A better option then simply nerfing shadow word pain

Im not a tecky but wouldnt it have been better if blizzard would have just allowed shadow word pain to scale with haste like all other dots.

Then for them to fix the mindflay/pain and suffering bug so that mind flay refreshes current haste/crit stats for swp..

because the whole reason they nerfed swp is because we had the potentual to stack a ton of haste.. and use things like bloodlust and berserking with haste pots and on use trinket procs.. and glove tinkers to get a super machinegun hasted swp for the entire duration of a fight.

if you just fixed the mind flay/pain and suffering bug it would allow for use to utilize temporary haste buffs for the duration of the buffs.. and also would not be expliotable for an entire fight.

a good result of that fix would be that we could have on demand temporary damage bursts when we wanted them provided we planned for it.

seems to be an overall better choice instead of simply nerfing a skill into uselessness.

Re: A better option then simply nerfing shadow word pain

The whole point is that they can't make this change due to technical reasons. SW:P has been carrying buffs for it's entire duration (with the exception of some which I won't go into) since the begining of LK. Obviously it hasn't been a high priority to fix this or they wanted it to work this way and changing that because of the haste change is just too difficult.

So you can cry and take a stance that Blizzard are lazy or stupid or whatever. Or you can perhaps be a bit understanding and realise that Blizzard have more to do in WoW that look after the priest class and ensure every single mechanic, talent, spell works 100% how they want it to. As I illustrated in a previous post, worst case scenario is this removal of haste scaling affects us by under 200 DPS... i'm not really concerned.

you make a good point. but i remember the day when we were told that the technology to make our reflective shield work on other people did not exist.. however that was only after they removed our reflective shield from working on other people...

ya you can consider me sceptical of all of blizzards "cant do it" type stuff.

Actually reflective shield never worked on other people, that was the problem. They had a lot of technical issues with getting it to work so they simply changed the tooltip to reflect (excuse the pun) what it was actually doing.

I think we'll be more 'understanding' when we aren't doing 75% of the dps of other hybrids (well us and shaman). I don't even want to try and calculate what minuscule portion of the average mage's dps we're currently pulling. We desperately needed this buff. SW:P is weak, and has been for quite some time.

It's like Blizzard saying "well we were going to buff you because you badly needed it, but, due to technical limitations you will continue to suck for another content patch. We sincerely apologize for the incontinence...".

I guess you haven't been reading the calculations and tests. It's a nerf far beyond '200 dps'... And considering we're thousands of dps behind, yes, I'd be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sazabius
    I think we'll be more 'understanding' when we aren't doing 75% of the dps of other hybrids (well us and shaman). I don't even want to try and calculate what minuscule portion of the average mage's dps we're currently pulling. We desperately needed this buff. SW:P is weak, and has been for quite some time.

It's like Blizzard saying "well we were going to buff you because you badly needed it, but, due to technical limitations you will continue to suck for another content patch. We sincerely apologize for the incontinence...".

I guess you haven't been reading the calculations and tests. It's a nerf far beyond '200 dps'... And considering we're thousands of dps behind, yes, I'd be concerned.
    even with swp scaling properly and not locking in haste buffs for the duration, spriest dps is low

the problem is that our filler spell (mind flay) also does the most damage overall, but is a relatively weak "main" spell compared to other classes

i wish there was a nuke that had a CD and cast time that replaced every other double mf rotation

so in instead of refresh vt, mb, dp, mf3, mf3, mb, mf3, mf3, etc

we'd have a vt, mb, dp, "new spell", mb, mf3, mf3

a spell with a long enough cast time and a higher dps output than mb but a CD similar to mb so that mind flay was still useful

also, give us another +dmg glyph already, damn

it's not a 'nerf' if it never went live.

imagine your mom says 'im buying you a car.'
    you say 'really ?'
    your mom says 'nah lol'
    you wouldn't say 'gimmie my f'ing car back' would you ?

ptr is ptr

it ain't done yet.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit

you say 'really ?'
    your mom says 'nah lol'

ptr is ptr

it ain't done yet.
    Well it's more like your mom saying "I'm buying you a Ferrari!"
    You say "WoW!"
    The next day she shows up with a Prius...
    ... but point taken.

However I think testing is nearing completion. So whatever state spriests currently are at is how we'll be come 3.3, I don't see them making any more significant changes.

i suspect now that adding haste to dots (alongside the already existing addition of crit) is now firmly in their sights they will work on it because the underlying aim is to make haste and crit on gear apply to all the spells used by dot classes and therefore eliminate one of the major scaling headaches.

from my own PoV the obvious answer would seem to be to calculate tick dmg and the time to the next tick apon each tick (taking into account buffs at that moment)

some people seem to think programming is some form of black art with immutable obstacles within it and where you can only tweak what already exists.

it isn't.

if you can think it you can write the routine to do it.
    you can delete what was and replace it with what will be.

someone seriously needs to ask GC on the US forums if they are going to do so before 3.3 or leave it now til 4.+

Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit

you say 'really ?'
    your mom says 'nah lol'

ptr is ptr

it ain't done yet.
    sorry bro but this is way off base..

It would be like your mother saying.. "hey buddy we are gonna by you a car cause you desperately need it for getting to school on time." then they proceed to show you the car they are going to buy you. its cost. and where its being sold. then a month or so later they tell you that they dont have the correct credit card to buy the car.. so your just going to have to walk to school and attempt to make it on time.

but hey no big deal right?

These analogies are thrown around every time a PTR buff gets reverted, and you're just begging for a big fat "QQ moar."

SWP haste locking would have made us OP, and without it we're hovering comfortably around the top of the hybrids, but beneath the pures.

A pretty nice place to be, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kootz
    sorry bro but this is way off base..

It would be like your mother saying.. "hey buddy we are gonna by you a car cause you desperately need it for getting to school on time." then they proceed to show you the car they are going to buy you. its cost. and where its being sold. then a month or so later they tell you that they dont have the correct credit card to buy the car.. so your just going to have to walk to school and attempt to make it on time.

but hey no big deal right?
    you still wouldn't have the right to moan about the loss of something you never actually had.

and besides which your interpretation still implies finality.

ptr is ptr.

nothing is done and dusted til it goes live.

you seem to have missed the point that its a test realm. y'know, where they test stuff.
    and if one methodology doesn't work they test another . . .

GC gave a direct invitation for people to talk to open a dialogue about this topic yesterday.

no one has done so yet.

plenty of threads like this one around the net tho.

gee thx Brox...

There are a couple of constructive threads on the official forums talking about the impact that reverting the change will have and what some other options could be.

On a bit of an unrelated note however - many people have brought up that auto-refresh mechanics are in general pretty bad, and that SWP is not the only spell in the game carrying temporary buffs. It appears they are trying to fix this (and presumably SWP too). According to EJ they have updated diseases for death knights in the last PTR build. http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t72364-u...step_time/p49/ (towards the bottom of the page).