newbie to raid FAQS

Hey guys i'm new to lock and just got mine to 80, i'm going straight for a t8 raid set, conquers set.

is there a spec that stands out in raids and pve? if so please post spec, gem and enchants suggestion,

also if you dont mind, jot down a few caps i should be aware of, again all this is NOT for pvp.

thanks alot

15+ Year Old Account

Re: newbie to raid FAQS

There are no caps.
    Always gem for Spell Power (Runed Crimson Ruby).
    Always use a Chaotic Skyflare and two Purified Dreadstones.

Spec: In T8 content, play what you enjoy. They all do about the same damage. Destruction is favored in Ulduar due to the mechanics where burst is required, but Affliction will keep up.

R.I.P. YARG

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Re: newbie to raid FAQS

Disclaimer: I have no idea what sort of raiding experience you have... so I'll write this as though you don't have any. My apologies if you've got a lot already on some other class.

The only "cap" that you need to worry about is the HIT cap: 17% is the ranged caster hit cap for raids. (That HIT can come from gear, talents, or raid buffs.)

If you want a good, condensed "how to warlock in PvE" distillation, I suggest ElitistJerks' simulation thread. It's written for end-game raiders, but it shows the current specs, as well as those specs' itemization, rotation, etc.

I'd suggest one of the destro specs to start with: they're fast to ramp up to good numbers. I used 0/13/58 (with Improved Soul Leech) when I was destro: it's got great damage, longevity, and replenishment. 3/13/55 is another popular one, if you need the HIT from talents.

In any case, that first post of the forum includes suggested glyphs, pets, etc. For both of the above, it's Glyphs of Life Tap, Conflagrate, and Incinerate; Imp; Fire Stone, Fel Armor.

As Gherkin said (always listen to his posts - he's a VERY good 'lock poster), you want the Chaotic Skyflare meta, two Purified Dreadstones, and Runed Crimson Rubies for EVERYTHING else (ignore socket bonuses). (Don't forget the Eternal Belt Buckle for that extra belt socket.)

Head enchant is the Arcanum of Burning Mysteries (Kirin Tor); shoulders are Greater Inscription of the Storm (Hodir) unless you're Inscription. Brilliant Spellthread for the legs; Powerful Stats for the chest. Other than that, aim for spell power enchants (unless you need HIT). Boots are an interesting one: Icewalker is the obvious choice; I prefer Tuskarr's (given the number of "moving" fights).

Only other thing to watch is threat: 'locks in general tend to have a lot of aggro, and destruction 'locks have more than affliction or demo. Soul Shatter is your friend... as is the teleporter: that few extra seconds can save your life.