Thread: New Nova Spell

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted

Re: New Nova Spell

Quote Originally Posted by Abremm
    i dont think you read it right. you keep your magma totem down like normal, so it will be right next to it like normal, and without the talent and the glyph, you get an extra aoe burst every 10 seconds, if you have the glyph and the talent, it might get down to a 3second CD, unless i mathed it wrong, and hit 20% harder.'

its going to take some theory crafting from someone smarter than me to know if the talent and glyph are worth it, but at the very least, its MORE DAMAGE. and thats AWESOME. plus, in aoe situations with glyph/talent, being able to spam it on your magma totem every other GCD could be pretty bad ass.

looking forward to the smart mathemagicians getting some numbers on the tubes.
    For Enhancement it almost definitely won't be worth the glyph as you have to factor in what you lose. Same goes for the Flame Shock Glyph in live, the extra dps isn't as good as the damage you lose from dropping a better glyph.

The talents probably won't be worth it either. NB this is gut reaction no figures yet. The reason my gut reaction says no to talents. Again you'd have to lose talents somewhere else although possibly only a couple from lightning shield. Also the fact that its not going to be a high priority damage spell so shorter CD isnt' really that great as we won't use it that often anyway. Although if it helps ED uptime that might change it a bit.

Come what may it is raw extra damage for PvE Enhancement shaman, how much extra dps it adds is not yet worked out.

AE.

AE.

Holy crap AE.

Not being useless on half the AE pulls is going to be very nice.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by PalliesThrowStuff
    This is eerily similar to a suggestion I made about a month ago about merging superfluous totems into a mixture of simple totems and effects.

The elemental resistances aren't worth their own totems, they should come standard with any totem of that flavor which you drop, along with stoneskin.

Searing, and Magma totem are now your two fire choices. The nova is an active. Wrath and Flametongue should be mutually exclusive passive effects.

Windfury, and Wrath of Air should be your two air choices, while Sentry and Grounding are associated active abilities.

With water you pick between Cleansing and Health/Mana stream, where mana tide becomes an active abilitiy.

Earthbind and Strength of Earth are your earth choices, and Tremor and Stoneclaw become active abilites (Stoneclaw shields itself and other totems, and taunts, Tremor pulses for say 10 seconds, 12 second cooldown)

This would be a lovely suggestion to a clunky totem situation. Too many tradeoffs with the current totem setup.
    Convictions are greater foes of truth than lies.
    All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
    Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule.
    Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate. You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by PalliesThrowStuff
    This is eerily similar to a suggestion I made about a month ago about merging superfluous totems into a mixture of simple totems and effects.

The elemental resistances aren't worth their own totems, they should come standard with any totem of that flavor which you drop, along with stoneskin.

Searing, and Magma totem are now your two fire choices. The nova is an active. Wrath and Flametongue should be mutually exclusive passive effects.

Windfury, and Wrath of Air should be your two air choices, while Sentry and Grounding are associated active abilities.

With water you pick between Cleansing and Health/Mana stream, where mana tide becomes an active abilitiy.

Earthbind and Strength of Earth are your earth choices, and Tremor and Stoneclaw become active abilites (Stoneclaw shields itself and other totems, and taunts, Tremor pulses for say 10 seconds, 12 second cooldown)

This would solve our pvp issues perhaps. We are the only class with hardly any defensive active abilities.

Shaman

* Fire Nova Totem: This totem has been replaced with a new spell, Fire Nova, which is available at the same ranks as the old Fire Nova Totem. Existing characters will automatically learn this new spell in place of the totem. With a Fire Totem active, shamans will be able to use Fire Nova (fire magic) to emit the same area-of-effect damage as the old Fire Nova Totem from the active Fire Totem, not consuming the totem in the process. Fire Nova will activate a 1.5-second global cooldown when used and has a 10-second spell cooldown. The caster must be within 30 yards of the totem to use this ability, but does not need to be within line of sight of the totem.

