Destro Rotation Help

I've always played as a healer and recently switched over to playing a lock. My guild always had horrible dps locks that hardly logged on to raid so I became the only lock. Unfortunately, I had no idea my dps was so bad for what gear I have until we got a new lock recruited. We're about even in our gear and stats, I've compared my spec to theirs and it's still relatively close. Thus I've come to conclude that it might be my rotation. Any help on a better rotation would be great. My rotation I use from the start of a boss fight is: CoA(other lock puts up CoE) corruption, immo, CB, conflig, incin, incin, incin... and so forth, refreshing dots at the last .5 second.
    Just to be sure it's not my spec/gear/gems or anything of the sort, my armory link is there. I use my imp and a firestone. Always flasked for raids and have my food buff.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...spine&n=Madiaa

Re: Destro Rotation Help

Hi

Your gear looks good, but you are over hit caped by alot, 345 should be your max. Obviously you can do much about the stats on the gear but I would replace your leg gem.

The crit is nice and if you have a Boomkin druid in the raid that will more than enough. I would recomend using the Spellstone and Baked Manta Ray for the extra haste.

The Glyph of Life Tap is debateble I personally use the Glyh of Incinerate.

As for the rotaion I would drop the CoA and Corruption, and go for CoD, Immo, Config, Incin repeat untill Config / Immo cooldown.

As for future gear I would really hold back on anything with hit, as it is just wasted stats, I am currently at 345 hit and it is a struggle to find upgrades without hit sometimes, but they are out there.

Forget CoA & Corruption, start your rotation with either CoD or CoE (if there is no boomkin/unholy dk/other lock that put it) then immolation -> conflag -> chaosbolt spam incinerate untill either conflag or chaosbolt is up.

For the glyphes, at low gear I used the conflag, immolation and incinerate one, now I use conflag, life tap and incinerate.

I would also note that if your haste is below 500 with pretty good gear (I would say ulduar25/T8/TotC), it's not good at all, with such a gear you should put spell gems and if you want to use some socket bonus (you should active the socket bonus only if it's spell, and not everytime) to gain some haste use spell/haste gems. Don't gem crit, if you do you are either bad or just didn't understand a thing of the warlock. Try to focus on spell > haste > crit > spirit > hit (if you are hit caped)!

forgive my english, im not a native english speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Minimatthew

The crit is nice and if you have a Boomkin druid in the raid that will more than enough. I would recomend using the Spellstone and Baked Manta Ray for the extra haste.
    I must disagree on that part. For destruction warlocks Firestone is ALWAYS better than the Spellstone. The 1% damage bonus to direct damage spells simply can't be matched by the hasterating the Spellstone provides

Quote Originally Posted by GUESSWHOIAM
    Forget CoA & Corruption, start your rotation with either CoD or CoE (if there is no boomkin/unholy dk/other lock that put it) then immolation -> conflag -> chaosbolt spam incinerate untill either conflag or chaosbolt is up.

For the glyphes, at low gear I used the conflag, immolation and incinerate one, now I use conflag, life tap and incinerate.

I would also note that if your haste is below 500 with pretty good gear (I would say ulduar25/T8/TotC), it's not good at all, with such a gear you should put spell gems and if you want to use some socket bonus (you should active the socket bonus only if it's spell, and not everytime) to gain some haste use spell/haste gems. Don't gem crit, if you do you are either bad or just didn't understand a thing of the warlock. Try to focus on spell > haste > crit > spirit > hit (if you are hit caped)!

forgive my english, im not a native english speaker
    Sigh...there's another one of these posts every week...

This guy is essentially right...As far as the curse goes and glyphs, these are hard facts- anyone who tells you otherwise is flat wrong. You want to lifetap at the beginning of every fight (rank 1 is handy for this) and lifetap at least once every 40 seconds thereafter. At your spirit level this will net you ~120 extra spellpower.

I noted that you did have exceptionally low haste. This is partly due to Blizz's shit itemization, especially in the tier items. Well they never promised us a rose garden or ideal gear. You can start by replacing those crit gems with haste and you won't get any worse.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

With my gear setup and my rotation i push out about 6-7k dps in 25 mans which is enough to be top 10 on the meters. my rotation is close to much of others rotation start out with. her is my armory link to give you an idea of the gear i have
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...is&n=Arithorne
    my rotation is as follows
    [life tap]-[curse of doom]-[immolate]-[chaos bolt]-[conflag]-[incenerate]. use [incenerate] as a filler untill your cooldowns are up.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape
    Sigh...there's another one of these posts every week...

This guy is essentially right...As far as the curse goes and glyphs, these are hard facts- anyone who tells you otherwise is flat wrong. You want to lifetap at the beginning of every fight (rank 1 is handy for this) and lifetap at least once every 40 seconds thereafter. At your spirit level this will net you ~120 extra spellpower.

I noted that you did have exceptionally low haste. This is partly due to Blizz's shit itemization, especially in the tier items. Well they never promised us a rose garden or ideal gear. You can start by replacing those crit gems with haste and you won't get any worse.
    I do use life tap (rank1) at the begining of a fight, I just didn't want to write it in the rotation cuz i didnt know if he has the glyph or not.

Sure the Glyph of Life Tap is nice but in his case its only giving an extra 120 spell power max, and thats if its on all the time. This inst even considering the effect on his dps having to put this not his rotation. An extra 5% damage on the most used spell must be better.

I can see the Glyph of Life Tap being a great buff, but why are you stacking spirit anyhow? (other than this glyph) thats what life tap is for.

