Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: How not to piss off your tank

Quote Originally Posted by Ralyha
    I have the same issue as a healer in arena......
    Way to compare that wrong. Your arguments would be valid if the OP was talking to the monsters rather than party members. Last time I checked, your party members are not your opponents.
    I may look busy, but I'm just confused.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by draticus
    There is so much fail here I can barely muster the focus to correct it all. First off it speaks loads about this community that everyone is so negative as to assume the problem is me just so they have someone to bash rather than accept what I've said.

Heres the way the fight goes. There are four mobs in teh group. The one on the right is a caster. I avengers shield the caster and it bounces to two others. Now the caster is silences by avengers shield and is going to be walking towards me where I'll throw down conc and beat the crap out of all four mobs. No one will even come close to touching my threat until

The warrior intercepts the caster, preventing them from getting to me. (Yes, hes fury. Yes, he intercepts to start)

The DK deathgrips something over to him and out of my conc.

The mage frost novas, preventing everything from getting into one place

The Hunter MD pulls a different group because he didn't know the group hes pulling is skippable and hes been waiting forever for me to pull it while we've been behind him fighting this group.

The Healer or any ranged DPS instantly creates threat on the far left mob (which didn't get hit by my avengers shield) and it runs at a hard right angle to them avoiding my conc because they're not behind me.

Now I have to use righteous defense on the healer to collect the group the hunter pulled since the healer is generating so much threat healing the DK and Warrior, Taunt off the warrior, run to the DK and regain control of his mob and then taunt that until now frost nova'd mob that the mage has been dpsing the whole time but I've been unable to hit because it couldn't follow me over to the DK. I use up all my mana by constantly taunting and never never hitting anything or getting hit so now I have to sit and drink so the hunter MDs because I'm being too slow.... rinse, repeat.

I never said heroics are hard. I never said you can't clear heroics with a bunch of people screwing up. I said please stop screwing up in these ways because its annoying.

I obviously struck a few cords with some people who dont like having their errors pointed out to them. Just stop doing this annoying crap. If you don't do the things I've pointed out then why get so butt hurt and try to turn it around on me?
    I have played a tank for nearly five years and these things tend to happen in pugs, General rule, always pull while the mage is drinking and the hunter is afk. The guys that does this will keep doing it till the end of time. You can tell em not to a thousand times and they will still do it on the next group. My advice to you is to find a group of players that doesn't do any of the things you have pointed out and stick to this group.

Anyways, best of luck!

/Hoff

I have seen bad QQ threads but this takes the cake imo because i tank heroics all the time but even if i have dumb dps just talk to them or tell them not to do stupid shit. dont get pissed its a dumb ass heroic bfd if you just get pissed and leave then you just fail as a tank. Tanks have to adapt to certain sitiuations and if you cant handle the fact pugs for heroics (or even sometimes raids) the dps can be a total retard but its a heroic dungeon get over it not that big of a deal but say you wipe on a raid boss ok i understand your frustration or rage but dude your crying over heroics come on if you cant handle it stop tanking and go ret because its apparent that you cant handle dealing with dumb ass dps heroics pfft. if its that big of a deal just tell dps to DIF there are plenty more to replace them

Quote Originally Posted by Toast515
    If you were a good tank, you would have aggro so they would just run right back to you.
    Casters and ranged dont run back to you. I hit tehm with avengers shield at the pull so that they would come to me. Now I have a caster and a healer both too far apart to dps them both. I probably wont lose aggro but killing them all takes longer now. There is no good reason to knockback in PVE
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

Here are a few common mistakes that dpsers make while I'm tanking. You probably don't even know you're doing it but your fucking everything up. Please stop.

Fury Warriors: You are not an off tank! Don't intercept when the tank pulls. Don't taunt. Don't mocking blow. Don't try to pick up adds.

DKs. If you're not tanking just unbind deathgrip now or gtfo. Don't use army of the dead unless asked. If you don't know why then you aren't smart enough to be trusted with it.

Hunters: Pulling is not your job. If you MD pull when not asked to you are bad. Messing up the pull and the mob positioning just slows the whole process down. If you have ADD then take drugs or gtfo. Your pet is not a tank.

Mages: Odds are you do not know how to use frost nova correctly so please unbind it. For every time its used correctly once it fucks the tanks intended positioning up 99 times. Unless you are a certified member of Mensa and have a masters degree in frost nova usage unbind it now or gtfo.

Druids: Unbind Typhoon now or gtfo. Knockback abilities are the worst idea anyone at bliz ever had. Don't cyclone unless asked.

Everyone: If you see a caster mob thats not being attacked by the tank dont dps it. Just because the tank isn't attacking it right now doesn't mean the tank doesn't still have aggro and know the mob is there.

