Prot trinkets in TOC 10 and 25, what do u use and why?

First off i mainly tank pug 25s and some 10s, non hard mode for TOC.

i have 4 trinkets, the 2 brewfest 170 stam, and black heart and the toc 10 man dodge trinket with on use armor bonus. if i equip both stam trinkets i have 35k health unbuffed, if i equip the 2 trinkets with armor bonuses and extra dodge i lose about 2300 health. i see lots of tanks sporting both brewfest trinkets but i am not sure if they are really the best choice against hard hitting physical dmg mobs.

I am curious what others are using in TOC and why?
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

10+ Year Old Account

Re: Prot trinkets in TOC 10 and 25, what do u use and why?

i have a crap ton of trinkets, both brewfest, black heart, JC one (socketed stam) the ony trinket and the 10 man HM dodge trinket. I use them all based on different situations, however the ones I usually run for tanking bosses in 10 Hm are the 2 brewfest. I use them because I already have very high armor pre-devo / buffs (26,728) and I want the stam. With them I have 39.4k hp. I switch to the ony trinket and the 10 man HM dodge / armor trinket when I am on adds on anub.

Black heart / JC trinket are basically just sitting in my inventory atm, and i'm hoping for my Juggernaut's Vitality this week

"Stop," said a loud booming voice. And Rhonin turned around to see it was Bolvar Fordragon, but he was all burned up and shit. He took the helm from Tirion. "I can take no comfort anymore, in the world of the living, for Arthas has burned my genitals off. I shall bear the burden. I shall be the jailer of the damned." - Legendary Knaak Thread

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

The armor proc on The Black Heart is pretty awesome, and - for my gear at least - Rawr says it's much better than most other trinkets for survivability and mitigation. I use that along with the 245 version of Satrina's Impeding Scarab (Juggernaut's Vitality for Horde).

this is a matter of opinion/preference, but...

Beasts: Stam trinkets. Gormok does his little bleed during P1... there is no dodging or parrying a bleed, it just ticks. Also during P2 there's a lot of nature damage, so dodge/parry wont help much. When icehowl comes out, you'd probably rather wear some avoidance/mit trinkets, but by then it's too late to switch. :P

Jaraxxus: Depends whether you're tanking the boss or tanking the adds. Chances are you'd get a bigger benefit from Stam cause of all the fire damage going on during the fight.

Champs: Stam probably. Dodge/parry won't give much benefits on this fight. Then again, neither would stam trinkets assuming you're a tank. You could do this fight, and as long as you know how to keep stuff taunted (on normal, not heroic), you should be fine. Could do it without trinkets if you wanted to...

Twins: Some people would say Stam cause of all the spell damage going on (orbs), but I like avoidance on this fight. The twins hit hard and if you can reduce damage done to you from the boss, you will be less of a mana-sponge to the healers. That, plus if they don't have to heal you, they can heal someone else. Chances are one of the dps will get hit by the orb before it gets to you, anyways. So I vote for avoidance trinkets on this one.

Anub: Depends... Avoidance for Normal. But probably Stam for Heroic. Avoidance is nice on normal mode cause if the boss doesnt hit you that much, most of the time you will be topped off before the iceblock hits. Therefore the iceblock shouldnt be much of a threat. On heroic mode tho... I definitely can't say the same thing. I havent done Hero Anub yet, but I would assume he hits like a truck, so an Iceblock + a 30k blow COULD mean a wipe. I'd wear stam for that.
    “Bunter is like Voltron, except he’s just one guy instead of a pack of lions.”

Been a full time tank the whole wotlk all the way to H-anub.. i would say that stam is not that good of stats anymore..

The main reason stam stacking use to be insanely good in the past is because touch by light use to convert stam to SP which is no longer the case. it talent has cause some imbalances in pvp prot/holy and cause stam to becomes both aggro and survability attribute.

the change into the talent + recent nerfs in righteous fury as well as some other aggro talent has really affect tank that handles guildies which HUGE dps.

my favorite trinket ATM is either the heart of iron + 218 stam/onyxia trinket with the exception of H-anub tanking. The main reason people starts to stack def rating beyond cap is defense reduce the chance of u GETTING HIT and critically hit. this works for everything including bosses spells missing on u.

For H-anub it really comes down to stacking TONs and TONSSS of BV+BR gear so favorite trinket is the HVH lavathor talisman . Shield tanks are usually assigned to tanking the adds which spawn permanently and they actually hit really low (4-6k) on heroic-anub but gives a debuff that increase the amount taken by 500%. Ff u can actually block the 4k-6k all together , the debuff that increase melee damage taken is technically useless given the adds hits u for 0 damage. ( 500% of 0 damage is still 0)

Last but not least it all comes down to raid composition. MTs usually have more stam that avoidance because H-TOC is design to do massive damage suddenly but not constant. Comparing my experience tanking algalon to H-toc.. algalon hits harder than gromok in H-toc.

Accession 8/8 US 5th, world 22nd (25man) recruiting for all classes for MoP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cardolan
    The armor proc on The Black Heart is pretty awesome, and - for my gear at least - Rawr says it's much better than most other trinkets for survivability and mitigation. I use that along with the 245 version of Satrina's Impeding Scarab (Juggernaut's Vitality for Horde).
    These are the same two trinkets that I use for tanking. As for the Black Heart and Rawr, Rawr loves armor. So much so that if you look at the best items you can get on Rawr, they will have the highest armor, with armor procs, and armor enchants. That's why Rawr digs Black Heart. Rawr has a hard-on for the sexy armor proc.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

HToGC is all about stam stam stam stam stam stam

Quote Originally Posted by anthell
    Been a full time tank the whole wotlk all the way to H-anub.. i would say that stam is not that good of stats anymore..