Just go to town on your life tap when you OOM (head up for the healer might help), and stack more important stats than spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Killia
    I must disagree on that part. For destruction warlocks Firestone is ALWAYS better than the Spellstone. The 1% damage bonus to direct damage spells simply can't be matched by the hasterating the Spellstone provides
    This is incorrect. This discussion has already been done and numbers have confirmed..that if you are below 400 haste...spell stone is better than firestone. The thread is in the stickies btw.

Def drop Corruption and CoA. Stick with CoD (then CoA when the mob has less than 1 min to live) as your only shadow spell though, I must admit, I keep Corruption on my bars for when I have to move to safety (IC overload, Flask Freeze avoiding etc) and can afford a GCD to throw up an instant

If you know when your guild tends to pop Hero, then you can use your trinkets a bit more liberally (if they're on use). I roll with the Living Flame so on a pull, I'll pop that and Immolate then Conflag, THEN (and this is the important part) once Pyroclasm has procc'd that's when I throw up CoD. CoD hits like a friggin' truck with 505 spellpower from my trinket AND 6% added shadow damage from Pyroclasm. Just throwing that out there as a slight tweak to the standard rotation. Moral of the story, experiment with Pyroclasm procs when applying CoD, its a noticable difference

Edit- Waiting to proc Pyroclasm to apply CoD also lets your other raid members apply their damage modifying debuffs to the target, which, in turn, only makes CoD hit that much harder. In my experience anyways

@zuxiz: I am failing to see how 1% dmg to dots and a little bit of haste is greater than the added dmg to direct dmg spells. I believe the information you are reading is out dated.

@minimatthew: Glyphs are Life Tap, Conflg, Incinerate for destro. Pick up the Life Tap glyph once you get 4-piece T7 and grats, you never have to reglyph that slot through TOC. No warlock will be stacking spirit but it is inherint in our gear and raid buffed I'm getting close to 800 spirit. With the changes to replenishment you will be Life Tapping regardless of ISL or 3/3 Supression.

My starting rotation is Life Tap, Immolate, Conflag, Curse, CB, Incinerate, and repeat when cooldowns allow. I use Corruption and Shadowburn when movement is required. I wait to put my curse up until after Conflag in the hopes that Pyroclasam procs. The chance at a 6% dmg boost to CoD is worth the wait of two GCDs.

For gems you should be looking for pure spell power, except in the case where a yellow socket bonus would yield more over value than the pure spell power. Say a socket bonus is +6 spell power for a yellow gem and a red gem. Use the +23 sp gem for the red slot and a 12sp/10haste gem for the yellow slot. This effectively gives you 18sp/10haste, easily better point for point than stacking two 23 sp gems. The same goes for blue sockets. Look for blue gem slots that give a +sp bonus, and put you sp/spirit gems there.

Edit: Looks like Spacely and I agree on waiting for CoD. And edited for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumface
    @zuxiz: I am failing to see how 1% dmg to dots and a little bit of I believe the information you are reading is out dated.

@minimatthew: Glyphs are Life Tap, Conflg, Incinerate for destro. Pick up the Life Tap glyph once you get 4-piece T7 and grats, you never have to reglyph that slot through TOC. No warlock will be stacking spirit but it is inherint in our gear and raid buffed I'm getting close to 800 spirit. With the changes to replenishment you will be Life Tapping regardless of ISL or 3/3 Supression.

My starting rotation is Life Tap, Immolate, Conflag, Curse, CB, Incinerate, and repeat when cooldowns allow. I use Corruption and Shadowburn when movement is required. I wait to put my curse up until after Conflag in the hopes that Pyroclasam procs. The chance at a 6% dmg boost to CoD is worth the wait of two GCDs.

For gems you should be looking for pure spell power, except in the case where a yellow socket bonus would yield more over value than the pure spell power. Say a socket bonus is +6 spell power for a yellow gem and a red gem. Use the +23 sp gem for the red slot and a 12sp/10haste gem for the yellow slot. This effectively gives you 18sp/10haste, easily better point for point than stacking two 23 sp gems. The same goes for blue sockets. Look for blue gem slots that give a +sp bonus, and put you sp/spirit gems there.

Edit: Looks like Spacely and I agree on waiting for CoD.
    I always derive some amusement from the firestone/spellstone and haste vs sp gems debates. Much of the time the benefit from going one way of the other is marginal- or requires more effort than I'm willing to put in. However this guy has Abnormally low haste. I didn't know you could get that low by accident. I think he should give spellstone a try.

I would almost agree on the CoD thing, but historically CoD has not benefited from many of the buffs you might expect it too- haunt/shadow's embrace and the like. I don't think I've seen it confirmed one way or the other, but I have seen people post that CoD is not affected by pyroclasm by doing (seemingly straightforward) dummy tests. Not sure if I've seen any evidence refuting that. Doesn't make any difference with a spell like CoD- maybe you'll lose one more incinerate under pyroclasm, a marginal difference.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Here's rotation/glyphs I use:

Conflagrate, Life Tap, Incinerate -> Chaos Bolt glyph is neglible in comparison

Priority: CoE/CoD -> Conflagrate -> Immolate -> Chaos Bolt -> Incinerate

Here's the way I setup my UI and play:

- I put Conflagrate, Immolate, and Chaos Bolt timers very close to center of the screen. Once your timers are up, make sure you use your abilities ASAP (using the Priority sequence).
    - Pre-cast Immolate 1 second b4 it falls off.
    - Life Tap when CD of Conflagrate is 1 second or less. Or simpler, Life Tap ONLY ONCE when all abilities are on CD.

The main goal is to get as many Conflagrates off as possible. In 120s, you should aim at getting 11 conflags off, and 10 should be the minimum (even in fights where you move around).

PS. Always Life Tap at the beginning of a fight!!!