Ever got thumped by someone in lower level gear?

Recently i did ToC 25man and Ulduar...

1) In ToC , asides from Lord Jaxx and Twins , i get thumped by a hunter or spriest in lower level gear. I know gearscore is bad and stuff but i'm 4.9k in my arcane gear and 5k in fire , i get whooped by a hunter with 4.6k gs. I know gs is a gauge of potential damage output and all but wow... i'm contemplating giving up my mage. I do the standard rotations , i gear for hit cap as fire(2.5sec cast fireball with 446 hit) , i try to get more haste as arcane(639 haste with 367 hit, i pug so i cant go to 289 cause i dont know which class will join), but i just lose out to a spriest or hunter.

2) In Ulduar , i only win at kologarn , IC and razor , never really went to keepers but meh..

And most times , i win because i blow all my CDs at the start to maximise usage time OR for the case of IC, i blow them all when the blue rune is up. I usually jump ahead but then they always manage to stay not far behind me in damage at the end.

Anyone in the same situation as me? or am i just playing with some of the best hunters and spriests ever? or am i just plain bad.

Re: Ever got thumped by someone in lower level gear?

As a spriest i would say it is the fights more so then the gear. if there is only one target you will beat the spriest (and almost everyone else too) If there is something to multi dot or mind sear then the spriest will top you. I am sure the hunter is in the same boat they will do better with multi target fights then single target. Moment and single targets are things that kill my DPS if i can pull out mind sear or dot of some things i am a happy spriest it is the diffrence from being 5k bosses in ToC and being 9K on Ony

Does GearScore even contemplate BiS gear, like Rawr does?

I highly, highly doubt it, hence why GearScore is an atrocity that never should have made its way to the populace, as it severely misleads.

As arcane the only fight you should be struggling with DPS wise is Anub'arak. You should be crushing the competition on Jaraxxus and Twins.

Gearscore is awful. It doesn't take into acount gear itemization, just gear ilevel, and shouldn't be used as anything but an extremely rough approximation of gear level.

Without an armory link it's hard to say, but you may have a spec/gear/playstyle issue that's holding you back.

No, but that's only because I don't suck.