Thread: Meta Spec

15+ Year Old Account

Meta Spec

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but I'm thinking about rolling 0/56/15 for the first time just to have some fun and learn the spec. I'm curious as to what glyphs I should use and what the casting sequence should be.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#IZbG0hkAdihsgdAoE00VNT

Also, let me know if I should spec differently. I think I got it right though. Was thinking LT glyph, Meta Glyph, and Felguard glyph?

Re: Meta Spec

it's a fail spec, cause you NEED 5 points spent in the Ruin talent.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by andateyke
    it's a fail spec, cause you NEED 5 points spent in the Ruin talent.
    Yeah, just noticed that. It's fixed.

15+ Year Old Account

All of the following changes in 3.3, so heads up

Meta glyph, Felguard, and Life Tap (Thanks Merk!)
    Cast Immolate, Corruption, Agony, and spam shadow bolt
    Blow meta every cooldown, and use Immolation Aura
    Blow demonic empowerment every cooldown

At 35% or lower, cast Shadow Bolt x 2, Soul Fire, Repeat.
    Continue to keep all dots up.
    Continue to use DE and Meta.

If you are at 28+ yards you can cast Shadow Bolt x 1, Soul Fire, Repeat, but you have to walk out to that range due to immolation aura use. Pick one or the other, and stick with it.

I use immolation aura on add fights (Everything in TOC except Beasts) and stick with 1:1 Soul Fire weaving on single target bosses (Beasts, most of Ulduar)

R.I.P. YARG

glyph of lifetap, felguard and meta

spell priority is - CoD, corruption, immolate, CoA (when less than 60s on the fight) shadowbolt is filler. Assuming you are at the right range to the boss to get 1:1 SF/SB weaving for the 35% decimation phase, keep immo up and don't worry about the other dots. If you can't do 1:1 for whatever reason or have to move, keep corr and CoA up.

Great advice! I have just spent the night raiding as demo for the first time and my dps was pretty impressive, these points should help even more.

One thought about macros though. The great thing about demo is the fact it is based around cooldowns. Since alot of modern fights require certain mechanics such as target switching, it can often be confusing whether or not to use your cooldowns when they come up or use them selectively. I have worked with a friend to devise the following macros:

My shadow bolt is set to 4. I would make a macro that binds shadow bolt to demonic empowerment. Since it is on a short cooldown then it can be used every time due to frequent use of shadow bolt.

If you have an on use trinket, then binding meta to this trinket is a good idea. Otherwise, just keep meta on it's own as a seperate key binding.

The idea is, i would have meta on my action bar to watch the cooldown, and i would use the second macro as soon as it is off cooldown for every boss you know you don't need to selectively use cooldowns (Such as Koralon or Patchwerk). On fights which require burn phases such as the mistress on Jaraxxus or the enraged add on Emalon, as meta is bound to a seperate button i can judge the situation and either save it for these phases or just use it every cooldown for the tank n' spank bosses.

I am going to try this out and see how it goes. If anyone has any tips regarding this then by all means say so. This is also general advice for the OP as well to maximise performance.

Also, regarding the 35% execute phase, i was also wondering whether to keep dots up and i haven't been, so i'll start doing it. Also, will positioning yourself for the 1:1 weave allow your immolation aura to reach the boss also? And is this better than standing back and doing 2:1 soulfire, and not risking getting into melee range for aggro purposes? Alot of bosses such as Gormok for example, don't allow this anyway due to the interrupt.

This post is a copy and paste from a previous thread, similar to what you just made (go back two pages you'll find it)

This was a reply to someone in a similar situation, new to demo and learning the ropes lookin for tips etc...

I see you just made a post about macro's, below is the post i made about macro's I have been using for a while now in ToTGC 25 man, workin wonders on anub atm hittin some nice numbers. I suggest you adapt some of the macro's into your own personal preferences.

So whats the the most important thing about demo in raids apart from you staying alive? As much as we all would like to say its not pDPS, we wont be able to hit the massively high numbers unless you manage to have your haste close to the GCD cap it will be very hard to sustain high pDPS on single target fights. Although is possible ofc

The most important thing for a demo locks is making sure your pet not only stays alive but maintains that loveable buff that ~65% of your raid will need, irst night I was ever demo was on heroic beasts 25 man and have to say I had my problems..

Macro 1:

Popping DE without it being macro'd wastes a GCD, so first thing I done was macro this to my main nuke which is shadow bolt;

#showtooltip Shadow Bolt
    /use [pet:Felguard] [pet:imp] Demonic Empowerment
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
    /use Shadow Bolt

Wont waste a GCD and is imo the most efficient way of keeping DE up.

Macro 2:

What happens when your pet dies? would you keybind fel dom + summon FG seperately? sure thats ok when your on a test dummy but god is it a nightmare when your FG dies and you have to move out of the fire at the same time as trying to get him back... no matter how good you are aware of your FG's position/bosses inc abilities you will always find a time where it will just get pwned..

#showtooltip Immolate
    /cast [nopet] Fel domination
    /cast [nopet] Summon Felguard
    /use Immolate

Macro'd this into my immolate, which is a dot I keep up 100% of the fight on the boss so if my pet dies it will be almost instantly summoned back into combat... it hasnt failed me the 3 times it has died

My last pet macro is just a very basic pet attack/follow macro

Macro 3:

/petfollow
    /petattack [harm]

However imo its the best macro I use

Likes of twins heroic getting it to switch target is very easy once i have it keybound, or jaraxxus... portals/volcanoes on heroic its awesome to get the FG to dps the target

Last macro I use is for metamorphosis

Ive macro'd all the abilities I use with meta into one, i.e. meta form/charge/immo aura

Macro 4:

#showtooltip
    /cast [modifier:alt] Immolation Aura(Demon)
    /cast [nomodifier] Demon Charge(Demon
    /cast [nomodifier] Metamorphosis

Hit the macro once = meta, second time = charge, alt + hit the macro again = immo aura

Feel free to give any constructive criticism btw

most of the macro's are edits for personal preference from wowwiki macros's

Hope this helps
    Edit: Dont be silly having your meta on your bars aswell as your meta macro, download a cd addon like forte and put the CD bar below your binds or wherever they dont get in the way but are easy to see