Poll: Opinion of Gearscore

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...

Re: Gearscore....love it or hate it & why?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal
    It's cool that in addition to being useless, there are also multiple accepted ways to calculate a GS which produce vastly different numbers.

I obviously don't know much about GS because I've never used it. I just know the very obvious mathematical problem behind calculating someone's use based on their gears' item levels.
    You don't have to use an addon to educate yourself; I hope you realize this. I hope you also realize that this whole post isn't directed specifically to you.

Go to google, type in gearscore. It's not like WoW isn't one of the most popular games in the world and what you're looking for won't be at the top or near it, afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearscore Addon
    In-Game Armory - Allows you to view any player in your database's equipment and GearScore
    Oh? So you mean on top of having a raw score provided to you by the addon, you can also pull up an in-game armory page for any individual you have logged in your database? So you mean those pesky 4K+ PVP only players can't trick you with all their resilience gear? Or you mean that if you do see all resilience gear you might actually have to ask them about it or try another reference like the armory? Or what about those mix/match PVE/PVP geared folks? Guess they can't trick you either. What about those hunters with really high GS because they stole a resto shammy's entire outfit (as if that sort of stuff actually happens with any real regularity that it even needs a mention, but all the haters out there like to throw that idea into the mix so it needs it's own counter)?

Give me a break. You can look at every single piece of gear with the same addon that provides the raw score and you can use your own brain and figure out that, "oh hey, his GS is a little low, but that darn trinket must be hurting him just a touch, I bet he'll do fine, anyway". Wow, was that so hard? Or "oh my, this guy's rockin' a 4800GS, oh frick, NVM! It's one of those hunters in resto shammy gear! lulz". Or how about this one, "This holy pally has a great score, ope, too bad he didn't realize the lower iLvl Libram is actually a bit better for him, I'll pass on this guy since he seems to only care about his GS" Our brains have to account for something, right!? The tool is just a starting point right!?

Many people ask me to simply use the same formula these websites do. There are a few problems with that. The first is I don't wish to steal a formula from a website and brand it as inline with their scores. Those sites make $$ from advertisers and if I steal their work I'm also stealing their money. Another problem with this is that the armory gives these websites more information then my mod, therefore they are able to take into account additional factors when calculating scores.
    Amazing, at least that explains the different metrics between online reference sites and in-game addons.

The scores are based on how blizzard assigns stats to an item and take in account ilevel, rarity, and equipment slot location. Scores scale smoothly as player's level up and obtain new items.
    Oh wow, you mean the difference between an i200 trinket like greatness and an i226 like mjolnir is only 42!? Where as the difference between an i200 epic chest and an i226 chest is 75 GS difference!? Man, absolutely zero thought went into how to weight a trinket slot compared to a chest slot! All those greatness trinkets must really wreck a GS into the ground! (If you didn't quite catch it, there was some sarcasm there)

It's a tool people. A pretty good one in my honest opinion. You can't blame a tool. Only the stupid people that can't put forth a little effort into using the tool beyond the raw number score. The same tool, the same addon that provides a raw score, actually provides so much more if people weren't as lazy as some of them out there are.

No tool is 100% substitute for brain power. It's amazing the kind of data the tool provides for your brain to process, but so few are processing anything more than just a number they see on the screen. Can't blame the tool for that. The blame goes to those dumb dumbs.

10+ Year Old Account

it used to be a very good designator of what a person has/has not accomplished, but nowadays it doesn't effectively do that, which is where wow-heroes.com comes in, with the ability to show what raid achievements some1 has achieved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

-huangzhong9

Hate it, and doesn't determine anything.

My Paladin has always been ret. From early BC(It's a Draenei) untill just into Ulduar, when i took a break from the game. I picked up pieces for my Holy set here and there.

Now i retured, and decided i'd try Holy as a main spec. Well, pugging is hell on virtual earth. Heroics are no problem usually, but oh dear, no 10 mans! Don't even start about 25 mans.

It's not polite to say this about myself, but i've been playing this game for over 4 years. I know the ins and outs of just about everything in this game.

But hey, my gearscore is to low, and all i get for that is a big FU.

Remember to take all things in moderation (even World of Warcraft!)
    When interacting with other players a little kindness goes a long way!

Gearscores are terrible. =/

I love when i get an invite cause addon says i've 4700 gearscore on my ofspec gear and when group inspects me see that i don't have 'chants or gems (insta kick). Shows how gearscore is awsome.

