Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Cunning Pet for MM Hunter?

I been looking at Cunnings stat tree, and while, it is namely built for PvP. It does seem to have a few useful PvE Features, like restoring 30% of your mana, causing less Vipers, and a 16% extra damage on targets with 35% Health.

The MM Hunters Pet does usually about 10% DPS, and with the Cunning, it does about the same.

If you put aside Wolves, and the Ferocity Tree being built for DPS. Could you see a Cunning Pet inside a raid being useful with a MM/Surv Hunter?

Re: Cunning Pet for MM Hunter?

Tallstriders are cunning pets, are they not? The miss chance they give can be theoretically very useful in a raid, but only if used very wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Tallstriders are cunning pets, are they not? The miss chance they give can be theoretically very useful in a raid, but only if used very wisely.
    Learn your Pet Family's, Tallstriders are Ferocity. The one miss every 45 secs isn't useful at all btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    Learn your Pet Family's, Tallstriders are Ferocity. The one miss every 45 secs isn't useful at all btw.
    For some reason thought they were cunning, didn't bother to check. :P I've never used one, always thought they were rather ugly.

If you time Dust Cloud right it can be, nice for trash and on some boss adds. Plus the fact that it's a Ferocity pet means nice damage overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondmorfar
    censor = cookies (for bannable purposes)

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    For some reason thought they were cunning, didn't bother to check. :P I've never used one, always thought they were rather ugly.
    You've never owned a Pink Flamingo... you have no soul.

But seriously, back to the Topic of the Thread.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Daginni
    You've never owned a Pink Flamingo... you have no soul.

But seriously, back to the Topic of the Thread.
    Tbh hes just trying to help you. I use a ravager myself and am survival, but i don't think pet useage is different from MM. My pet's damage is about the same as the wolf i got which is ferocity.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

I use a winged serpent from Zul drak as my pet mostly for the 30% mana regen, if i recall correctly it said on elitistjerks it's the highest dps pet in that family, I rarely use viper with this pet even in 25 man toc on the 3 boss fight (forget the name soz lol)
    "Your opinion is like an asshole, I don't need to hear it"
    "Just coz it's wrong, doesn't mean it ain't right"
    "The problem with non conformists is they’re all the same."

Get a pally for judgement of wisdom, never need mana again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Personally, on my Hunter when I go BM and Dps with one of my cunning pets(I say multiple because cunning seriously has the coolest looking pets.

Anyways, Snake and for exotic, Silithid. Snake has a fun poison dot that also provides an anti-casting debuff(+25% casting speed), and gets constant uptime with BM. But I find my Silithid deals utterly insane damage. It's something in their special ability's dot according to recount.

Of course, the silithid will have the downside that every woman/girl in a raid will complain about your huge and creepy ADHD bug.

Quote Originally Posted by allforone
    Anyways, Snake and for exotic, Silithid. Snake has a fun poison dot that also provides an anti-casting debuff(+25% casting speed), and gets constant uptime with BM. But I find my Silithid deals utterly insane damage. It's something in their special ability's dot according to recount.
    What are your dps numbers like for Silithid vs Wolf? Both the pet's dps alone, and your combined pet/player dps?
    Also, you should really look forward to the Wolverine Bite upgrade as it should boost your bug's dps as well ^^

Quote Originally Posted by allforone
    Of course, the silithid will have the downside that every woman/girl in a raid will complain about your huge and creepy ADHD bug.
    I'm a women and I love that bug.

On topic, I think the biggest difference is when the pet overdoes the damage increase caused by 320 AP (wolf; 20sec with 40sec CD) and/or the 10% AP increase from CotW (20sec with 5 min CD).
    That means Howl is up 1/2 of the time and CotW 1/15 of the time.

Edit: bolded some of the main points like a textbook

Quote Originally Posted by Chrizesu
    On topic, I think the biggest difference is when the pet overdoes the damage increase caused by 320 AP (wolf; 20sec with 40sec CD) and/or the 10% increase from CotW (20sec with 5 min CD).
    That means Howl is up 1/2 of the time and (CotW) 1/15 of the time.
    This is a very good point, and it's the main reason that wolves have become the default raiding pet regardless of spec. IMO, there should be at least 3 raid worthy pets, probably 2x ferocity and 1x cunning as tenacity is not meant to be a dps pet spec. The main reason we can tame so many different types of beasts is to provide a bit of variety but using anything other than a wolf is unacceptable in endgame in many players' eyes.

Anyone else up for petitioning blizz to change cunning 16pt talent from Roar of Sacrifice (which is a retread from tenacity anyway) into something unique that preferably boosts dps in some way? XD

Quote Originally Posted by deadman80
    Anyone else up for petitioning blizz to change cunning 16pt talent from Roar of Sacrifice (which is a retread from tenacity anyway) into something unique that preferably boosts dps in some way? XD
    I'm all for that.

Also if the wolf had a different ability it would stop a lot of the bias for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrizesu
    I'm all for that.

Also if the wolf had a different ability it would stop a lot of the bias for it.
    Furious Howl should be a Ferocity talent, and Call of the Wild should replace Roar of Sacrifice in Cunning.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Quote Originally Posted by Rilgon
    Furious Howl should be a Ferocity talent, and Call of the Wild should replace Roar of Sacrifice in Cunning.
    My point was to replace RoS with something new/unique instead of just reusing another tree's ability :-/ Maybe an ability that actually healed the hunter? (@_@;; /drool at that thought) I think something like that would make cunning more viable in general, though I would imagine especially in PVP.

I don't agree that FH should be a Ferocity talent, mainly since it has so much "wolf" flavor to it... The only solution I would care for would be either a buff to numerous other pets in order to match the dps contribution of the wolf, or a nerf of FH. Ideally, they would buff all other pets to bring them inline with the dps that wolves bring, but that isn't too likely unfortunately QQ

I don't understand why they don't just bring back the stat bonuses to pets based on spec :-/
    It makes sense that a tenacity pet would have more innate HP than a cunning, and that ferocity would innately do more damage... What doesn't make sense is why a pet that only auto-attacks and focus dumps is able to put out more overall dps than one with a damage dealing family ability.

IMO: Buff all ferocity family abilities to bring them up to par with FH.

Quote Originally Posted by deadman80
    IMO: Buff all ferocity family abilities to bring them up to par with FH.
    Not possible due the scaling nature of AP for most things.

FH needs to be a talented ability (a la Thunderstomp). Pretty much only way they'll ever break the Wolf dominance in raiding.

Theres a lot of hunter PvPers that would really hate it if you took RoS out of the cunning tree.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Quote Originally Posted by VonGimli
    Theres a lot of hunter PvP
    </care>

Quote Originally Posted by VonGimli
    Theres a lot of hunter PvPers that would really hate it if you took RoS out of the cunning tree.
    </agree>

I like my spider having RoS; has saved my Priest in 5s a few times.