The main reason stam stacking use to be insanely good in the past is because touch by light use to convert stam to SP which is no longer the case. it talent has cause some imbalances in pvp prot/holy and cause stam to becomes both aggro and survability attribute.
    That was never why stamina stacking was great, it was a bonus. Why else would every other tank also be stacking stam?

Stacking Stamina is great because it increases Ardent Defender range, makes you less likely to die from unavoidable spike damages (Impale, Headbutt, Ball asplosions, Anub's stun etc), and makes you generally more reliable to heal. Oh and also increases the effect of JoL.

I use 2 stamina trinkets for all progress content. It's the best option. The math is over at maintankadin.failsafedesign.com for things like this, I suggest the OP checks it out

T9 equipped people using 2 brewfest 170 trinkets is the most sad sign of stam > common sense since frost resistence plate was used for tanking in early wrath.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    T9 equipped people using 2 brewfest 170 trinkets is the most sad sign of stam > common sense since frost resistence plate was used for tanking in early wrath.
    In my case, I replace one of them with The Black Heart for flat out physical fights (like Anub).

I would be using Satrina's Vitality, Heart of Iron, that kind of thing. But I don't own them. So it's a choice between a small bit of avoidance, or a large chunk of health. The avoidance trinkets won't help on twins explosions/balls, Gormok's impales, Anub's stun, incidental fire on Jaraxxus, or in fact anything on Faction Champs really.

I hate the fact that I'm using dual Brewfest trinkets, but out of the trinkets I've acquired, they're the best option for the majority of fights in ToC.

Black heart (Active mitigation proc and stam? Yes please)

And Fevor of the Frostborne (ToC Faction champ trinket), not my favorite, but it has acted as a nice boost in sticky situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

15+ Year Old Account

I use Satrina Scarab and Black Heart for stam and nice proc on Black Heart. However, had I got the Heart of Iron from Ignis 25, I would use that in place of Black Heart. It's got more stam and a nice use effect, but mainly becasue of the significant Stam upgrade, because as someone already pointed out 25ToGC is all about stam baby.

I have others too and could use brewfest trinkets but their lack of procs or use effects makes them crappy for most fights. I also have Ony trinket, its lack of stam holds me back from using it more often.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Quote Originally Posted by Copain

And Fevor of the Frostborne (ToC Faction champ trinket), not my favorite, but it has acted as a nice boost in sticky situations.
    I actually use that in my unhittable set, since I don't have the Onyxia trinket.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

There are some dumb paladins, and prot paladins in this thread.

1) Stam > everything else (except for gimic fights)

a) Because Stam for paladins is the second best scaling wise behind a druid.

b) It isnt on a Diminishing Return

c) Makes AD stronger,

d) Effective Health is how one has to gear for progression boss fights.

e) Anyone in full 245 gear should bc at 63% + avoidance fully raid buffed with the libram proc up. So you theoretically should not take 2 back to back hits, plus we are the only tank where our BV is and should be counted as effective Health.

2) There are no good Avoidance trinkets out there with a worthwhile secondary effect except for the iLevel 200 badge one, and the armor one from 10man Ignis. But even then they are sujbect to DR.

Moral of the story, aside from personal pref, because DR will only get worse non DR stats > DR stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Evereghalo
    There are some dumb paladins, and prot paladins in this thread.

1) Stam > everything else (except for gimic fights)

a) Because Stam for paladins is the second best scaling wise behind a druid.

b) It isnt on a Diminishing Return

c) Makes AD stronger,

d) Effective Health is how one has to gear for progression boss fights.

e) Anyone in full 245 gear should bc at 63% + avoidance fully raid buffed with the libram proc up. So you theoretically should not take 2 back to back hits, plus we are the only tank where our BV is and should be counted as effective Health.

2) There are no good Avoidance trinkets out there with a worthwhile secondary effect except for the iLevel 200 badge one, and the armor one from 10man Ignis. But even then they are sujbect to DR.

Moral of the story, aside from personal pref, because DR will only get worse non DR stats > DR stats.

Paladins and Prot Paladins both really fall under the same catagory... so...what?

Stam Does NOT out do everything. This is a commen mistake for those who just like seeing big numbers. It is true that you can get boost for it, and it and such, but it is not the end all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

15+ Year Old Account

While Stam is not the end all be all stat, it will take you further than anything else, which is why it is preferred over anything else on almost all fights. Certain fights it is irrelavent what your HP is, but for the majority of fights, stacking stam is what you want to do. Especially for HM stuff.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Copain
    Paladins and Prot Paladins both really fall under the same catagory... so...what?

Stam Does NOT out do everything. This is a commen mistake for those who just like seeing big numbers. It is true that you can get boost for it, and it and such, but it is not the end all.
    Funny your critique fails to offer any alternative?

You say I am wrong and you can only make fun of me saying paladins and prot paladins. Which I maintain there is possibility to make subtle distinction, but still you say I am wrong, yet you offer no alternative.

WTB + and - for these forums.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Eurytos
    While Stam is not the end all be all stat, it will take you further than anything else, which is why it is preferred over anything else on almost all fights. Certain fights it is irrelavent what your HP is, but for the majority of fights, stacking stam is what you want to do. Especially for HM stuff.
    Agreed,

thats what I said too.