Sarcasm mode _ OFF

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77
    Oh another story about my personal experience with Gearscore & how "wonderful" of a mod it is. There was a guy putting together at 10 man Ulduar no hard modes in trade last night. I was on my hunter who's in some Ulduar 10 & 25 gear, T7 helm (horrible luck with helm drops), T8.5 chest, some Toc/H ToC gear, Ulduar crafted gear, Greatness, Mirror, and Giantmain Legs because they were better than anything else I've came across other than the deadly legs which I just got told were better. I got told I wasn't geared enough for 10 man Ulduar. You know the place people went in with T7/7.5 gear and cleared it. I just replied back "you're kidding right? I'm in gear that drops from in there & from the 25 man AND I have done all the hard modes with my main". He just replied back "your gear score sucks". I got told a similar thing to a 10 man Ony & 10 man VoA this week too.

Another story not related to gearscore (well helps prove skill > gear) is back when I was on Tortheldrin before going back to my old server. I was actually on my hunter at the time farming BGs for honor & got a whisper from my old GM asking for me to be the OT for ToC 25 with my DK tank. This pug was the top 3 guilds on the server running alts in ToC and they were short a tank which is why I got the whisper. Mind you my DK isn't all that geared. He's in 5p 7.5 with some conq badge gear & and had the Gossamer on. Not exactly what you would call the "ideal" tank for 25 man ToC. We ended up clearing it just fine and only had a wipe once because of bad flames on the worms. had this been another group or a "regular" pug I never would have ran it because he wasn't geared for it. Funniest thing is my DK ended up getting some achievement that my priest hadn't got yet at the time and my priest had ran ToGC lol.
    Anyone who tells me "your gearscore sucks", just means im not interested in going anyways. When I do make groups, i look at peoples gear, thier spec, and achievements. Mostly i look for old world achivements, specifically when they cleared Sunwell, etc etc. Pvp gladiator titles are decent as well, as generally they at least have an idea how to play thier class. Gearscore is ok, but alot of these tards take it to the extreme that gear is everything.

Gear is only everything if your in a top 20 world guild pushing content when it premiers. Other than that, my old outdated, naxx gear (i quit for 6 months) has consistantly outdps'd other rogues, and even DK's and hunters and mages in ToC and other instances since my return 2 weeks ago.

Again, anyone who tells me my gear score is too low, i am not interested in running with to begin with.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Everyone who votes "a must have for PUGs" should delete their char and cancel their account.

Never seen any1 asking for it on my server, and if I see... I'll just make fun of how I outdps their full Conq DK's with my blue geared Hunter. (srry, gearscore sucks - true story)
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

fucking stupid prolly the worst addon made. they made armory for a reason

GEARSCORE IS FTW. IF YOU HAVE LOW GS DONT TALK TO ME BITCHES!

But on the non-trolling side. If i mouse over someone when im pugging toc 25 and they have 4k GS. Im not gonna bring them cause that means they wanna be carried. Now say it takes about 4.6k gearscore to be in ToC 25. Someone has 4.4 4.5. im not gonna say no as long as they know the fights.

PEOPLE THE SAME WAY GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.
    THE ADD ON ISNT DUMB ITS THE PEOPLE BEHIND IT WHO"CAN" BE DUMB

Gearscore is a piece of data, and as such, can be useful when making decisions. There are some who swear by achievements, but you can be 'carried to achievements nearly as easily as good gear. That having been said, it is only a *single* piece of data. If you make *any* decision based solely upon a single piece of data... you get what you deserve.

What I do not like about gearscore is that it facilitates what I refer to as Mud-Flation: The "need" for a certain level of gear to access any given content raising as time goes by, when, in fact, it should decrease.

What these mud-flationist gearscore adherents fail to remember is that they themselves were unable to meet the requirements they now demand whan they themselves first entered the instance. They had to rely upon friends or strangers who looked past their current gear and decided to give them a chance to prove themselves. Failing to do so in kind is simple hypocrisy.

Gearscore is shit. My addon, which is actually accurate when evaluating my own gear, says that my armory gear is worth 5090, and rhadatip says its worth 8070 dps. If I replace embrace of the spider with dying curse, gearscore goes up to 5111, and rhadatip goes down to 8012. Just useless.
    Author of the gear/gem optimizer addon RhadaTip (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/rhadatip-dps-tooltip.aspx)

I like being able to look at a piece of gear and just by looking at the gear score know about how strong it shoul dbe. I dont like how people use gear score as a way to determine player skill, because it is not accurate. Good gear does not a good player make.
    I'm going to do some real damage!

Gearscore doesn't account for things such as if the piece of gear is even viable for your class/spec.
    It's just a worthless number.

Use other methods to determine someones viability in a raid.

Dead DPS don't DPS.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Gearscore and achivements dont mean shit.

Honestly.

So stop being the douche in trade saying you need x GS for heroic or higher.