WTB Resto Shaman help

Hey guys.
    Just thought i'd ask for a few pointers as to gemming for resto shamans come new patch.
    Now I first decided to gem intellect for a larger mana pool as mp5 has become so buffed i didn't really see any point gemming mp5, but now I am stuck with the problem of constantly getting out-healed by the other healers. It really depends on the fights etc but I know i should be geared enough to be topping all the time. Should i be trying to gem for the set bonuses? And what is your opinion on the head/shoulder enchants, which ones should i get to max my restoration skills. My armory is US Metrostation - Frostmourne

So, should i possibly gem more crit and haste instead of int? To beat those pesty resto druids healing quicker than everyone else? Or can anyone think about another form of gemming to use.

Any help would be much appreciated thank you

Re: WTB Resto Shaman help

Depends.
    While running 25mans, haste is the thing to stack. You will cast chainheal like 95% of the time, so boost its speed. There are a lot of Resto's out there, gemming haste everywhere once they got their meta activated.

If you are mostly running 10mans, your chainheal becomes less interesting (still godlike, but since you will hit lesser targets, chainheal becomes more situational). You will maybe be assigned to be a tank-healer, so you will need your healingwaves more.
    In that case, you should focus on spellpower. If socketbonuses appeal to you, gem for them.
    I do it like that: red sockets: sp / yellow sockets: sp/haste / blue sockets: sp/stam

Don't gem Mp5 and don't enchant mp5. Once your gear is fine, there is no need for this anymore.
    That's why i prefer sp/crit on both shoulder and head as enchants. Since crits trigger your watershield, it has become a source of manareg as well.

All this is my personal opinion and experience. Of course there will be other ways to deal with your gear.

€dit: some typos. not all. but some.
    srsly!

Deleted

The resto-shaman FAQ should answer your questions:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-sh...faq-%283-2%29/

Haste is the way to go to be honest.

I'll third the haste suggestion.

Resto is my offspec, and since I've gemmed for as much haste as possible, I'm either on-par with, or topping all of our primary healers.

That being said, your armory is showing you having exactly 100 more haste rating than I do, so I'm not sure what the difference is, except for a few things:

- You have 5 pts in Totemic Focus. You shouldn't need any points in it. I have all five points in the first resto tier in Improved Healing Wave. At the times that I do cast a HW, it usually does about 20k.
    - Are you keeping earth shield up on either the tank, or someone else who will be taking a significant amount of damage?
    - You should have 2 points in improved earth shield.
    - I'd recommend changing glyph of riptide to glyph of earth shield, if you're ever putting earth shield on a target that takes a lot of damage (i.e. tank). If all you're ever doing is raid healing, then riptide is a great glyph.
    - You're wearing a dps caster ring. Is that an accident, or is that a ring you heal with? If it's the 2nd best healing ring you have, then you should buy the 25 valor badge ring.
    - Your main hand weapon should have 63 spellpower instead of 50.
    - I use the egg of mortal essence (40 heroism badges). When it procs, it's giving me over 500 haste. You may want to consider replacing the 128 Int trinket with hit.
    - re: your shoulder enchant question - either the mp5 or crit version is good.
    - Are you popping tidal force every time it's off of CD? One thing I do is pop both nature's swiftness and tidal force together, so that I get an insta-heal with a bonus 60% chance to crit (almost guaranteed to crit). I've had that bring people right back from the brink of death many times.

Pretty much what ember said.

Raid: All haste except whats needed for your meta.
    If you want the socket bonuses:
    Red - SP/Haste
    Blue - Haste/MP5
    Yellow - Haste

Tank: Up to you but I personally would gem for all int and whats needed for your meta.
    If you want the socket bonues:
    Red - SP/Int
    Blue - Int/MP5
    Yellow - Int

Then again its all up to your personal play style we can't decide for you.

Vandamne

These Shamans kind of have the right idea, but with 3.2 going straight Haste is not the way to go. For your yellow sockets gem 12sp 10 haste for blue 12sp 5mp5 and for red socets gem 23SP. Depending what you raid is the amount of haste you need. My guild is about to start working on TOC 25 GC so you can see how to gem your gera for that.