Elemental Combat

* Improved Fire Nova Totem: Renamed Improved Fire Nova. This talent now provides an additional 10/20% damage to the spell and reduces the cooldown by 2/4 seconds.
    1. This doesn't say anything about a cast time. An instant cast could be a boon for enhance pve, but a duration cast would be fail, unless they add it to the maelstrom list. For elemental, I see this spell as great for pvp, and pve trash, but fail for pve bosses (except for adds).

2. The 1.5 second GCD this triggers would be an enhance shaman's bane. As it is now, the GCD is the biggest limiting factor to our dps. Adding in an extra half second may very well sink this ability to the bottom of our priority queue, if not outright eliminate it from it. I can think of perhaps once, in four or five priority queue cycles, that everything is on CD long enough to cast this. Then again, depending upon the damage, it may still be worth it.

3. Until we can learn more about it, I'm thinking this is primarily intended for elemental pvp shamans to be able to keep ToW down, and still have some aoe 'splosions.

Its nerf for elemental shamans in pvp,no more stun that helped me to win vs rogues/warriors/palas,besides if we want this new fire nova to be active whole time,then the totem of wrath that gives sp+crit on targets will became usless, if fire nova requests fire nova totem to be on,right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zulark
    Its nerf for elemental shamans in pvp,no more stun that helped me to win vs rogues/warriors/palas,besides if we want this new fire nova to be active whole time,then the totem of wrath that gives sp+crit on targets will became usless, if fire nova requests fire nova totem to be on,right?
    Yes, but it's going to require you to run in and drop the totem still. It just won't consume the totem you dropped.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed.

Quote Originally Posted by Embermoon

3. Until we can learn more about it, I'm thinking this is primarily intended for elemental pvp shamans to be able to keep ToW down, and still have some aoe 'splosions.
    So we can cast Fire Nova with any fire totem used?

See this as a buff to my enh pve dps. Sure, it will be lowest on priority queue, but, if I can afford the GCD (LS has enough charges and magma's already down), then I will get some extra damage. If timed correctly, this will be very nice.

Pvp-wise... well, I suck at enh pvp anyways so I won't see much of a difference. Good luck to those of you who needed it though. I guess it can be used to get stealthies out. Really makes me think we'll be hugging totems forever. Oh, well! Shaman, to me, is in the best place its been like... evar.
    YOU BROKE THE RULES...
    NOW, I'LL PULL OUT ALL YOUR PUBIC HAIR!

1. This doesn't say anything about a cast time. An instant cast could be a boon for enhance pve, but a duration cast would be fail, unless they add it to the maelstrom list. For elemental, I see this spell as great for pvp, and pve trash, but fail for pve bosses (except for adds).
    I'm assuming that since there is no cast time mentioned that it will be instant, which is the reason why it has a cooldown.

2. The 1.5 second GCD this triggers would be an enhance shaman's bane. As it is now, the GCD is the biggest limiting factor to our dps. Adding in an extra half second may very well sink this ability to the bottom of our priority queue, if not outright eliminate it from it. I can think of perhaps once, in four or five priority queue cycles, that everything is on CD long enough to cast this. Then again, depending upon the damage, it may still be worth it.
    Why would the GCD matter? All of our abilities but Wind Shear are on the GCD anyway... the only reason we'd use this is that we have a free spot in our rotation, which could possibly become more common without the T8 4 piece bonus.

can somebody answer me on my question ???

<Moderator edit: WOW you are impatient you waited all of 14 minutes to bump your question? DON'T do that again.>

Quote Originally Posted by Levva
    For Enhancement it almost definitely won't be worth the glyph as you have to factor in what you lose. Same goes for the Flame Shock Glyph in live, the extra dps isn't as good as the damage you lose from dropping a better glyph.

The talents probably won't be worth it either. NB this is gut reaction no figures yet. The reason my gut reaction says no to talents. Again you'd have to lose talents somewhere else although possibly only a couple from lightning shield. Also the fact that its not going to be a high priority damage spell so shorter CD isnt' really that great as we won't use it that often anyway. Although if it helps ED uptime that might change it a bit.

