Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Could use some expertise (Rogue-wise)

It regards a huge dps swing for me between two instances. Ony 25 and Toc 25.

The same guild invited me to each instance about a week apart and the group make up was very much the same each time. My gear hadn't changed but 'accidently' my build had. I was experimenting with 18/51/2 and usually run 15/51/5.

In Ony 25 (15/51/5) I was hitting around 5.8k dps.

In ToC 25 - Anub (18/51/2) I was hitting 'almost' 3k dps. I had been using the 18/51/2 build out in pve farming and forgot to switch back.

Is it the builds that are that different ... or are the fights that different?

My armory:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...light&n=amaric
    In case there are any comments regarding my build? I should add that the helm is new since the issue above. Thanks for any thoughts.
    If two people are exactly alike, one is not necessary.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Could use some expertise (Rogue-wise)

Those fights are massively different. Like in every way. One has a constant stream of tank n spank with a massive AoE in the middle, while the other one involves pretty much spamming FoK for the whole fight and then kiting for long durations. I'd easily test it on something more reliable. I measure DPS with jaraxxus and steelbreaker damage personally, but generally I just trust my spreadsheet.

In Ony you are FoKing shit up (see what I did there) however htere is a lot of downtime where you will not be DPSing. In ToC there is a lot of running around at times so that may be the difference.

I do think that the 15/51/5 is a better spec but I doubt it would make 3k DPS difference. Also might have just been an off night for you.

I would try to either get another Mace and go mace spec or get a fist and go CQC. Also your gear is almost to point where you would benefit more from Armor Pen than AP........imho

I 2nd the guy above me... on Ony FoK like there was no tomorrow(on whelps, not always ¬¬, and do remeber to trick the tank before you Fok)and you should be close to 10k dps... well maybe 8k with your gear and combat spec.

As an assassination rogue you get harder hitting Foks because of Hunger for Blood, Find Weakness and Murderç

Oh and about that expertize bussiness, you only need 26 for the soft cap... thats 16 via gear cause you are combat(you get 10 through weapon expertize). Reaching the hard cap is kinda pointless cause you'll rarely be infront of a boss, unless you wanna get cleaved to pieces.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying
    I'd easily test it on something more reliable. I measure DPS with jaraxxus and steelbreaker damage personally, but generally I just trust my spreadsheet.
    Thank you .... this was not so much a 'test' as it was a 'result' and I was unsure what the difference was. I appreciate your points, they're well taken.
    Regarding the spreadsheet, I have yet to fully understand how to use them, the problem I run in to is not having gear that is 'listed' and am unsure how to deal with the raid buffs portion. Maybe my gear is good enough now to be part of the spreadsheets .... I'll try again - thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyetotem
    I would try to either get another Mace and go mace spec or get a fist and go CQC. Also your gear is almost to point where you would benefit more from Armor Pen than AP........imho
    'My kingdom for new weapons' ..... I seriously need new weapons and appreciate your pointers on what to look for .... I'll take any upgrade and respec accordingly.
    Regarding the ArP ... you say my gear is 'almost' to the point ... do you have anything more concise, like ... 'when you can get .......' then I'd switch to ArP or something along those lines?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crihnoss
    I 2nd the guy above me... on Ony FoK like there was no tomorrow(on whelps, not always ¬¬, and do remeber to trick the tank before you Fok)and you should be close to 10k dps... well maybe 8k with your gear and combat spec.

As an assassination rogue you get harder hitting Foks because of Hunger for Blood, Find Weakness and Murderç

Oh and about that expertize bussiness, you only need 26 for the soft cap... thats 16 via gear cause you are combat(you get 10 through weapon expertize). Reaching the hard cap is kinda pointless cause you'll rarely be infront of a boss, unless you wanna get cleaved to pieces.
    Thank you too!!! .... in Ony I was FoK'ing to beat the band although I don't think my tricks was up - I'll certainly do that differently next time.

Regarding the expertise .... well .... not sure what to say, I'm not gemming it, it just comes with the gear I have, no way to reduce it without changing gear. I'm upgrading gear as it's available and pretty much taking what I can get my hands on. So idk what to say other than 'yeah, I'm over capped on it'. Thanks for pitching in here - it's appreciated.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account

If you wanna add your own gear, you can unhide the gear sheet (unhide is under Format->Visibility->Hide and unhide on excel). Then rightclick on the left side between 2 peices of gear (not the first or last one!!) and insert a new line, then just copy any other line and paste it in and modify the name/stats to match whatever item you're adding.

I do 12k on Ony25 and typically 7-8k on Anub. Same spec. As everyone is saying - completely different fights.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying
    If you wanna add your own gear, you can unhide the gear sheet (unhide is under Format->Visibility->Hide and unhide on excel). Then rightclick on the left side between 2 peices of gear (not the first or last one!!) and insert a new line, then just copy any other line and paste it in and modify the name/stats to match whatever item you're adding.
    Thank you - this may help a lot with the spreadsheet - may even keep me from having to come here for 'some' answers -

Quote Originally Posted by Eschbach
    I do 12k on Ony25 and typically 7-8k on Anub. Same spec. As everyone is saying - completely different fights.
    Same camp....

Horses for courses as they say. As a rogue you loose a lot of DPS time on Anub when he submerges as we have to run round from target to target (to normally find the sod is dead from Ranged just as we arrive and swing once). The only time we really get to go all out nuke mode is in Phase 3.