine?
    There is currently no debate regarding the glyph of Incinerate. This glyph is considered a must in every deep destruction build.
    The differences between the glyph of LT and the glyph of Immolate though, are marginal at relatively low spirit values. Glyph of LT gets more valuable as you gear up. In a nutshell: If you want the glyph of Immolate, you should swap out the glyph of LT for it.

So I'm sure i'm beating a dead horse here, but wasn't that the gist of the argument about T9 2 piece being more beneficial or not. Mathmatically, yes...the information is there that 4 piece is better, but if the set is currently bugged and may not be fixed for a while, would the 2 set bonus be better? That just seems to make sense in my mind. I'm not trying to keep a fire under your ass about this really, just trying to make it all make sense because most of what was said between you and gherkin is intellectual babble that a simpleton like myself has a hard time understanding. So I just want clarity please and thank you.
    Destro crits are such a gamble for aggro sometimes....I find myself always saying, "Big crits no wammies...BIG CRITS NO WAMMIES"

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Jobusan
    So I'm sure i'm beating a dead horse here, but wasn't that the gist of the argument about T9 2 piece being more beneficial or not. Mathmatically, yes...the information is there that 4 piece is better, but if the set is currently bugged and may not be fixed for a while, would the 2 set bonus be better? That just seems to make sense in my mind. I'm not trying to keep a fire under your ass about this really, just trying to make it all make sense because most of what was said between you and gherkin is intellectual babble that a simpleton like myself has a hard time understanding. So I just want clarity please and thank you.
    I ran some maths using the spreadsheet. The stat upgrades from 4pc T9 vs 2pc T9 + 2pc T8, with a bugged out 4pc T9 bonus, 2pc T9 + 2pc T8 wins out but the difference is like 10 dps. It's more noticable on high movement fights like TOC Hard Modes.

R.I.P. YARG