Come what may it is raw extra damage for PvE Enhancement shaman, how much extra dps it adds is not yet worked out.
    this may sounds like kiss-ass here, but I am going to have to /full agree with levva. althought popping this in a free GCD sounds good, I think glyphing or trying to work it in as a must have won't work out as well as it sounds.

come on guys, its blizz here, what have they ever done for shamans? :P (its a joke)

Quote Originally Posted by Zulark
    So we can cast Fire Nova with any fire totem used?
    Yep, It just requires any Fire totem, probably not another shaman's, within certain range. I generaly like the idea since you need to put magma in the middle of the add pull anyway so why not use a firefart on your way back. Thats pve wise ofc.
    YOU FACE NOT MALCHEZAR ALONE, BUT THE LEGIONS I COMMAND!

Quote Originally Posted by aikouka
    ...Why would the GCD matter? All of our abilities but Wind Shear are on the GCD anyway... the only reason we'd use this is that we have a free spot in our rotation, which could possibly become more common without the T8 4 piece bonus.
    Mind you, I'm playing armchair analyst on the forums, while I'm bored at work. My thinking is that I'm currently constantly waiting on the GCD to be able to hit the next ability in my queue. I'm considering that adding an extra half second to the delay that I'll be able to hit the next ability, may just make fire nova dead for us.

Then again, if it pops out enough damage, it might be worth it.

As for glyphing, and presuming that enhance will have a reason to add it to our queue, then glyph of flametongue may jump up in value.

I see this ability as highly situational and rarely entering into the enhancement “rotation”.

Personally, I find myself having a free moment with SS, LL, MW and shocks being on CD once every (on average) 10-12 seconds. I use this opportunity to refresh my magma totem (or LS if down on orbs) even if the magma totem still has 13s left on it. Why? Because I may hit exceptional rng and have no 'spare moment' to drop a magma totem for about 30s due to crazy MW and static shock procs. Without refreshing the totem every chance I get that is lost dps in circumstances where refreshing it becomes difficult.

Also, magma totem last 20s. Fire nova requires that my magma totem be down. At the extreme best I can see myself finding a gap in my GCDs only once in the 20s life span of the magma totem. Thus, glyphing for this is pointless. And if there is less than 10s left on the lifespan of the totem I suspect that dropping a new totem will be more dps than fire nova and letting a magma totem fade. Naturally this will need to be simmed, but this is my feeling.

The time where it will be really useful is for highly mobile times in fights such running between mobs, having legion flame on jarraxus or icehowl's knockback (and only then when shock is on CD).

Quote Originally Posted by Epar
    magma totem + this(glyphed) + chain lightning + thunderstorm(glyphed) = Elemental Shamans topping out the Dps on the AoE fights.

I wont spec into this, nor will I waste a glyph for it but I probably will make my secondary dual spec an Elemental spec that IS specced and glyphed for it so when it comes down to lots of trash or an aoe-friendly fight I can switch into it.
    fire nova totem has to be down to use fire nova right. so how you gone use magmatotem?
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Twisting+Nether&n=Chainz

Mind you, I'm playing armchair analyst on the forums, while I'm bored at work. My thinking is that I'm currently constantly waiting on the GCD to be able to hit the next ability in my queue. I'm considering that adding an extra half second to the delay that I'll be able to hit the next ability, may just make fire nova dead for us.
    I'm just saying that we will most likely stick it somewhere in the bottom portion of our priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainz
    fire nova totem has to be down to use fire nova right. so how you gone use magmatotem?
    No.

Deleted

Unless im reading your post wrong or taking it out of context....

Fire nova totem wont exist anymore. You use Fire nova WITH magma down.

Fire nova totem is gone. The nova is cast on whichever fire totem you have down

Deleted

All of these people talking about it being an almighty nerf to enhancement PVP.......

Isn't it a BUFF? am I missing something?

So, instead of putting down nova totem and waiting for it to explode as pure chance of getting the rogue out if he happens to be stupid enough to run near the totem when its about to explode.... You can put down a totem and explode it within 1 second?

sounds like you're not sure what a nerf is...