Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do warrior tanks have a rotation?

Like the paladins 969? Or do u guys just button mash whatever comes off CD first?

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Do warrior tanks have a rotation?

A warrior tank lives more by a priority system (as more and more builds are these days). At its most basic, the priority is Shield Slam > Revenge > Devastate.

(I haven't tanked on a warrior since a few patches back, someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

I've been tanking a bit as prot and tbh i dont really know myself how to really do a good rotation, but anyhow i always seem to be able to be able to tank anyway. But i usually go Shield slam > Shockwave > Devastate. Then i use revenge when it procs, spam devastate and hope for sword and board procc and then SS again, if i got to much rage i pop some Heroic strikes as well. But this usually works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm
    A warrior tank lives more by a priority system (as more and more builds are these days). At its most basic, the priority is Shield Slam > Revenge > Devastate.

(I haven't tanked on a warrior since a few patches back, someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
    No, that's pretty much it. With other abilities (Thunderclap, Shockwave) thrown in as necessary.

Remember to throw in Conc Blow and Shockwave whenever they are off CD, although I think with the changes to Devastate that there isn't as much a difference as their used to be.

One of the best things to help your threat though is to keep heroic strike or cleave qued up depending on the fight. They each produce a ton of threat and you get the 15% extra crit chance from incite.

I've played a warrior tank for three years now, and when i am tanking i find that i hit buttons without really knowing it, as if my fingers have their own mind.

However, i must say... my fingers do a damn good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly
    Remember to throw in Conc Blow and Shockwave whenever they are off CD, although I think with the changes to Devastate that there isn't as much a difference as their used to be.

One of the best things to help your threat though is to keep heroic strike or cleave qued up depending on the fight. They each produce a ton of threat and you get the 15% extra crit chance from incite.
    Yea conc and shocwave and rend aren't as good anymore. Dev was buffed enough that between the chance to proc sword and board the increased damage it's definitely worth using.

So for single target tanking, Shield slam > revenge > devastate

With Shield slam > devastate > revenge before sunder armor hits five stacks.

And Thunderclap / demo shout if necessary. Heroic strike on every melee attack if you have the rage.

<3 Tankspot
    [img height=500]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9209/warriorthreatrotation2td0.png[/img]
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so.

That chart is outdated... Conc and shockwave and rend and heroic throw < .5 seconds after a melee swing are all less productive to use then just devastate since it was buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho
    That chart is outdated... Conc and shockwave and rend and heroic throw < .5 seconds after a melee swing are all less productive to use then just devastate since it was buffed.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragall
    No.
    <u> Bonuses </u>

BOTH-------------

4079 AP
    6% crit

<u> Damage from attacks </u>

DEVASTATE----------

15%+ crit (21% total)
    30% chance for a free shield slam

OLD DEVASTATE--------

.5 * ( Weapon Damage + Attack Power / 14 * normalization ) + 250 (5 sunders, old damage was like 50 per application)

.5 * (216.6 + 4079 / 14 * 2.4 ) + 250 = 707~ Damage per devastate at 5 stacks of sunder

1696~ damage crit with impale for devastate + X for deep wounds (x is used because it's the same for both conc and devastate)

DEVASTATE -----------

( Weapon Damage + Attack Power / 14 * normalization ) + 560 (5 sunders) DEVASTATE

(216.6 + 4079 / 14 * 2.4 ) + 560 = 1475~ Damage per devastate at 5 stacks of sunder

3540~ damage crit with impale for devastate + X for deep wounds (x is used because it's the same for both conc and devastate)

CONCUSION / SHOCKWAVE----------

AP * .75 CONC/SHOCKWAVE

.75*4079= 3059.~ Damage per concussion blow or shockwave

7341~ damage crit with impale for conc / shockwave + X for deep wounds (x is used because it's the same for both conc and devastate)

<u> Conclusion </u>

Would you rather have 3k~ damage with a 6% chance for 7341 + X
    or 1.4k~ damage with a 21% chance for 3540 + X and a 30% chance for a slam.

Keep in mind deep wounds is the only thing not reduced by armor in this equation, and the slam has a 21% chance to crit for double damage + X as well.

This being without the bonsus's from T8 or T9 (common armor) on devastate or the bonus from T7 (entry level tier) on slam.

Devastate used to deal about half the damage it does now, because of that even the slam proc wasn't worth fishing with such low damage. Now it does damage respectable enough to be used to fish for sword and board procs in place of the conc and shockwave.

