15+ Year Old Account

Qestion for pre BC warlocks: Doom

Alright I have been around this game since BC started and just recently decided to lvl a warlock and absolutely love it. One of the biggest reasons I started one is because one day i was in crossroads and this lock came out of nowhere and let his Infernal loose on the town. Funniest shit ever.

Anyways about a week ago I was looking at Fallanman's raid spec post and noticed under the Aff build he listed pet as DG. Previous to this I had never ever seen a lock with a Doomguard pet an now i find out it has pretty much the same enslave mechanics as the infernal.

My question is this: Where the hell did it go? I never ever see it in raids, BGs, Cities, nothin. After i did the questline for mein I determined that this is the baddest mother fucker in the game and for the life of me can not understand why it is not used, also why a lot of warlocks whisper me asking wtf is that.

Where did its popularity go?
    Why did it lose favor?
    Why doesnt the sacrafice aspect of the summon scale past 60?(it no longer killes one summoner)
    And why does it take 5 people that think is a healthstone then click it and leave thus snuffing the summon?

Re: Qestion for pre BC warlocks: Doom

doom guard is pretty much useless in all specs except affliction and with the fel pup buffs next patch might even be useless for aff, looks awsome though. It also enslaves on summon and has a 15min timer and a 30 mins CD so most locks dont even really bother because its to much trouble for minmal gains, lastly id say 90% of locks are destro atm just because that is the only one that can really compete when raiding, correct me if im wrong

Doomguard was useless in BC, firstly because everyone was Destro/Sac. and second because he wasn't lvl 70.
    In Wotlk hes unuseable in Arenas,hes useable in BGs and its fun, but hes on a 30 minute CD and costs reagents. In PvE Demo has Felguard which is better because of proccs and Destro has Imp which is also better because of proccs. Only Affliction can use him to buff dps, but hes on a 30 min CD and goes away after you die. Maybe he becomes even useless for Affliction in 3.3, dont know.

Both can be fun in BGs, world pvp, and WG.... thats about it for now. It would be nice to see some minor glyphs removing the need for reagents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehlkatur
    I have died some times for just blinking away from balls and straight in to another pair of balls.
    Nerf teabagging!

From a Demonology perspective, the biggest reason it is never used is because the Demonic Knowledge talent as well as any other demon/warlock buffing talents don't apply. It seems very stupid to me that a spec which is supposed to center around the summoned demon gains no benefit from what should arguably be the most powerful demon in a Warlock's arsenal.

Moreover, the changes to both the Doomguard and Infernal make them useless to set them loose on towns or cities, which quite honestly was half the fun to begin with. The Doomguard and Infernal are automatically summoned enslaved, and the Infernal simply dies once the enslavement duration expires. Blizzard has steadily made changes to these two demons to remove any use other than gimmick situations.

It's a real shame.

I used to try and think of unique circumstances where one or the other could really be beneficial, and the only situation I could conceive was dropping an Infernal on Heigan during the dance phase after seeing a Shadowfiend stay up there slowly wacking away at him. Depending on timing, it was hit or miss, but still doesn't merit the use of the Infernal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nahte View Post
    You're not supposed to catch Missingno.

Most warlocks were rolled as "FOTM" in the Burning Crusade and had never even heard of doomguards, that's why you get whispers from Warlock about it.

Also at 70 the doomguard was the shit. You could play "Wheel of death" in raids. It was the shit.
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

Summoning the doomguard is a ritual that takes 5 people to click the portal. The portal then does about 6-8k damage to one of the summoners (at 60, this would kill anyone but a well-geared tank). At 60, the doomguard appeared un-enslaved, and the damage could in fact target the warlock. So you'd have this demon running around wild after insta-gibbing the summoner; it was awesome. Then they changed is so that the damage wouldn't target the warlock, and hp went up but the damage never scaled, and they also made it appear enslaved. Took all the fun out of it.

You might see a doomguard in raids occasionally now, but that is because if CoD kills a target it creates one. It's pretty rare though.

I killed Dreadscale with a CoD. I was like... well he's summoned, let's enslave him and play with Icehowl for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarou
    I killed Dreadscale with a CoD. I was like... well he's summoned, let's enslave him and play with Icehowl for a while.
    I can never time it right D:
    Hide behind a little Bloodelf Paladin?!? Ridiculous! Make way for the Beef of Light! I will shield you, little ones, and should I fall, remember that I taste amazing with Mustard.

10+ Year Old Account

Had one spawn when my CoD did the killing blow on XT the other night but the rest of the raid killed it before I got a chance to enslave it... :'(

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

When I got my Doomguard spell (during TBC; didn't start playing until then) I used to joke it was the worst spell in the game - used only as a party favor.

You had to do a quest chain to get it; it took a reagent; it took five people to cast - one of which would die; the minion summoned had to be enslaved; the minion was weak (compared to other minions). Not the optimal solution...

Now? As mentioned earlier, demo 'locks lose too many benefits to bother... but it's at least not completely worthless.

As other say, its worse..
    however in WSG it can be lots of fun because it cripples, stuns and got some nicez HP.
    Just put it on aggressive and hide for a few mins.
    People never bother killing a pet, witch is pretty nice because this pet doesn't die that easy.
    Its stun and kills a lot.. but again, you can do better.

Sad blizz doesnt make it a 1 hour pet and the enslaved one a 15/30 min pet with minor stats increase.
    We have to do a lot of work just to get some..crabby asome looking pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarou

While questing in Terrokar (I Think) I was fighting that big elite spider solo, and threw CoD on her. It killed her, I was at low health and the Dg killed me. It was a sad day...