Never gem int or crit.

10+ Year Old Account

It's a matter of personal preference and how you wind up healing in your 10 or 25 man. As suggested earlier if you are more raid healing you probably want more priority on haste for your gemming along with sp & mp5 for the gem department. Tank healing will be more towards Int for the larger mana pool, crit bonus from Int and the 30% of Int going into sp.

I normally don't heal a whole lot for 25 and 10mans (I raid as ele) but I try to balance my gear for mostly crit with offpieces (neck, rings, back, bracers, boots, waist and MAYBE trinkets) with haste but gem Int for the larger mana pool and activate the meta with the necessary gems.
    :3

Quote Originally Posted by Vandamne
    These Shamans kind of have the right idea, but with 3.2 going straight Haste is not the way to go. For your yellow sockets gem 12sp 10 haste for blue 12sp 5mp5 and for red socets gem 23SP. Depending what you raid is the amount of haste you need. My guild is about to start working on TOC 25 GC so you can see how to gem your gera for that.

Never gem int or crit.
    3.2 is especially using Haste gems....
    Red: SP, SP/Haste*
    Blue: Haste/Mp5
    Yellow: Haste

For tank healing u will want SP/Int gems.

I'd say aim for
    2500SP - 2600 SP
    600 Haste
    I dont rly care about mana pool, mine is 380 ub, but i usually have 2 other resto shamans and druids in raid so u wont need a good mana pool.

Never gem int or crit.
    Maybe you'd like to tell me, then, why it is (having cleared all of 25 ToC normal and 10 man hardmodes) that I can top both the total healing and heals/sec chart, by prioritizing all my gemming to haste. That's even over a pally and druid who healed us through 10 man hardmode Anub'arak by themselves. Also, you may want to tell me why the best-geared resto shaman on our server has over 900 haste, unbuffed.

In T9 content haste *IS* the way for a resto shaman to go. More specifically, if you're in T7 gear, then you want to gem for SP/mp5/Int. If you're in T8 gear, you shift towards haste, because the gear has increasing amounts of the former stats. If a T9 raiding shaman doesn't gem for haste, then they're going to be landing their heals dead last, and will show poorly on the meters. If that's the case, then the meters won't matter as much, because it'll mean that the heal didn't cast quickly enough to counter the raid damage.

On the note of tank healing vs. raid healing, I'd still go for haste. Keep in mind that with tidal forces, simply popping a riptide (or chain heal) on a tank will bump your crit on LHW, and haste on HW, for the next two casts. So, if you're tank-healing, and the tank drops low, you can Riptide -> LHW -> LHW -> Chain heal -> Riptide -> HW -> HW. Imo, the difference between tank healing and raid healing comes down to whether you use the earth shield glyph or the riptide glyph.

Deleted

Never gem int or crit.

This is completely incorrect. Apart from not gemming crit. Don't do that.
    You should gem int if you strugle with mana. But right now its fairly unlikely that you should strugle.

As Embermoon and every other poster has said, haste is a brillaint stat for us right now. The benefits are covered in the FAQ if your still unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by Embermoon

On the note of tank healing vs. raid healing, I'd still go for haste. Keep in mind that with tidal forces, simply popping a riptide (or chain heal) on a tank will bump your crit on LHW, and haste on HW, for the next two casts. So, if you're tank-healing, and the tank drops low, you can Riptide -> LHW -> LHW -> Chain heal -> Riptide -> HW -> HW. Imo, the difference between tank healing and raid healing comes down to whether you use the earth shield glyph or the riptide glyph.
    This I find very helpful as well. I have found myself having to tank heal alot in 10mans currently. For example Beasts hardmode on 10. I still find haste brilliantly useful for this. As it scales with Healing wave due to its long cast and Lesser healing wave. So you can proc Tidal waves with riptide or chain heal and keep rolling out nice fast tank heals.

Im finding that once you lose t8 4set bonus that gemming for sockets isn't the best way to go and have full haste gems.