have a question from our prot warrior and threat

He has been doing fine until 3.2.2. Now he says he can't gain or keep threat.
    We were running H Culling and I had more threat than he did and I was healing ROFL

anyway he says his skills like the trash there, he could gain threat but not keep it and could not pull
    threat off anyone.

Was there a big change in the last patch?

any links to info about it and what he needs to do?

thank you for helping

Re: have a question from our prot warrior and threat

Almost impossible to pull threat as a healer off a tank.

Try telling him not to tank in battlestance.

Even a melee hit with def stance threat modifier will gief far more threat than a healing spell.

Time his TC's so they hit all targets, heroic throw 1 caster, then charge the other in multi-caster groups to make sure the other runs into range so he can hold threat on the lot and keep them bunched up for cleaves and TC.

Get glyph of cleaving and spam cleave + tc and perhaps glyph shockwave and keep it on CD all the time.

Tell him to tab shift every so often if he's not marking mobs and put in a devastate or revenge on them.

Hit cap for eliminating taunt misses.
    Still proudly wearing his 4xT8.1. Keep your faceroll gear. Bitches.

I will pass this along. I asked him about that culling remark... he said that it was adds coming from behind.
    That is when he said it was soooo surprising that he could not get them to attack him.
    He said he tried (whatever, I am no warrior and don't know what he was talking about) tc and cleave.

he said what really scared him was Challenging Shout. He said it was like it did nothing.
    again I have no idea but he said it was for emergencies with a long cooldown and he felt it did nothing.

I've had the issue where the healer gets ganked from behind in CoT:S. Typically it means that the healer is too far back and we're a melee heavy group. Run with a mage or something that can immediately blast all the skellingtons that charge up on you.

Alternatively he can make a focus/intervene macro for you and whenever you get in trouble run up, hit TC and he'll snag all that aggro from everything nearby. What it sounds like is happening is that he's simply out of range to hit them.

You can also fix this problem by getting closer in for melee groups but watch where you sit because there is some AoE damage.

As for Challenging Shout.

Yeah, it's not too hot. It's less for saving healers and more for saving other tanks. It's not actually a taunt as such but rather for 6 seconds you become a punching bag and afterwards whatever you don't have a ton of aggro on will go back to beating on whatever.

Which isn't to say it's not useful, but you're probably more likely to use it along with shield wall when you end up pulling 1/2 the dungeon in a raid. (Normally I've used it in Spider Wing where we suddenly get a shade, the little spiders and 2 or 3 groups of other spiders. I haven't really played in months so ....)

Nothing has changed for me at all.

He is probably rage starved because he isn't charging (mobs or rats/spiders - see below) or he is using bloodrage stupidly and then he is getting butt raped because he can't shockwave(rage) to give healers breathing room and/or he doesn't have the gear to survive the little burst from AOE trash so healers pass his horrible start in threat due to all of the above.

On a side note, CoS is filled with critters, charging them during the infinite dragon portion keeps your rage up allowing you to get good starting threat on some groups if your BR is on CD.

yeah could be cause the healer is far behind and sometimes you miss that mob. I encountered this "threat" problem in HOL yesterday while doing the gauntlet there.

So far in 3.2.2 I've seen an increase in threat -and- personal DPS while tanking, if anything.

Your prot warrior losing threat in CoS might as well have been, as pointed out, one or two mobs left aside during the running phase and the healer aggroing, which can happen once or twice but it's nothing to worry about and nothing that his art of the Warbringer couldn't fix.
    http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=57499

The "go with Cleave" suggestion is alright but I wouldn't suggest to swap glyphs just for that, all in all I've tried masspulling and Cleaving and it's hella fun (and nice to see your tanking spot leaving other non aoe-heavy classes behind on the damage meters), but doing the same with a Charge -> TC -> Shockwave will do the same benefit in the end and just alt-tabbing here and there and a second TC will guarantee your tank that mobs will never leave him.

Hope this helps.

10+ Year Old Account

Srsly if you pull aggro as healer, he needs to get a new PC/Internet or l2p there cant be nothing becouse our tanking strategy didnt change at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly
    I've had the issue where the healer gets ganked from behind in CoT:S. Typically it means that the healer is too far back and we're a melee heavy group. Run with a mage or something that can immediately blast all the skellingtons that charge up on you.
    The non-elite zombies in CoT:S have like 600hp. :S Most healers should be able to handle them with no problems. That said... he's "been doing fine"? What with? Is it possible that he's ebayed his account, was really drunk, or was letting a friend play his character? Was he accidentally in berserker stance, or in a DPS offspec?

I've noticed no change tanking heroics/raids since 3.2.2 came out, regardless. General procedure for a group pull is bloodrage, charge, thunder clap when the mobs are all in range, walk backwards 3-5 yards, shockwave. Then spam thunderclap/cleave/whatever. Shield block when mobs aren't stunned for infinite rage (yay shield spec!)
    Ultralisk-Nagrand / Táne-Nagrand / Wuggles-Nagrand / Koras-Thaurrisan / Dieselsun-Thaurissan / Bezoar-Thaurissan

thanks for the info.
    Glad to hear there were no changes in patch he missed.

YEP it was ads that got me and was NOT the warriors fault. I should have reacted and ran forward.
    I did not I went DOH ROFL

He said he bets its a distance thing on not pulling ads off others and he is doing more work now than ever.
    We ran the H daily last night, I only went to sleep once

Another thing he can do if he is well geared, barely getting hit, and barely giving you anything to heal, is take off some of his tank gear and throw on some dps gear. Makes it far more enjoyable. =]

Quote Originally Posted by domzae
    Another thing he can do if he is well geared, barely getting hit, and barely giving you anything to heal, is take off some of his tank gear and throw on some dps gear. Makes it far more enjoyable. =]
    He shouldn't be having rage issues at all. See http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=12727 - he should generally have 3 things hitting him at any given time. Mobs have a 1-2 second swing time, so that's 1.5 swings a second, and with 66% combined avoidance+block that's 5 rage per second. Thunder Clap is 20 rage on a 6 second cooldown. With shield spec alone he should have rage to thunderclap on cooldown.

I'm putting it down to an l2p issue, and if you haven't noticed it before now then I stand by the idea that he was drunk or someone else was playing his class. :P
    Ultralisk-Nagrand / Táne-Nagrand / Wuggles-Nagrand / Koras-Thaurrisan / Dieselsun-Thaurissan / Bezoar-Thaurissan