Poll: What class would you choose to maintank if they were all equally skilled/geared?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Prefered tank class

warrior

singel target thread is potentionally the highest & survivability is good - but mainly because sunder armor is such an uber-good raid support

As survival, I'll go for paladin, since they are easiest to play well, and thats why PuGs don't fck up easily 2nd would be druid.
    But if playing as MM , the answer is warrior. The sunders are very noticeable help as physical dps.

My favorite tank at the moment is a Prot Warrior. Not squishy at all, lots of lovely CDs to pop when shit hits the fan, and they run in the middle of the group which is what a TANK is supposed to do.

I switched to WoW from City of Heroes where I played tanks extensively -- anyone who has played both games and both roles there will recognize the difference (CoH veteran coming to WoW: "What do you mean I need a healer?"/WoW veteran going to CoH: "Hehehehehehehehehe"). So I was already behind the curve of having to accept that "tank" actually means "jeep" or "humvee" in Azeroth.

But I wanted to make it work. I levelled a Prot Paladin, and now DK tank. Both are *still* works in progress, but I've already mentally written off the DK. You know what, it's not the survivability, it's the threat. Paladin snap-threat just decides the issue for me. I plan on trying all four flavors of tank* and I'm working on my Bear now, but I've seen all four in action, and with the exception of the odd well-played bear or warrior**, I don't see evidence in the game right now that there's a reason to tank with something other than a Paladin.

A) best snap threat
    B) less vulnerable to the forthcoming CotT
    C) high level AOE tanking without sacrificing MT durability

*I wish it was five flavors -- a friend in another guild says that you "used to could" tank with Enhancement in vanilla, and it's a shame that you can't still. A tanking set up that depended on totems and self-buffing would be cool.

** Disappointingly, WoW seems to reward gear far more than it rewards skill, both in the game's mechanics and in the game's community (gearscore cultists who don't seem to notice there's no gearscore for "knows what they are doing" and "isn't a douchebag").

Infact forget Dk tanking, WHERE IS PANZERKINS? ;D

15+ Year Old Account

pala > druid/dk > warrior

either our warriors on the server are crap or warriors are glasscannons like shit. never seen ANY tanking class dying THAT fast on northrend beasts hc (25) the first boss...

10+ Year Old Account

Sure, I'm biased playing a paladin tank but I have do understand the need for different tanks for different situations. I prefer to main tank but will pass it off when I feel a warrior or druid can do a better job on that encounter. I did not say death knight because we do not have a consistent DK tank and are not as experienced with them.
    Only 2 things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe - Albert Einstein

Warrior, best tank in the game from a dps standpoint.

Deleted

Paladin, definately.. although a good, skilled warrior is roughly equal.

Paladins just have so much passive abilities and defences, it leaves less room for error.

Voted DK since it's the only tank ive used and has proved to do the job in every raid so far whether it's Blood MT or Frost OT.. Or even Frost MT.
    Omén, Human Mage - Blade's Edge EU.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blade%27s+Edge&n=Om%C3%A9n

I voted Warrior cause that's what i am but i must say, i feel very confortable tanking / off tanking with a Pally.

I had a pally and bear tank both geared and I could tank fine with both. I guess the preferred tank class for me is what I'm playing since I don't trust many other tanks, however for AoE threat the pally is definitely easier. Single target the bear has plenty of CDs and ample threat with the right macros.

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly
    Feels like this is gonna be the thread where all tank classes are gonna vote for their own class .
    Feels like this is gonna be the thread where most people vote for paladins so that at the end paladins win and this turns into a "nerf paladins they are so imba and superior and so easy to play" topic.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

i play dk for awhile so i voted for them since everyone say they suck, i tank 25man TOC (doesn't say much really) with a DK tank haven't had any problems tanking,it's all about skill, so i wish there was a any option,
    paladins do have the best snap aggro good cd's but man they are boring lol, druids are ok and warrior's are meh
    i quoted chex!

/brofist

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    Feels like this is gonna be the thread where most people vote for paladins so that at the end paladins win and this turns into a "nerf paladins they are so imba and superior and so easy to play" topic.
    Good idea mate.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

I personally enjoy a good warrior tank or a druid. I see far too many pallies because, I will admit, they are slightly OP tank-wise atm. I think removing their self LoH will help even that out a bit. Also, I see far too many bad players rolling a paladin and then trying to tank and thinking they are awesome because they are a paladin tank and can hold aggro on trash, but then we get to a boss, DPS actually gets time to pick up real damage, scrub pally loses aggro and we get rolled because he's freaking out not knowing what happened.

Our OT is a pally, and he is very good, I am just not a fan of paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    I don't think you have to worry about that too much. GC has hinted in the past that there's a long standing prejudice in the community against non-warrior tanks. I think as a result he's happy to see the each of the non-warriors be a bit OP for a while, so that people stop expecting them to suck. If warriors were OP they'd be nerfed immediately, but DKs were OP for ages, and were only nerfed very gradually.

I expect the same with Pallies. They'll be allowed to remain OP for a bit, then they'll get a little nerf, then another. They'll drip little nerfs till the advantage is gone - it won't be a sudden brutal mugging with the nerf bat.

Update: I would select a different option, if gearing and skill level the same, I would bring the tank with the most "class". As in the one who worked best with the team, and that you could run things with for years to come, not the one who you need a break from after each raid.

While I have been MT for BC and WOTLK 25man content for 2 guilds, I have been War, DK , and Pally. ICC it could be druid time (step aside since we have some other pallies wanting to step up and further diversify our tank corps), but this poll overgeneralizes Tanks as if its all tank and spank with no special requirements. Its when you factor in the additional tools one brings into the fight , that for many bosses are not required its easy to push one tank over the other.

For me Ardent Defender Procs extremely rarely unless its already a wipe, but folks complaining greatly that its a free life, for that to happen you have many other issues in Raid like distracted healers or ones who dont understand they damage intake of a tank.

When mentioning equal gear and skill. The only variable left out is the boss your facing. I rather not take a 1 size fits all thought and focus our guild tanks to be able to work together in what ever combination makes the fights easier.

So isn't it best to lineup the tank strengths to the encounter and work as a team? I fear for a pally tank heavy guild or a single type of tank heavy guild. Hopefully we will have Fear type bosses, Mobility fights, Add fights, and a mix of everything so each tank can shine and others are challenged to do the same. But all in all the player controlling that means the most to any class.

4 Tanks we use
    Blood DK / Blood dps (Just retired)
    Prot Pld / Ret
    Prot Pld / Holy
    Prot War / Fury

With backup for OT types , 1 PLD 1 DK 1 War.

I've voted death knight but truely depends on the fight...
    patchwerk would be a druid imo but Koralon would be an unholy DK for the massive magic dmg reduction