Rogue arena help

Hey everybody,
    I play a blood elf rogue ( lvl 80 ) and I need some help with arena. I am muti/prep spec and my teammate is a holy and retripala. ( not in one spec but dual specc ofc ). I have 2 hateful, 2 deadly and 1 furious pvp setpieces and some deadly, furious and 1 relentless non-set pieces. ( around 800-900 resi, and around 22k hp I think ). I also have ulduar/toc pve gear and as weapons I have Perilous Bite ( around 179 dps, 1.80 speed ) and Stygian Steelbreaker ( 198 dps, 1.40 speed ).

My first question is, what should be the best setup for me and the paladin, holy or retribution. We are around 1250 rating now, and we don't really seem to be coming higher. We don't play very much, so if we would play more, our rating would be higher, but still I find it low.
    If the paladin goes as holy, how should we play it then? Go for their healer or cc healer and go on a dps. And what should we do when he is retri? Also, should I wear pvp or pve gear?
    The paladin has a warlock alt, who is pretty good geared too, should I maybe try playing with the lock?

Second, is muti/prep still the best build or is there something better now? ( Ofcourse for playing with a paladin or warlock ). I've heard some things about speccing into master poisoner for Envenom or Combat, but I have no experience with that so I need some help.

Lastly, what can I do against other rogues? They always catch me in stealth. I'm specced for all stealth detections and hiding in stealth talents in subtlety but the rogues always find me. When I'm stealthing around to look for rogues, I move with my mouse and I spam <Tab> and <3> (where my sap is keybound on).

Is there anything or anyone that can give me some advice?

Blahman

Re: Rogue arena help

Hey I also play rogue in arena, mute spec. I have played with holy pally, ret pally, priest, etc.... I found holy pally didnt work for me, but ive seen teams that do fairly well with it. Ret/Rogue does well IMO.

Ive played around 1800 with that comp just fooling around. Recently ive started 3s with a destro lock and priest and it seems like we pretty much 2 man everything every game because of the locks ccs we dont really need heals.

For the most part our strat is I get on our target and hold him there so that the lock and blows him up. Put tricks on the Ret/Lock for extra burst and with your control things should die fairly quick.

Also if you do play with a holy pally i would say you mostly focus the healers, of course you will need to pull the dps off your pally every now and again, but thats teh benefit to pallys is they can last for a while against most dps.

My brother switched from priest rogue set up to paladin rogue set up. It works a lot better for our play style. If it's a cleave team he'll stun the guy he wants me to kill (the one that gives him the most problems) and put BoL on myself BoE on himself and will drag the other DPS away. I went combat, so I stun him and start working on him w/o a buddy there to help him. Then I blow my CD's, Killing Spree and AR, almost any class drops right away. Then it's two on one. Our matches typically last around 45 secs and we climbed over 100 rating the first day. Went 19 and 5.
    Against healer/melee, just get the healer alone, break through his shields/buffs/hots with rupture and SnD up and stuns, once you see he's got almost no defenses up, pop KS for an easy kill. I also tried subt and it's nice as well. If you can peel them apart b/c of the team has two ranged dps or range/healer, Subt lets you burst the crap out of one target while KS divides the damage unless you pop Sweeping Strikes. I don't like muti/prep so I try other specs that are burst heavy for 2v2. Hope this helps.
    P.S. I went with Wound Poison and Crippling. I've gone against rdruid/warrior and pumped out over 120k in like 2 minutes compared to a warriors 60k with = gear. The dmg is there and you can really burn out a healer if you cannot split them. Oh and as a healadin they have a high crit heal rate which helps you build a lot of CP if you got HaT subt spec. It's much harder to use then most specs but very enjoyable imo.
    Kick me, your limping. Stab me, your bleeding.

First of all, your burst dmg/dps is pretty low I'm guessing (due to your gear) so rogue/holy would require pretty decent CC rotation or outlasting mana war. So I'd say go rogue/ret. Lot of burst dmg and enough cc to get a kill. At 1200 ratings people are generaly crap agains double dps teams.

Spec for pure dmg. http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#fhxco...ebfbh0db:TipVz (those glyphs aswell)

Get 40 AP on everything.
    Enchant everything with AP
    Go to arenajunkies.com -> rankings -> check top rogues how they enchant.

You dont need 800 res. 500-600 should be enough, so take some pve gear for more dmg.

Reason you get found in stealth by other rogues is probaly because you aint that expirienced. You need to think as a rogue and how other rogue thinks. What would you do if you were on the other team? Where would you look to find the rogue. Etc. And ofc you need a macro from spamming sap. Something like targetnearestenemy -> sap. Check macro section of arenajunkies.com. If you know a rogue is someplace close you can allways pre-vanish. (Vanish while you are in stealth). Which will give you improved stealth and you wont be spoted by the other rogue even if you almost go thru him.

