Dropping Tailoring for JCing?

On my disc/holy priest, I'm currently a maxed tailor and enchanter, with all the traininable recipes but none of the new raid drop epics recipes.

I was thinking of dropping tailoring and picking up JC, but am not sure how much added benefit I would get from it.

I have a mining alt so farming for the mats isn't an issue.

Benefits from tailoring: Cloak enchants, free cloth from mobs, can make bags and mooncloth for cash.

Benefits from JC: Better gems.

I don't find much utility in tailoring any more. The high end recipes were great when you first hit 80, but I've long passed those by. It seems like the JC would be more useful at this point with the better gems.

As far as money making goes, picking up the free extra cloth while farming heroics provides some easy gold, as well as selling off moonshroud when the cooldown is up. Would I be able to make some profit right now as a JC or is the market too flooded?

Thanks.

Re: Dropping Tailoring for JCing?

im not sure if you're more interested in the buff to your char or for making money. I'd keep the profession you already have maxed and level JC on an ault if you want to. Gems barely sell for a proffit anymore on my server and its expensive to level.

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawk92555
    im not sure if you're more interested in the buff to your char or for making money. I'd keep the profession you already have maxed and level JC on an ault if you want to. Gems barely sell for a proffit anymore on my server and its expensive to level.
    I'm interested in both. Learning JC would be costly and it doesn't sound like it would be any more profitable than tailoring. So would the JC buffs be more useful than the tailoring buffs and enough to justify the hassle? I'm leaning towards no.

15+ Year Old Account

IMO, you are perfectly fine with your current professions on your priest. If you want a JC in general for the gem cutting feature, level up an alternate character.

15+ Year Old Account

yeah have an alt make the gems. the pve benefit from each of the professions is minimal unless you are min/max freak. ie: the amount of extra spell dmg from the cloak enchant is = to the amount of extra spell dmg from the 3 gems.

that would be my advice too

i've done min maxing proffs and its a pain in the backside when they change them about and you them feel swayed towards another for the sake of 40 dps or some miniscule crap.

tailor/enchant is a 'classic combo' and still has decent utility and bonuses. its been a little off this expasion because there hasn't been an obvious 'sweet spot' tailored item that can be DEd for mats but given how much they screwed up dust in WotLK i think that'll be back in Cata.

i would say consider JC on whatever you might roll on Cata. i actually play Priest too as my main and he has tailor/enchant now and i'm seriously considering rolling a Dwarf Shamen in Cata with mining/JC (just seems to 'fit')

PS. there a small fortune to be made in Bags coming up if you are smart . . .
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

I wouldn't dream of dropping tailoring. The profit to be made from leg enchants, bags and lower level gear is incredible.

The other week my net connection went tits up and I was left with such poor latency that raiding was out of the question. I spent the time finally looking at how to make some gold from my professions (Alchemy/Tailoring) and since then I've bought the Mammoth with vendors, the Hodir mammoth, have power-levelled Engineering to 450 and secured over have half the mats for the bike and still have more gold than what I started with.

On a good night you can make about 400g just from Sapphire Spellthread alone. Don't get me wrong, this takes time and a bit of research and probably wouldn't be as profitable on every server, but if you're looking at this from a gold-making point of view, give tailoring a proper go before ditching it in favour of jewelcrafting.
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

JC is long and expensive proffesion to level.
    However, you can make ALOT of gold.
    People on my server that have every recipe simply need to link the JC, ask for a 15g fee and watch the money coming in.

Thanks for all the advice. Definitely going to stick with tailoring, will probably pick up JC on my latest alt.

Many have said what I'm going to, but I'll add my two cents, especially considering I did exactly what you are planning to do a month or two back.

Previously I had Alchemy/Tailoring, and it was alright, but nothing mindblowing. I then dumped Tailoring for Jewelcrafting. It cost me about 2000g to level up, but I have a fair amount of cash so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Personally I have no regrets and I'm really glad I did it. On the PvE side the gems offer a far more visual upgrade to your gear, rather than a proc on a cape (in my case, since I'm a caster) and on the money side of things I'm made quite a fair bit from this + enchanting on an alt, at least until the market tanked.

But yeah, as I said, it's up to you, but just speaking as someone who took the plunge themselves I would say go for it if you aren't so struck for cash.

It was also a pretty fun thing to do. I'm a bit of a shoppaholic and it kept me occupied for a day or so buying and levelling, a break for the norm.

JC is by far the most profitable job guys...whatever you do even the most crappy move you will gain money from it.
    Buy all the saronite bars from ah (bellow 18g a stack)
    Make a prospecting macro
    Cut blue gems (usually they sell for as much as the saronite costs and even more)
    Make green rings/necks from green gems
    Make a disenchant macro
    ?
    Profit.

that's how dif it is to become rich.

How much do you earn per day/week using this method, and how much /played does it take to do it in? Just curious how it compares to what I earn with tailoring.
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!