EDIT: Also, as someone below pointed out, healers should heal/HoT/Bubble before the pull or at least 3 seconds after the pull. Anyone generating any threat right at the second of the pull is /facepalm
    You sound like a pretty crappy tank if u're still stressing over these things in heroics nowaday dude. Most ppl are doing heroics with 226 gear and up.

Fury warriors - Most mobs die so fast in heroics now even if they pull aggro from WW it doesn't matter much, all you have to do is taunt the mob back, concussion blow it, or shockwave and the mob is dead within 5seconds anwayy. I've run thousands of heroics and never seen a dps warrior taunt or mockng blow a mob intentionally. If they did it's probalby to piss off your shitty ass.

Dks - I actually think a smart DK would deathgrip a caster mob for you it its caster from far away. You sound like you don't even know how a decent DK can play into your advantage as a tank so stop trying to teach them how to play.

Hunters - I love hunters that MD the next group for me and save me time w/o me having to ask them. Who cares if pet isnt a tank, a dead pet is better than a dead player.

Mage - I hardly ever see a bad frost nova. They're either frostnovaed at the spot you're tanking on or they're novaed b/c they're chasing after someone. Either case they're locked down, now its your turn go to get it.

Druid - Typhoon is actually good when u get overwhelmed and the healer need a few extra second to pick up the group, a good typhoon can knock the mobs back and get your healer those extra seconds.

In my experience bad players whine and cry a lot. Good players learn and adapt to their own mistakes and other ppl's mistakes.

Its about initial aggro. If I pull and the healer instantly heals a mob can change direction run to him instead of me. I can taunt him easy enough before he gets to the healer but I shouldn't have to. And while taunt is on CD I can't taunt the 5th mob that the hunter pulled before it got to me so he feigns death and now THAT mob is going after the healer. I'm just pointing out little, easy things people can do to make heroics AND raids go smoother.
    I dont know if your terrible at this game, dont speak english as your native language or are just stupid but a healers threat will only be a much as their ammount healed. If you happen to see a healer that pulled threat between your initial pull and your next youre not generating enough threat. A healer only generates threat based on healing done, not on overhealing so again this whole thread loops back to that you clearly arent a great tank and are looking for some way to soothe your bruised ego since you have been failing at your job.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

^^^

Its about initial aggro. If I pull and the healer instantly heals a mob can change direction run to him instead of me. I can taunt him easy enough before he gets to the healer but I shouldn't have to. And while taunt is on CD I can't taunt the 5th mob that the hunter pulled before it got to me so he feigns death and now THAT mob is going after the healer. I'm just pointing out little, easy things people can do to make heroics AND raids go smoother.
    EVERY healer has some ability that can reduce aggro or the dmg done to them for at least a few seconds (pally bubble, barkskin, etc) so its really a question of the healer's skill, not necessarily the tank's. Now, i have been on the receiving end of the heal getting initial aggro, and it isnt fun. However, ANY tank that has "trouble" getting that initial aggro without using a taunt needs to lern2tank better. EVERY tank class has some ability that can be used at range to get that initial aggro before the mobs even start moving to the healer (intervene/intercept, avenger's shield, feral charge, death grip, etc). we have those skills for a reason. Not using them because "the healer should know better" is a lame excuse first off, and second the tank does not get in the habit of knowing WHEN and WHERE to use said skills.

I'm just going to throw this out there... but a few of these are really good ways to not piss off your healer as well...

I can't say this gentleman is a bad tank based on this post... Sometimes you have 1 or 2 retards in a group that make it take a lot longer to do anything. If you have to compensate for a mistake someone else made, your own performance will decline, no matter how skilled you are.

10+ Year Old Account

if ur an ot plz stop taunting to take aggro cuz you wanna feel special by MTing the boss, and then dont go saying oh i didnt taunt when the icon obviously appreared the moment you took aggro.
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

There is so much fail here I can barely muster the focus to correct it all. First off it speaks loads about this community that everyone is so negative as to assume the problem is me just so they have someone to bash rather than accept what I've said.

Heres the way the fight goes. There are four mobs in teh group. The one on the right is a caster. I avengers shield the caster and it bounces to two others. Now the caster is silences by avengers shield and is going to be walking towards me where I'll throw down conc and beat the crap out of all four mobs. No one will even come close to touching my threat until

The warrior intercepts the caster, preventing them from getting to me. (Yes, hes fury. Yes, he intercepts to start)
    Pro-tip: Move. You have several other abilities that will retain aggro. When I tanked on my paladin, I generally avengers shield while running in, judge the mob it doesnt hit, be in melee range and drop consecration. Both AS and judgment will use your GCD's and by the time its off GCD you should be close enough to the mobs to use consecration or other threat abilities. You are being straight up bad if you AS -> stand there in your consecrate. That is flat out retarded.

The mage frost novas, preventing everything from getting into one place
    Why is the mage so close to the mobs?

The Hunter MD pulls a different group because he didn't know the group hes pulling is skippable and hes been waiting forever for me to pull it while we've been behind him fighting this group.
    Why are you behind a hunter?

The Healer or any ranged DPS instantly creates threat on the far left mob (which didn't get hit by my avengers shield) and it runs at a hard right angle to them avoiding my conc because they're not behind me.
    Judgment has a range. USE IT.

Now I have to use righteous defense on the healer to collect the group the hunter pulled since the healer is generating so much threat healing the DK and Warrior, Taunt off the warrior, run to the DK and regain control of his mob and then taunt that until now frost nova'd mob that the mage has been dpsing the whole time but I've been unable to hit because it couldn't follow me over to the DK. I use up all my mana by constantly taunting and never never hitting anything or getting hit so now I have to sit and drink so the hunter MDs because I'm being too slow.... rinse, repeat.
    I am sorry if you run out of mana as a paladin, because I never did except on vezax. The changes to plea made prots have unlimited mana =\

Quote Originally Posted by flyingspam
    EVERY healer has some ability that can reduce aggro or the dmg done to them for at least a few seconds (pally bubble, barkskin, etc) so its really a question of the healer's skill, not necessarily the tank's. Now, i have been on the receiving end of the heal getting initial aggro, and it isnt fun. However, ANY tank that has "trouble" getting that initial aggro without using a taunt needs to lern2tank better. EVERY tank class has some ability that can be used at range to get that initial aggro before the mobs even start moving to the healer (intervene/intercept, avenger's shield, feral charge, death grip, etc). we have those skills for a reason. Not using them because "the healer should know better" is a lame excuse first off, and second the tank does not get in the habit of knowing WHEN and WHERE to use said skills.
    I've pulled the boss once... with heal aggro... 1 minute into the fight..... WTF.....

The only two of these that really annoy me are the frost nova and knockback.

1) If I have the mobs in group and start generating aoe threat, your knockback is wasting our time. Just use normal aoe like everyone else and we'll get through this much faster.

2) Frost novaing things is rarely helpful. People don't outthreat me so if something is loose it is because it was pulled by someone other than me. If it is frost novaed, I actually have to run it down. A taunt on a accidentally pulled mob generate very little threat so a healer might be able to outthreat the taunt before the nova wears off. If he's not novaed, he'll run to me and I can hit him with something else.

As for the others:
    Positioning isn't a big deal, as a tank you should really get used to moving things around.
    Taunting adds doesn't bother me much either. I may let you tank it until your taunt wears off though. As long as you don't use any other high threat moves and keep it near me, I'll get it when your taunt wears off. I may taunt it off you before that, but usually I'll generate more threat on the mob by using the gcd on something else.

Don't cyclone unless asked.
    Shit like that is retarded - how can you blanket say that is never appropriate without the tanks express permission?

If a mob is attacking a healer you want the druid to ignore it and just DPS the main target or possibly waste 8 seconds of your time preventing a possible wipe?

Hang on. I've not really played since BC. Do pulls still go wrong every now and again? Or is everything so easy that using initiative really is that awful?

Quote Originally Posted by Fergand
    I've pulled the boss once... with heal aggro... 1 minute into the fight..... WTF.....
    Ive seen a pally healer do that toward the end of p1 on gormok HM 25m because he was healing with RF on for the extra damage mitigation /sigh.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Ntrails
    Shit like that is retarded - how can you blanket say that is never appropriate without the tanks express permission?

If a mob is attacking a healer you want the druid to ignore it and just DPS the main target or possibly waste 8 seconds of your time preventing a possible wipe?

Hang on. I've not really played since BC. Do pulls still go wrong every now and again? Or is everything so easy that using initiative really is that awful?

Pulling and aoe tanking is very easy these days, not a tenth as hard as it used to be for warriors for example. Pulls rarely ever go wrong and healers does never get aggro unless the dps are retards or the tank is bad.

/Hoff

Quote Originally Posted by Munk
    I dont know if your terrible at this game, dont speak english as your native language or are just stupid but a healers threat will only be a much as their ammount healed. If you happen to see a healer that pulled threat between your initial pull and your next youre not generating enough threat. A healer only generates threat based on healing done, not on overhealing so again this whole thread loops back to that you clearly arent a great tank and are looking for some way to soothe your bruised ego since you have been failing at your job.

Quote Originally Posted by Munk
    What?.... what? When I first pull I can hit up to 3 mobs with avengers shield. That means I have 0 threat against the other mobs yet I have aggro. If the healer shields, heals someone damaged from the last fight, or does ANYTHING at all that creates threat the mobs will change target to him. It isn't complicated.
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

ofcourse, but as a priest you got fade and here is the things that makes tanking easy:
    Warrior: Thunderclap
    Paladin: Concentrate
    Druid : Swipe

it's a instant aggro taking whatever if the tank is good enough

dks can army of the dead on bosses cause they wont aggro from tank but they shouldnt use d and d even if they are unholy