After all of that you will still be in 1200 bracket unless you improve your tactics.

Going for the healer is not a tactic! Read more on arenajunkies.com. GL

Quote Originally Posted by Blahman
    Hey everybody,
    I play a blood elf rogue ( lvl 80 ) and I need some help with arena.

and.... i stopped reading

Quote Originally Posted by Blahman
    My first question is, what should be the best setup for me and the paladin, holy or retribution. We are around 1250 rating now, and we don't really seem to be coming higher. We don't play very much, so if we would play more, our rating would be higher, but still I find it low.
    I played rogue/holypal to ~1300 (zomgskillz!) last season before we hit a brick wall of teams in full Ulduar gear and I couldn't raid for upgrades. Games were horrible and slow once we got above 1k because I didn't have the burst to kill healer/dps teams unless their DPS was in pve gear (can't raid much so I was in pretty much full hateful/deadly) or timed our lockouts *perfectly* (stuns -> arcane torrent -> Kick if it's not a *$&#38;#$*#ing druid -> HoJ).

Ret/rogue is meant to go very nicely, though, with the ret's excellent burst and utility (bubbles, HoJ, repentance).

The paladin has a warlock alt, who is pretty good geared too, should I maybe try playing with the lock?
    Locks are pretty strong, their main weakness is *drumroll* rogues! So if you come up against a rogue team, you hide until the rogue attacks your warlock and then you asplode his face. I can see that team working.

Second, is muti/prep still the best build or is there something better now? ( Ofcourse for playing with a paladin or warlock ). I've heard some things about speccing into master poisoner for Envenom or Combat, but I have no experience with that so I need some help.
    Muti/Prep is still the gold standard. Some people are getting Master Poisoner now for better DPS vs plate teams, and if you have uber pve gear you can usually blow something up with Killing Spree so Combat's decent that way.

Lastly, what can I do against other rogues? They always catch me in stealth. I'm specced for all stealth detections and hiding in stealth talents in subtlety but the rogues always find me. When I'm stealthing around to look for rogues, I move with my mouse and I spam <Tab> and <3> (where my sap is keybound on).
    If you've got the standard camo / MoD / heightened senses and they're still getting the jump on you more than 50/50 then:
    (a) get the stealth enchant to cloak
    (b) maybe get hold of some engineering goggles (even more stealth detect)
    (c) hope the other guy's not night elf
    (d) play with a warlock and make him keep felpuppy out
    (e) sprint in stealth at the start of the game so they're out of sap range by the time they see you
    (e) play with sound (helps your reaction time, and the destealth sound sometimes plays a bit before they appear on screen)
    (f) fix your ping if it's bad (200ms ping difference will give them the jump every time, playing from .au I use a tunnel service which drops me down from ~500ms to ~300ms)

I went from getting the jump maybe 20% of the time to over 50/50 by following the above.
    Ultralisk-Nagrand / Táne-Nagrand / Wuggles-Nagrand / Koras-Thaurrisan / Dieselsun-Thaurissan / Bezoar-Thaurissan

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralisk
    (d) play with a warlock and make him keep felpuppy out
    Fail! Lol sorry that was rude. Felhunters no longer aid in stealth detection. They are ONLY good against casters now. The Voidwalker's Consume Shadows (which can only be used out of combat = useless) now gives the stealth detection buff, is a channeled spell and it still rather useless.

I don't think it actually really helps the caster directly but rather indirectly: everyone in the party within a certain range can detect stealthed players in a small range so the only advantage it gives is allowing a teammate the chance to catch a Rogue/Feral Druid passing on their way to the Warlock. This is why I don't use the Voidwalker and will just stick with the Succubus. If I could detect Rogues at range with the Voidwalker that would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkis2001
    Fail! Lol sorry that was rude. Felhunters no longer aid in stealth detection. They are ONLY good against casters now. The Voidwalker's Consume Shadows (which can only be used out of combat = useless) now gives the stealth detection buff, is a channeled spell and it still rather useless.

I don't think it actually really helps the caster directly but rather indirectly: everyone in the party within a certain range can detect stealthed players in a small range so the only advantage it gives is allowing a teammate the chance to catch a Rogue/Feral Druid passing on their way to the Warlock. This is why I don't use the Voidwalker and will just stick with the Succubus. If I could detect Rogues at range with the Voidwalker that would be a different story.
    I stand corrected on the felpuppy/voidy thing. :P Although you could still have the lock chain cast Consume Shadows. It's definitely not useless if you're trying to find the other rogue before he jumps your lock, since until he opens... he's out of combat. :P Am I right in thinking the voidy could stand in place channeling the spell while the 'lock moves around (to LoS or whatever)?
    Ultralisk-Nagrand / Táne-Nagrand / Wuggles-Nagrand / Koras-Thaurrisan / Dieselsun-Thaurissan / Bezoar-Thaurissan