Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Deep Wounds or 3% Crit as Prot PvP?

Quote Originally Posted by Unpossible
    1) Strength will affect SOME of my abilities, it wont affect my two most important attacks: Shield Slam and Devastate. So even if I had 100.000 strength more, my shield slams wouldn't be stronger.

2) "Pretty sure" ? do you have anything besides gut feeling to back this up? I'm not trying to flame you or anything here, I'm just a fan of facts

My observations so far is that when I am in Battle Stance compared to Berserker Stance, I do way more damage with my attacks due to the armor penetration from that stance.
    1) Devestate takes 100% of you weapon damage and because of that it scales with Attackpower(Strength), the only attack it does not affect is shield slam if you reach the hard cap. (Concussion blow deals some %age of attackpower, Shockwave does, and everything that uses a weapon scales with attackpower)

2) I'm not quite sure about the numbers, but both the strength and passive ArPen required are so high, that even if you take Shield Slam out of the equation STR will still scale better.

3) That's simply because Berserker Stance only increases your chance to crit and Battle stance reduces the damage reduction against your attacks (-> a direct increase to your damage done) .

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    Doesn't resilience make crit even worse? It's already a pathetic and unpredictable stat as it is, but with reduced crit dmg from resilience it's even worse and even less predictable.
    Resilience reduces crit chance aswell as it reduce DoT damage.
    You sound like "if resilience reduce crit chance then better just go full STR without any crit". But actually with good gear you still can have some good amount crit "after resilience reduction" + block cap and some ArP also, and hit cap at same time.

Quote Originally Posted by proga
    Resilience reduces crit chance aswell as it reduce DoT damage.
    You sound like "if resilience reduce crit chance then better just go full STR without any crit". But actually with good gear you still can have some good amount crit "after resilience reduction" + block cap and some ArP also, and hit cap at same time.
    I said resilience reduces the crit _damage_ l2reading comprehension.
    What's the point of this 2nd sentence? I think I explained it already why significantly more damage with lower chance to crit is better than significantly less damage with a higher chance to crit.

As an example I'll just make up some random numbers but it will usually look like this:
    Assuming your burst consists of 10 attacks, resilience reduces crit damage by 5%:
    With Str gems: attacks hit 20% harder but you have only 20% crit, so you'll end up with : 2 crits for 120*190% and 8 hits for 120% = 1416% damage
    With Crit gems: attack will hit 0% harder and you have 30% crit , so you'll end up with: 3 crits for 100*190% and 7 hits for 100% damage = 1270% damage

My numbers might be a little exaggerated, but that's usually what you're looking at and if RNG favors the str gemmer he'll do faaaar more burst damage than the crit gemmer can ever do.

Quote Originally Posted by Unpossible
    Fun fact: Block Value Soft cap is 2400 (30 x your level). Hard cap is 2760 (34.5 x your level)

Source: Patch notes from 3.2.0
    Shield Slam: The benefit from additional block value this ability gains is now subject to diminishing returns. Diminishing returns occur once block value exceeds 30 times the player's level and caps the maximum damage benefit from shield block value at 34.5 times the player's level.

---

So tell me again why I should gem for strength when I am already at cap?

However if you are NOT at block value cap, I suggest you do the hard work I have done (read: patience, hope for drops/rolls), by collecting Best in Slot items from various PvE sources. And yeah, gem for strength meanwhile.

Check my gear and spec at armory if you want.

---

I have considered gemming for Armor Penetration though. Not sure if it is worth it. I think I will run some tests after I collect some gear for those slots which I currently dont use Block Value gear. (bracers, cloak, 1 ring and perhaps a trinket)
    That ihas acctually been the subject of much debate on tankspot (or as much as there can be given the low amount of pvprots). It is generally thought by those who did testing that the DR acctually doesnt stop at 2760, but continues to give benefit (a VERY dimished benefit up till a number after 3k. Meaning that one should interpret "caps the maximum damage benefit" as "dimishing returns is capped at maximum at this number of block value" and not "you will not get more damage from more block value after this point".

I've seen the same in my full block value gear (giving me about 3.1-3.2k BV with trinkets on use up). There is probably a very, very slight difference between shield slam damage with and without trinkets on use after 2760. However it is not known if trinkets on use is counted towards the DR or not

Point being, the cap might be over 3k with ridiculously high DR, it might not be. Test and see for yourself Ig yuess
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara