Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Bringing back the 40 man raids: Good or bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    Hell, hardmodes put sunwell to shame. They really do.
    I believe it was Ensidia who said(And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 90% sure it was them) "Firefighter was the hardest fight I have ever seen. I would even say harder than M'uru pre-nerf."

Now, if FF was that hard, what does that make Yogg+0, which was thought IMPOSSIBLE. And not impossible in the C'thun sense, were it was impossible due to bugs. It was an actual extremely hard encounter.

No. 40mans were a total failure.
    specs

Intel Core i5-760@4.0GHz
    CM Hyper 212 cpu cooler
    GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
    Nvidia GTX 460
    4GB DDR3 1600 ram
    CM Storm Scout case

Everyone I've ever talked to who likes the idea of going back to 40 mans never actually did them.

40 mans sucked. The frustration/complexity of raiding is a polynomial function of the size of the raid...going from 25 to 40 makes a huge difference. Things take forever, someone's always AFK, it's harder to filter out crappy players, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05
    First off all let me say that is never going to happen, although I too am in favor of the 40man raids.

Like Krakmaster said, back in Vanilla you didn't really have any help from addons, people telling you what to spec and what rotation to use. So during 40man raids, in most guilds with medium progress, few(4-5, maybe little more) could die without causing a complete wipe. Nowadays in 25man you can sacrifice 1 or 2 DPS'. If a healer dies that usually ends up badly, I say usually, not always.

So what Blizzard did was, reduce the people you have to manage, in order to keep them alive. The fewer people, the fewer mistakes. And again, as Krakmaster said, with the use of addons, forum community and all kind of "Please, tell me how much DPS I will do with <X> item" websites you can be sure that almost everyone can handle their task.

And by the way, about the complexity of the raids - nothing in the game is hard, just because people don't pay attention and die to avoidable things (any kind of either AE or target spell) doesn't mean the game is hard.

Well, people didnt read up on "rotations" in vanilla, cus there werent any, a frost mage spammed frostbolt, a fire mage spammed fireball, a warlock had dots up and spammed shadowbolt, druids paladins shaman and priests didnt dps, rogues were probably the only class that required a lil thinking, but it was far from as complex as rotations are today.

And people had addons, heck the old decurse did everything for you, target and dispel, all you had to do was spam 1 button and you could dispel a whole raid with gcd speed.

Conquest had MC strats up fairly early.

The game werent any harder when it came to mods, 40 man raids means that your guilds recruitment problems just got alot worse, you end up with more retards and have to somewhat zerg recruit unless you're a top raiding guild, you'll then end up with 15 people who can't come to the raid cus it's already filled up, and out of thoose 15, 3-4 people will complain like there's no tomorrow for not coming.

Yeah, 40 man raids were more social, but that's about it, you couldnt kick the retards cus then you wouldnt have a raid.

15+ Year Old Account

We had a DPS warrior and Enhance shammy in classic. So tbh they werent ALL heals, but finding a guild willing to let you dps? Slightly hard.

We also had a shadow priest, for about a week before we forced him holy. He quit after healing for about 2 months, something about rerolling a mage or something.

I did 40man raiding, and I liked it a lot.
    When tbc came out I did the kara prequest as fast as I could and did some karazhan, I killed Gruul, then I stopped raiding for a looooooong time because:
    ZG equalent raids does not give an "epic feeling", they are fun to some extent but they weren't really what I was looking for in terms of raiding. Try soccer as 3vs3 or American Football as 2vs2 and you'll see what I mean.
    Getting epic items was not progression, it was a standart. I honestly liked epic items have en epic feeling to them. 40persons getting 3 vs. 10persons getting 3 and pvp practically handing them out for free.
    With that said, I'm not sure bringing them back would do much good. I think the people who loves "working" for progress is few and far between as opposed people who think raiding once every blue moon should award the same loot and experience.
    In my head, killing Illidan gave less sense of achievement and less epic feeling than doing vael(before threat meter came out).
    "He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool." — Brigham Young

lag
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltrollo View Post
    [/COLOR]

1. Ressing 39 people in Raggy's room because the graveyard is on the other side of the world was epic.
    2. Finding out that no healer was SS'd after a wipe was even more epic, since it took about 45 mins for everyone to run back to Raggy and, inevitably, half of the raid took this oportunity to take a brb-break, leading back to point #1.