Druid tanking in PvP gear

I dont know has anyone tried this yet or suggested it. It came up my mind few days ago and I was wondering what u think about it.

So, full relentless + non sets + relentless wep. ALOT of stamina. I'll miss some dodge from neck / back / rings. Doubt there will be big problems with threat. Anything else I missed?

This way seems really effective for ICC where stamina will be more appreciated.

Opinions?

Re: Druid tanking in PvP gear

No.

If you will have enough hit and expertise this should work.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by blizzy
    No.
    Thanks for being useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Entu
    If you will have enough hit and expertise this should work.
    This. I've seen druids tank just fine in PvP gear already.

Yes, it is a viable option.
    PVP gear has high amounts of agi and sta on it. But I wouldn't change your tank rings/necks/backs for the PVP equivalents, as their only useful stat is sta (no agi).
    But as the item budget on resilience is spent, you will lose "secondary" stats, that you usually don't aim for, but pve gear simply has on it like haste, hit, arp and expertise. These stats help in threat issues, but to be honest I don't believe threat is a major problem anymore (contemporal pvp items also have a nice amount of ap).
    So except threat issues, and missing of usable set boni, I neither see a major advantage over equally itemleveled pve gear (its about 10-20 sta per item), nor a major disadvantage.

Neck,back and ring equals 150 hit (which still isnt enough but will do the job) Worried about expertise tho. :-\

Deleted

This was the one tank formula for Thorim. Thorim uses imbalancing strike which lowers your defense skill. Because druids with 400 def skill have a chance to receive a critical strike equal to 0 from talents, they don't need any special gear(like plate tanks have with def rating). So the defense lost from Thorim's imbalancing strike can be compensated with resilience to reach the 0 crit chance.

For other tanks it's a game of chance to solo tank thorim.

I doubt this will be viable in ICC because of the chill of the throne aura which will lower your parry and dodge and you will become a heal sponge. Maybe you can get enough dodge from agy of the pvp gear but i don't think this will be enough. So maybe you can do it, but allot of healers will sweat on their keyboards.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Stamina is deffinatly the big tank stat for all 4 at the moment, and pvp gear gives you just that.

Keep in mind you PVP gear lacks other stats - hit, expertise, crit all at the cost of resiliance (ustless stat for PvE druids), while it is ofcause better than entry level raiding gear and most early tier epics you might suffer with threat issuess.
    Wufflez - Paladin - DraenorEU

Quote Originally Posted by zahoan
    I doubt this will be viable in ICC because of the chill of the throne aura which will lower your parry and dodge and you will become a heal sponge. Maybe you can get enough dodge from agy of the pvp gear but i don't think this will be enough. So maybe you can do it, but allot of healers will sweat on their keyboards.
    Druids don't parry, and you won't find any leather armor with dodge on it. The only source for dodge (except tinkets/rings/necks/cloak) is agi, and there's plenty of agi on pvp stuff.

You should still be using the nonset Pve items tbh, and i think it is viable, however pve gear is more viable..

staff and helm threw legs yes. but dont use rings and neck, wear some high hit/exp gear in those slots. ive tanked like this since wrath on my druid alt, and pve gear can really compare in any of the other slots. no gear has more agi/stam. So if you can work out the exp/hit with gems or off pieces go for it.

your expertise will be very low and as ever pve items are typically better for pve, on the other hand if you do mainly PVP and the odd heroic/voa/ony pug you'll probably be ok tanking.

If resilience gave the flat damage reduction for all incoming attacks rather than those from players only it might be more viable for high end raiding, but Blizz probably dont want PVE tanks to feel like they need the latest arena gear to tank hard modes.

It was very viable in bc where resilience was cheap on item budget and a great way to get yourself crit immune as a druid. It is still viable though i would not recommend it. You loose TONS of threat and gain only little health over pve gear on same tier. And on top of that savage defense will suffer considerably. Its ok if you have nothing else around, but its certainly not first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by skylar1

This way seems really effective for ICC where stamina will be more appreciated.
    ICC will value avoidance more. This has been stated in the Blue post on tanking. If you think about it, the enemies will swing more often for less instead of slower harder. So the higher avoidance you have the easier it will be to heal you. The reason stamina is the highest value stat in ToC is because if you are getting hit for too much. With stam stacking it makes it so you can take 2 25k hits in case you do get unlucky and dont avoid one.

Stood in the Fire DaveTheHunter's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Pvp gear is actually some of the best tank gear you can get from a mitigation and survival standpoint. It should not be used to outright replace pve gear, but the simple fact is that pvp gear is great for druid tanks.

depends on where you are as far as raiding, I think the newest weapon might be an upgrade for me but that's it. So if you aren't doing htoc10 and reg toc25 then by all means go for it.

Thanks for opinions people.

So the good thing is.

Really alot of stamina, ill calculate how much more comparing to a Full t9 245 druid + totc 25 normal gear. Im not comparing to HC since my guild recently downed beasts HC. Got a raid now, later.

Bad thing

- maybe will lack threat
    - miss some dodge from non sets?

Also one more thing, im ms Moonkin, this will be like, in some cases when a lot of stamina is needed, or tanks missing. maybe later it gets more serious. who knows

15+ Year Old Account

You can compare the relentless set vs. the T9 set pretty easily... you get about 120 stam and 35 agi with the PvP gear... but you lose a boatload of expertise, hit, haste, armor pen, and AP. Those are enough to make me stick with the PvE gear alone, but then there's also the set bonus of the pve gear (esp 4pc), which is just too good to pass up.

Like it was said earlier -- if you don't have the current tier of pve gear, pvp gear is a valid choice. But comparing directly at the same ilvl, there's just too much item budget wasted on resilience. Resil was necessary and therefore not wasted in BC, which is why pvp gear was so good then, but now it's just useless.

I wouldn't use more than 5 pieces, but yeah it works fine. It's not better than gear from the current content though because of the wasted resilience allocation.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.