If you don't think the bonsus's you get from devastate are enough to account for the extra damage from conc blow, then by all means use shockwave and conc blow in it's place, and say I'm completely wrong.. But a 30% chance is something you could at least somewhat rely on to occure once in every X devastate. You could even average the damage from slam out on an unlucky streak if you feel the need.

Edit: I just put "yes" in this wall of texts place. Sorry for taking so long with the passage.

By your logic, devastate should have been always ahead of conc/shockwave - buff or no buff. Our bleed dot will come from HS crits, so we don't need to claim devastate has an inflated level of importance in running the deepwound spec.

Conc/shockwave have a monster AP modifier. They scale incredibly well while devastate does not. It does more damage for your global, ergo the assumptions about the other two spells that kept them above devastate still apply and it still loses.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/5...tml#post295659 is a nice post on the (imaginary) circumstances where devastate gets its priority increased.

15+ Year Old Account

0 rage + no combat
    blood fury (orc)
    zerker rage
    charge
    3x devastate
    sslam
    thunderclap
    rend
    revenge
    demo shout
    mash into revenge/sslam, hstrike rage dump rotation
    stop hstrike ahead of a slam to refresh anything i need then slam, rinse repeat after

rage or +combat
    sslam
    +3 devastate
    rend
    mash rotation

I used to use concblow/shockwave when off cooldowns but I have found as time went on and gear progressed (plus I got used to having 2x t8/t9 for the 2x2pc bonus's) meant I had no need to use either. I would only ever bother with it either on trash/5 man crap nowadays.

Would you rather have 3k~ damage with a 6% chance for 7341 + X
    or 1.4k~ damage with a 21% chance for 3540 + X and a 30% chance for a slam.
    Awww come on:
    Crit modifier with impale is 1+1.2 not (1+1)*1.2.
    1.4k with a 21% chance to crit for ~3k is NEVER better than something that ALWAYS hits for 3k.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplz
    I've played a warrior tank for three years now, and when i am tanking i find that i hit buttons without really knowing it, as if my fingers have their own mind.

However, i must say... my fingers do a damn good job.
    This

Generally speaking, put sunders up, tc & demo up, commanding up & ss/rev/dev with cb/sw thrown in between with regular hs spamming.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    Awww come on:
    Crit modifier with impale is 1+1.2 not (1+1)*1.2.
    1.4k with a 21% chance to crit for ~3k is NEVER better than something that ALWAYS hits for 3k.
    The big chance comes from 30% chance to proc a shield slam. Average the damage and threat from slam and see why the buff to devastate makes it worth it.

Deep wounds is a bonus to damage, it comes from heroic strike but it also rolls over. It occurs more if you crit more from all sources.

Even with a miscalculation for deep wounds, I had done the same thing for all three calculations so the values are off by the same margin.

Like I said, go on and do the math for averaging in the damage/threat from slam procs. Btw this is all in kungen's gear so a lower AP and probably lower weapon damage, would make sense for the average tank. I'm assuming the OP is far from this gear level so the values are probably going to be no where near it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenryusho
    Btw this is all in kungen's gear so a lower AP and probably lower weapon damage, would make sense for the average tank. I'm assuming the OP is far from this gear level so the values are probably going to be no where near it.
    I do like your posts in general Xenryusho but would like to state the fact that you are getting Kungen's UNBUFFED ap of 4k into consideration. I'm vastly undergeared compared to him but I can hit over 5-5.5k ap in raids so that skews the chart in favor of sw/cb.

However I'm more likely to save those 2 cds for times they matter such as stunning a lose mob in AoEs or interrupting casters if they are not immune to stuns.

slightly on a tangent... but may help with tps

for threat now the deva and block glyphs imo are better than vigilance. deva provides 2749.49 threat points (NOT TPS) and block 976.45 AND 745.5 miti points vs just 999.99 threat points from the vigilance glyph. I use to run sw/ls/vigilance, but now, except for some fights, generally rock block/deva/SW.

and there's a post on the tankspot forums outlining the math behind the deva glyph, but basically, with it it deems the validity of cb and sw null so the prio list becomes like Xenryusho's one.

Another way to get more threat is to pull a Xanadu and stack ArP, get SS set bonus, half crit gear and bam 12k SS's :P sadly this aint too useful unless ur tanking in... arena >.<

What tank doesn't want to see 12k SS? Big numbers are awzum!

http://www.tankingtips.com/2009/10/2...g-has-changed/

This explains some of the confusion.

But in all seriousness, if you're looking for tanking answers here you're in the wrong place.